Choosing a suburb?!?!

loumish

Hi everyone,

I am planning on moving to the UK next year with my partner and our 2 dogs and in desperate need of some advice as to which area to move to. Obviously we both have never been over so needing some info on what suburbs are what i suppose. I have heard London itself is very expensive so we are happy to live just out of the city if need be.

We are currently living in Melbourne spending approx $400 (just under) Per week in rent and are wanting something similar when moving to the UK. Somewhere with a garden for the dogs!

Very broad question i know but any info i could get would be great! :):rolleyes:

Hi,how far from London are you prepared to go?I lived in Wokingham(approx. 30 mins by train from London)and we were paying £1,000 pm.It was a nice place though,3 bed Victorian semi which was quite large.I would start looking at some real estate sites to get an idea.

Hi,how far from London are you prepared to go?I lived in Wokingham(approx. 30 mins by train from London)and we were paying £1,000 pm.It was a nice place though,3 bed Victorian semi which was quite large.I would start looking at some real estate sites to get an idea.

Yeah i think approx 30 mins from the city would probably be the furthest we would want to go. Been looking at a few real estate sites but i guess its a little hard when we dont have a clue where any of the suburbs are... might have to do the old print out the map trick and go by that. Would prefer to pay a little less than 1000 if possible. So much to research!!

Have you thought about living in some counties just outside London but not London or is it specifically the London boroughs you want to be in? Xx I live in Kent, come from Essex, friend living in Surrey, take about 40-50 minutes on the train to central London or is that too far? X

Hi, To be honest we have only really started to think about it all.... we dont necessarily have to be right in the centre but still being young and love to head out for drinks dinners etc... we would prefer easy access in and out of the city without it taking too long to get there i guess. Saying that im sure there are plenty of places to head out to whereever you are i suppose!

Not sure you can get anywhere nice that is close to the city at $400 a week

Good area of London if you are young is Clapham/Balham/ Anything on Northern Line around there maybe Tooting too. That seemed to be improving a couple years back when I was there

Not sure you can get anywhere nice that is close to the city at $400 a week

Good area of London if you are young is Clapham/Balham/ Anything on Northern Line around there maybe Tooting too. That seemed to be improving a couple years back when I was there

Ok, well good to know that much at least! I noticed a lot of rentals in Clapham actually with similar pricing and garden space (for the puppies) to what we are looking for.

Again, it doesnt have to be London itself... naturally that was the obvious choice when thinking of making the move to the UK.... but we are happy to broaden our horizons also :)

Hi, To be honest we have only really started to think about it all.... we dont necessarily have to be right in the centre but still being young and love to head out for drinks dinners etc... we would prefer easy access in and out of the city without it taking too long to get there i guess. Saying that im sure there are plenty of places to head out to whereever you are i suppose!

Forget London and move to sunny Brighton, we have lots of Bars, Restaurants and Boutique shopping, great nighlife along with some fantastic history and you'd only be a short 50 minute train ride from central London. There are some fantastic places to live with rents around the £1000 pm mark very close to the sea pushing to £1300+ for 3 bed and then if you live say 20 minute walk from the centre you can pick up a three bed house for £1200 ish pm.

We have lived here for nearly 20 years and whilst originally lived right in the centre have slowly moved out to the outskirts, however are still only a 25 minute ish walk away from the centre and will very regular and reliable public transport it's a doddle.

Feel free to pm me if you want more info and a good place to start for property rental is www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/Brighton/

Hi Loumish! It's important to remember that whatever you want in London, so does a lot of other people. The amount of people that would love to be within the magic '30 minute' commute of London is incredibly high. Therefore if you're wanting to be able to compete with that demand, then it'll cost big ££! You may already have a job and salary confirmed, if so ignore the next sentence. Although $1600 a month and £1000 is the same when converted, it's not in real terms. £1000 is a worth a lot more in real terms and a lot harder to earn, when living in the UK economy. Therefore just be careful getting into something that you later find out is way above your means. London is a fantastic place, provided you have the money to enjoy all it has to offer. Therefore if I was you, I'd rather add on 15 minutes to my commute, if it meant I had the money to go out and about in London. It's pointless living closer to London, if you don't have any money left over in your budget to actually go and enjoy it.

