Dishwasher Salt

Incata

Our dishwasher is out of salt and we cannot find dishwasher salt in any of the major supermarkets. Do they sell it here or do people just put ordinary salt into their dishwashers? Alternatively, is it called something else?

Thanks

Guest Ptp113
Dishwashers in Aus don't even have a place to put salt so no surprise it's not sold here. We're six year into our present machine with no problems or obvious sediment so apparently things are just different here.

Really? all Miele dishwashers use salt and the vendors have plenty of it. Maybe others do too?

Guest Ptp113
Thanks for the help folks. I'll stop looking now!

Available in many places. If you can't find any I'll get some and post it to you.

Guest littlesarah

I'm sure one of my friends told me that her dishwasher came with a leaflet telling her that salt isn't required in Australia (she has a Miele). But I could be wrong. You can find out your water hardness and decide whether you will need salt (where I live the water is soft, so no salt required!).

Really? all Miele dishwashers use salt and the vendors have plenty of it. Maybe others do too?

Really? back at you.

Including our early holiday rentals and previous address, we've used Aussie model Electrolux, Samsung, Fisher and Paykel and now a Dishlex dishwashers and NOT ONE of them has even had a compartment to put salt. I've just got back from shopping and my local Woolworths definitely doesn't sell dishwasher salt either (which they certainly would if there was any demand for it).

if you have a made-in-Europe model that is different from those aimed at the Aussie market. Perhaps I should have added weasel words like "all the ones I've seen" but the fact is that very few dishwashers sold in Australia use salt--and they seem to work fine without it. And for Sprintman, I don't appreciate being accused of "shooting from the hip" when I have pretty firm evidence that I'm basically right. How many Australian dishwashers have YOU seen and used? And what are the many places that sell dishwasher salt? Certainly not my local Woolworths or Coles.

Sheesh. Try to help somebody and you get jumped on from all sides. This forum is turning from a useful place to an insult festival.

Guest Ptp113
Really? back at you.

Including our early holiday rentals and previous address, we've used Aussie model Electrolux, Samsung, Fisher and Paykel and now a Dishlex dishwashers and NOT ONE of them has even had a compartment to put salt. I've just got back from shopping and my local Woolworths definitely doesn't sell dishwasher salt either (which they certainly would if there was any demand for it).

So please don't accuse me of "making a goose of myself" if you have a made-in-Europe model that is different from those aimed at the Aussie market. Perhaps I should have added weasel words like "all the ones I've seen" but the fact is that very few dishwashers sold in Australia use salt--and they seem to work fine without it. And for Sprintman, I don't appreciate being accused of "shooting from the hip" when I have pretty firm evidence that I'm basically right. How many Australian dishwashers have YOU seen and used? And what are the many places that sell dishwasher salt? Certainly not my local Woolworths or Coles.

Sheesh. Try to help somebody and you get jumped on from all sides. This forum is turning from a useful place to an insult festival.

Oh and I know it's hard for poms to get their heads around, but not everything comes from Woolies and Coles. Look elsewhere and be amazed!

Oh and I know it's hard for poms to get their heads around, but not everything comes from Woolies and Coles. Look elsewhere and be amazed!

Did it occur to you that if you have to go to a Miele shop to get it maybe the use of salt is a Miele thing? Heck, maybe even a way of extracting needless extra money from Miele customers.

I don't go to Coles and Woollies for everything--meat from a butcher, fruit and veg from a great fruit and veg shop near us. However, in terms of dish washing stuff if Woollies and Coles don't carry it, it certainly indicates a lack of demand.

Edited to Add: This "Pom" is actually Canadian and I arrived in Australia six years ago via 31 years in the UK. I'm well aware that there are differences between countries.

Edited by Bobbsy

Guest The Pom Queen

Most people use it if they live in a place with hard water (Adelaide is suppose to have the hardest water followed by Brisbane and Perth) you can get some all in one tablets that have salt already built in, if not get some pool salt as this does the same thing.

Or you could buy it onine http://www.mieleshop.com.au/dishwasher-care-products/cb_Catalog1/miele-au The Miele dishwashers are becoming very popular over here and they all say you need salt, blah, blah, blah whether or not you do is a different matter but I'm unsure if it would void your warranty on a new Miele dishwasher.

Have a read here http://powerrepairs.com.au/?page_id=345

Guest The Pom Queen
Did it occur to you that if you have to go to a Miele shop to get it maybe the use of salt is a Miele thing? Heck, maybe even a way of extracting needless extra money from Miele customers.

I don't go to Coles and Woollies for everything--meat from a butcher, fruit and veg from a great fruit and veg shop near us. However, in terms of dish washing stuff if Woollies and Coles don't carry it, it certainly indicates a lack of demand.

Edited to Add: This "Pom" is actually Canadian and I arrived in Australia six years ago via 31 years in the UK. I'm well aware that there are differences between countries.

As posted above or below depending on how you read the forum it is personal preference if you add salt or not, I know people who do and people who don't. I have seen it in both Woolies and Coles but never bought it (maybe that's why my dishwasher has packed in lol) The Miele dishwashers tend to have the machines set for European markets where the water is a lot harder.

Anyway whether you choose to add it or you don't makes neither member wrong so lets not fall out.

Only thing is, so far it seems like the only Dishwashers anyone has mentioned that even have the capacity to use salt are Miele. All the Aussie models I've seen so far don't have the compartments to put salt.

Perhaps the difference is the fact that most tablets shown here are the "all in one" type or whatever--but the use of salt seems to be pretty uncommon here except maybe for Miele. FYI, the first two of the four brands I mentioned were in Brisbane, the second two here in Toowoomba. I don't know if you can categorise our water as hard or soft--for our first few use it was mainly pretty foul bore water but, since it started raining it's been nice stuff from the local streams and reservoirs.

Anyhow, sorry if I reacted but I took exception to being insulted because there seems to be one exception to the norm I stated.

Guest The Pom Queen

[h=3]Proper Maintenance Is Important[/h]

• Load your dishwasher properly to get the best wash. Generally, the top basket is for smaller, less soiled items and the bottom basket for larger, dirtier pieces.
  • Dishwashers have a filter where food debris gets caught and this should be cleaned regularly. Check how easy it is to reach and remove the filter.
  • Some dishwashers require you to use dishwasher salt (to soften the water); rinse aid (to reduce drying time and leave a smear-free finish); and detergent in powder, tablet or liquid form.
  • Use a dishwasher cleaner regularly to degrease and freshen.

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/appliances/dishwasher-buying-guide.html