Citizenship Timelines and City Council

PTobin

Hi Guys,

Just a few quick questions. First off I notice there is not alot of Information for citizenship as there is with visas on blogs and forums (correct me if I am wrong of course).

I have been living in Australia since February 2009 and in August 2013 I will be a full year on PR so I can officially apply for Australian Citizenship.

My questions are as follow:

1. What is the turn around at the moment for sitting the test i.e. from the date you apply on-line to dat you sit test.

2. Once the test is completed how long to Ceremony (With the Ceremony I am well aware that its dependent on the local council however ATM I am looking for a rough estimate if anyone has that information)

I spoke to Australian Citizenship today and also some of my mates whom are going through the process and they are saying its between 6 to 10 months all inclusive.

The reason I am curious is I want to book a few months overseas for a bit of travelling and looks like Ill be able to plan nothing until after May/June.

Any information is greatly appreciated. And thanks for taking the time to read. Also if there is a spreadsheet with the date applied what council etc might be a good idea some similar to https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtjmLt4bD4fJdGstYU9ZcHJJRUJHV05GSXRHUXdNY2c#gid=0

Cheers,

PT

Hi

I found the waiting time varied depending on the centre. For example we rang Brisbane to make an appointment and was told there wouldnt be a space for a few months, we rang Gold Coast and sat the test a few weeks later.

If i remember correctly from receiving the invite in the post to attending the ceremony was around 4 or 5 months.

Its probably best to ring your nearest test centres and ask them for approximate waiting times if your waiting to go away.

Lots of luck with everything

Cal x

I applied Feb, sat in the test 2 months later in April and approved the same day (letter sent a week later). Received the ceremony invitation today, so nearly 4 months later. Ceremony in 3 weeks time. Brisbane city council.

Update: Attended my ceremony tonight. It was an emotional moment after a long wait. :-)

Edited by jabangun

I just checked our status, we attended the appointments on Wed and today, Friday, all approved! When do you find out the date of the ceremony, says on website an invitation is sent 3 weeks prior but surely you know the date beforehand? Am interested to know as currently a 5 to 6 month wait in my area which could mean an Australia day ceremony?

Hello All,

Seems like I have found the right post, PTobin thanks for starting this.

I have lodged our citizenship application on 21st July, all required documents uploaded on 24th July, Brisbane council.

It seems depending on the numbers of applications at Brisbane, it may take me around 2-3 months for an appointment for the tests. After that it may take another 2-3 months for the ceremony. If I hear something earlier that would be good :) Just waiting to hear some update from the DIAC.

Will keep you all updated on the application progress.

Phab.

Hi

I found the waiting time varied depending on the centre. For example we rang Brisbane to make an appointment and was told there wouldnt be a space for a few months, we rang Gold Coast and sat the test a few weeks later.

If i remember correctly from receiving the invite in the post to attending the ceremony was around 4 or 5 months.

Its probably best to ring your nearest test centres and ask them for approximate waiting times if your waiting to go away.

Lots of luck with everything

Cal x

Hi CalNgary,

When you say you called up Brisbane do you mean Brisbane DIAC? I thought when you call DIAC it goes to their centralised call centre somewhere, how were you able to called DIAC Brisbane directly? If one can call Brisbane DIAC directly, when is the right time to check with them for availability of test appointment (I mean how many days/weeks after lodging the application)?

Thanks.

Phab.

Edited by Phab

Hi CalNgary,

When you say you called up Brisbane do you mean Brisbane DIAC? I thought when you call DIAC it goes to their centralised call centre somewhere, how were you able to called DIAC Brisbane directly? If one can call Brisbane DIAC directly, when is the right time to check with them for availability of test appointment (I mean how many days/weeks after lodging the application)?

Thanks.

Phab.

Yes, the number they gave us will end up at a call centre somewhere...

There is a direct number for Brisbane Ceremony team. Also an email. I don't want to post here to avoid everyone calling them.

Can you tell us how did you obtain the contact number? It is perhaps more useful to people here as we live in different part of the country and many are not in Brisbane.

Thanks PHAB hope all goes well it does seem like a slow enough process :( I'm hoping more people share their experiences as there is not much info out there.

PT

While you still have your enthusiasm, can you try other sites and make a links from this thread? Here are some examples:

* expatforum.com

* australiaforum.com

* whirlpool.net.au

* saaustralia.org

* pinoyau.info

* britishexpats.com

Edited by pomsi

BTW, when are you going to apply? and at which DIAC office?