It really depends on the area you want and what you're into (in terms on entertainment).

Not to be the bearer of bad news but I think that finding a one bed flat in clapham with a garden for £1000 will be a bit of a struggle. . .you'll probably find places but either the flat or the garden are likely to be a little on the small side (e.g you'll be lucky to get a garden that's bigger than 4mx3m). . .plus you'll have to find a landlord that will allow you to have pets (I'm thinking that this'll be the biggest challenge for you).

Also are you including the walking time to public transport in your 30 minutes to the city request? It's also worth noting that 'the city' is quite big and there are various areas in central London so you may be 30 minutes to some places but not 30 minutes to others if you get my drift?

I'm writing this as someone who has lived in London for 90% of my life and I've lived all over so feel free to message me directly for more info. I'm also part of a young-ish couple (28 and 30). Will you be looking for work? The location of your workplace would probably be a good focus of where you live as some places are an easy 30 minute commute away and other areas of London that may seem close could take 90 minutes to get to due to the awkwardness of the public transport. . .good luck though!

You've got to ask why London? There are many other places. I know you probably don't want to go up North, because it's grim up there, but there is Bristol, Bournemouth, Winchester, Brighton, Eastbourne, Canterbury, Reading, Cambridge, Oxford just to mention a few of the better know towns. The south east of the UK is more densely populated than Brisbane. There is a lot to choose from.

You've got to ask why London? There are many other places. I know you probably don't want to go up North, because it's grim up there, but there is Bristol, Bournemouth, Winchester, Brighton, Eastbourne, Canterbury, Reading, Cambridge, Oxford just to mention a few of the better know towns. The south east of the UK is more densely populated than Brisbane. There is a lot to choose from.

Oi you, its not that grim! Theres plenty nice places. Im a bit fed up of people acting like the south is the most amazing place to live and that the north is some sort of craphole

Oi you, its not that grim! Theres plenty nice places. Im a bit fed up of people acting like the south is the most amazing place to live and that the north is some sort of craphole

I meant the north of England. Scotland is lovely, Add Perth, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Edinborough to the list

I'm English and I can't stand most of North England that I've been too lol, I love the Lake District, the places in Scotland where I've been are lovely, I've driven through a lot of it back from the Stranraer ferry, like everywhere including down South there are some crap places all over the UK lol xx

intrigued to know why further north is grim? further north has great places and some great countryside and actually i find a more relaxed lifestyle with the people acknowledging you with a simple smile or hello..........."grim" is pretty derogatory!

intrigued to know why further north is grim? further north has great places and some great countryside and actually i find a more relaxed lifestyle with the people acknowledging you with a simple smile or hello..........."grim" is pretty derogatory!

It was the title of a song - Google it.

Hi everyone,

I am planning on moving to the UK next year with my partner and our 2 dogs and in desperate need of some advice as to which area to move to. Obviously we both have never been over so needing some info on what suburbs are what i suppose. I have heard London itself is very expensive so we are happy to live just out of the city if need be.

We are currently living in Melbourne spending approx $400 (just under) Per week in rent and are wanting something similar when moving to the UK. Somewhere with a garden for the dogs!

Very broad question i know but any info i could get would be great! :):rolleyes:

As a young fella, you want to be somewhere close to night life etc. I grew up in Bournemouth and it was just the best place to be a young'un.

London is tremendously expensive, and somewhere like Bournemouth would give you all the night life you want, plus the added bonus of being near great beaches and the New Forest. The weather is also much, much warmer than the rest of the country. Bournemouth has more sunshine hours than any other place in the UK. Expect snow maybe once every 10 years or so.

It's also 1 half hrs away from London via the M3, so you get the best of all possible worlds.

Tony

Edited by vidtek
extra bits

hiya,my family and are heading your way.We live just out side Portsmouth about 60 miles south of London and about five miles to so ok beaches.Rent is cheap in Portsmouth 800 to one thousand pounds a month for a three bedroom house.check out .http://www.therightmove.co.uk.It takes me about one to two hours to get up to the smoke.Look on a map and follow the A3 road heading south though surry.Guildford also nice but dearer the more south the cheaper .good luck.