Citizenship Timelines and City Council

PTobin

Application was online. But i didn not submit any documents as i only have an ipad at home.

The office is Perth

Letters arrived at my address. Afraid i cant tell you the date on them as i am not at home now but back at work till mid of next month.

You don't have to submit docs but take them with you to the test

Hi all,

My wife and I applied through he Brisbane office and for general info this is our timeline:

Endo of April - applied online

appointment and test Mid-July (longer than the 10 working days!)

Approved Mid-August :)

We're awaiting a ceremony date, but not expecting this to arrive quickly - it seems to be a slower process in Brisbane at the moment!

I had called up DIAC to know of any updates to my citizenship application and I mentioned to them that their client service charter says of 10 days within which we can expect details of test date, etc.

The person told me that the charter needs updating, and now for Brisbane it is taking more time than that.

It seems it can now take up to 8 weeks to know of test details after application is lodged.

So the person asked me to wait for another month and even then if I don't receive any news from them, then can call DIAC to check.

Can't do anything now, will wait for another month.

Phab

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

It's been 8 weeks now since lodging our Citizenship applications online.

My wife received her test dates by email yesterday. I didn't receive any mail yet.

I called DIAC to know of any updates to my application.

The guy to whom I spoke mentioned that the applications get assigned to different case officers and they then assign each application to a specific date/time for test. It could be possible that our applications are assigned to different case officers so we will get mails regarding our test dates at different times. Now DIAC asked me to wait until 3 months are complete from lodgement date, by then I may receive an email with my test date. Will wait patiently :) anyway can't do anything else.

Phab.

Hi All,

Just a quick update say my test today (changed test due to work commitments). Got 100% in test pretty easy and done in like 3 mins flat!! Told to today that its going to be like 6 week wait to be approved and then three months for ceremony however called my local council (in perth) and they next available test they have is February. So the long wait continues :(.

PT

Hi HappyHeart,

Yes we submitted with different email addresses.

I think even if we had given the same email address we may have not got the response on same time/day. This is just my thought, but you could be correct.

Phab

Did you submit with different email addresses..I only askas we used same onee and my emailwas under my husbands, came through on same one

here's our timeline for citizenship;

applied online for all 4 of us on; 07.09.13

email replies confirming test dates; 09.09.13

test date; 10.10.13

location; newcastle, nsw

no test for our youngest but an interview as she is over 16 but under 18 yrs old.

total cost; $940

all docs and paperwork to be taken with us.

have been out of country for 1 year (3 yrs ago) so police checks for wife and i again (cost 108 uk pounds total)

police checks should be back to us in next 2 weeks

newcastle office said if checks not back by the 10th still attend to take test and then forward on check after

all very informative and helpful so far.

now spending time revising for the test :goofy:

• 3 weeks later...
I received my approval letter in late April and 6 months later I'm still waiting for DIAC to contact me regarding a ceremony date.

What should I do?

I think you should contact DIAC and check the cause for delay. It could be possible that your local council does not conduct frequent citizenship ceremonies. Also check with your local council about when the citizenship ceremonies are held, you may then know how long you may have to wait for your ceremony. 6 months seems to be a long time after application approval for ceremony.

Phab.

• 1 month later...

Citizenship complete had a ceremony in Perth due to a backlog.

Timeline as follows:

Lodged: 09/08/2013

Test: 17/09/2013

Ceremony: 30/11/2013.

Passport applied for and should have it by the end of this week. Finally a long drawn process completed came here on a WHV and now a Citizen :).

Best of luck to everyone else be it applying for a visa or citizenship.

PT

Great thread

Okay BEGal has got her confused head on...so please be gentle!

Questions - After you've done the obligatory 1 year on the PR visa and not been out of the country for 12 months, CAN you then go out of the country? Or will travel out of the country be added to any period you accrued during your 4 years of waiting etc?

And/or when you get through everything, does any time still get added to those months accrued? My year on PR ends in April 2014, so I want to apply asap.

I'm not good at communicating this but I notice that the ceremonies are a few months after you've taken the test and been approved...I am wondering if all of the waiting time gets added?

I ask because I want to go back to the UK next year and don't want to travel until I have at least sat the test and been approved. Not sure I can wait until the ceremony.

I hope I've explained myself properly there.

Great thread

Okay BEGal has got her confused head on...so please be gentle!

Questions - After you've done the obligatory 1 year on the PR visa and not been out of the country for 12 months, CAN you then go out of the country? Or will travel out of the country be added to any period you accrued during your 4 years of waiting etc?

And/or when you get through everything, does any time still get added to those months accrued? My year on PR ends in April 2014, so I want to apply asap.

I'm not good at communicating this but I notice that the ceremonies are a few months after you've taken the test and been approved...I am wondering if all of the waiting time gets added?

I ask because I want to go back to the UK next year and don't want to travel until I have at least sat the test and been approved. Not sure I can wait until the ceremony.

I hope I've explained myself properly there.

The main thing to watch is that you are not out of the country for more than 90 days in the year of applying. They dont (from my experience) seem to worried about the rest

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but doe anyone know if you have to sit the test/interview in your local council or can you do it anywhere and further on can you do the citizenship ceremony anywhere or does it have t be in your local council area/shire? Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You will be invited to do the test at your nearest DIAC office - usually a capital city. I imagine you could do it at another.

You must do your ceremony at your local council

in a online application process it shows my citizenship application is approved. But its been 2 weeks i haven't recieved any conformation letter from immigration. basically how long does it take to receive a conformation leter from DIAC

thanks