Can you start a GoogleDrive spreadsheet? I can help with researching existing info and put them into your form.

However, many people didn't specify their DIAC offices that the applications were processed. You may need to contact them individually.

Edited by pomsi

Yes, the number they gave us will end up at a call centre somewhere...

Can you tell us how did you obtain the contact number? It is perhaps more useful to people here as we live in different part of the country and many are not in Brisbane.

Yes, sorry I didn't mention about it before. Basically prior to online application only, during one of my face-to-face visits at DIAC, I asked for the direct number and was given a small paper with a phone number and email.

Have you had a look at department reports?

http://www.immi.gov.au

In the reports, citizenship is

* outcome #2 for 07-08 and before

* outcome #6 from 09-10 onwards....

The approval rate for application for citizenship by conferral is falling without explanation:

05-06 96.8% (86.2% of applicants approved on the day of lodgement)

06-07 96.2% (26.1% of applicants approved on the day of lodgement)

1 October 2007 - The first version of the citizenship test was introduced.

07-08 91% (23% of applicants approved on the day of lodgement)

08-09 92.5% (19.7% of applicants approved on the day of lodgement)

19 October 2009 - The second version of the citizenship test was introduced.

09-10 92%

30 June 2010 - Transitional residence requirements ended. Number of applicants fell 32%.

10-11 87.9%

11-12 84.7%

So, the low approval rate is due to the test...???

http://inside.org.au/citizenship-for-beginners/

I don't think so. Look at 11-12 number

http://www.immi.gov.au/about/reports/annual/2011-12/html/performance/outcome_6/decisions_on_citizenship_status.htm

People approved for conferral of Australian citizenship = 95 776

• 71 662 clients sat the Australian citizenship test
  • 70 744 clients (or 98.7 per cent) passed the test
  • 87 101 tests were administered, including re-sits where clients did not pass the test on their first attempt.

There must be a reason?

http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/search/display/display.w3p;query=Id:committees%2Festimate%2Fecomd890928a_ece.out%2F0031

SENATOR DURACK -What is the rejection rate of those who apply for citizenship?

SENATOR ROBERT RAY -Very trivial; a criminal record would be one of the reasons. I suppose the highest rejection rate relates to those who do not meet the two-year qualification period, or the qualifications under the Act.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508645

+ there is scope in policy to defer grant of citizenship to those with business skill visas that are potentially subject to cancellation.

Edited by pomsi

Can complete my time line

Applied 12 June

Sat test 25th July

Received notice of approval 30th July

Received invitation to ceremony yesterday

Ceremony booked for 28th November.

Congratulations! About 1.5 month from application to approval is reasonable and is well with in DIAC 60 CALENDAR day processing time frame...

Can you tell us more?

* Online or paper application?

* which DIAC office?

* Received = letter arrived at your address? (If so, what are the dates on the letters?)

• 2 weeks later...

Good to know PTobin that you got a test date.

So that was like in a week you received the test date. What is your council?

For me it's been 3+ weeks but haven't received any updates (other than lodgement confirmation and "application being processed" message). Mine is Brisbane council.

I have checked online "The Citizenship by Conferral Application Process" and it says that applicant can expect DIAC to:

"- provide you with a letter within 10 working days of application lodgement which contains your citizenship test or interview appointment details, a reference number and contact details for our Citizenship Information Line."

Ref: http://www.immi.gov.au/about/charters/client-services-charter/standards/2.5.htm

Maybe this is again conditional, depending on the council.

I have a question, prior to my citizenship test can I travel overseas? What impact will this have on my citizenship application?

Thanks.

Phab

Brisbane council has a long waiting time. It took a month to get the letter for the test then another month for the actual test.

Approved same day then a 4.5 month wait for the ceremony which was earlier tonight!

I'm pretty sure you can travel, but best check with DIAC. I traveled overseas a week AFTER the test, so not sure if BEFORE the test is an issue or not.

Congratulations! About 1.5 month from application to approval is reasonable and is well with in DIAC 60 CALENDAR day processing time frame...

Can you tell us more?

* Online or paper application?

* which DIAC office?

* Received = letter arrived at your address? (If so, what are the dates on the letters?)

Application was online. But i didn not submit any documents as i only have an ipad at home.

The office is Perth

Letters arrived at my address. Afraid i cant tell you the date on them as i am not at home now but back at work till mid of next month.