register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

TurnersInOz

South - South-west Brisbane suburbs

Hi there

My husband has been offered a job in South West Brisbane, we were planning on renting in North Lakes/mango hill, which is a largely modern development with just about everything a/my family could ask for:

Parks

Swimming complex

westfields

BMX ramps

nice school with good reports

reasonably flat for walking with pram and running

beach close by (although not a surf beach)

cycle tracks

Large library

gym/plenty of activity classes for the children

easy access to the motor way

and the future promise of an entertainment complex including cinema and restaurants

I was wondering whether there may be a similar area on the south/south west side of Brisbane, I was thinking of pacific pines (GC), but that is a similar distance away to north lakes.

Does anyone have any knowledge of similar suburbs that we can check out please, any information would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you

If your husband is working in South Brisbane then living in North is a really bad idea, he will have a hellish commute every day, not only from the roads he'll have to use, but because he'll have to cross over the river..... if I were you, working South, live in the South... he could easily spend 2-3 hours commuting per day otherwise....

Exactly where abouts in SW Brisbane as that covers a multitude of areas so is a bit confusing. Are we talking Logan, Ipswich or Brisbane city Councils to start with. If it is towards Ipswich then Springfield Lakes area may suit your needs but no idea about schools. Also, how much do you want to spend on rentals or buying a house? Please PM me or I may not see your answer for weeks!

Hi there

My husband has been offered a job in South West Brisbane, we were planning on renting in North Lakes/mango hill, which is a largely modern development with just about everything a/my family could ask for:

Parks

Swimming complex

westfields

BMX ramps

cycle tracks

Large library

and the future promise of an entertainment complex including cinema and restaurants

I was wondering whether there may be a similar area on the south/south west side of Brisbane, I was thinking of pacific pines (GC), but that is a similar distance away to north lakes.

Does anyone have any knowledge of similar suburbs that we can check out please, any information would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you

Thanks guys. I realise it's a bit vague, that's because we haven't got the faintest idea about South West Brisbane, but thinking anywhere that way is obviously better in terms of commuting that here in the north. The 2-3 hours commute every day is what were trying to avoid. His job is in Sumner.

I think springfield lakes would be the best bet as an alternative to North Lakes. Anything around the Inala area I would steer clear of personally. Graceville area is nice

I think springfield lakes would be the best bet as an alternative to North Lakes. Anything around the Inala area I would steer clear of personally. Graceville area is nice

Hi, ok have a look at http://www.whereis.com/ you can key in Sumner and it will bring up a map to show all the local suburbs, you can also then key in a second suburb and it will give you distance in time and KM between the two. You can also key in something you are looking for like schools, shops, churches and again it will give you a list and a icon on your map.

Graceville is beautiful we lived there for 20 years, BUT it floods SO if you like the area make sure you are on the high side so Graceville West, Chelmer West, Sherwood West. Over near sumner you have Jindalee and "WestLake" http://www.whereis.com/#session=Mjg1 just like North Lakes but in the west. Our towards Figtree Pocket is also really nice. Springfield Lake has nice parts but it borders Redbank plains, Collingwood Park places to stay well away from. Schools look at http://www.myschool.edu.au/ you can key in a suburb and it will list schools in that area, scroll to the bottom once you have brought up a school then click on numbers, it will give you the schools results, in simple terms red is bad, white is the same as similar schools and green is above average results.

Hope it helps

Hi there

Parks

Swimming complex

westfields

BMX ramps

cycle tracks

Large library

Thank you

Ahhh South West Brisbane is not North Lakes, strongly advise against renting in the North of the City if you have to commute to the south (maybe a mistake your post, you meant south east QLD?)

+1 but id say Anywhere in the "Greater Springfield Development", Springfield, Springfield Lakes, Augustine Heights, Brookwater, a few minor differences but not much in it.

http://www.greaterspringfield.com.au/index.php

I also quite like Forest Lakes as another option for South West.

Edited by Battleneter