What kind of shoes do primary school children wear for school ?

barnabus72

Hi, arriving in September and got my 7 year enrolled at Wellington Point primary - just wondering if its worth me buying him some shoes before we get there ?

do they have to wear black like the Uk?

its great that this is currently my only worry, given we are leaving in 5 weeks !

I don't know the school but contact them first. Most private schools will stipulate what shoes, at the public primary my children went to it was runners (trainers) or the shoe that was in fashion (volleys at the time). My daughter said that when she started, she didn't want to stand out too much and just wanted to fit in with what everyone else was doing. We've been here 6.5 years now and my two haven't worn 'proper' school shoes in all that time.

My sons have been to private and state, the private school they had to wear black shoes and the state school they could wear runners or shoes. Have to say more wear casual or no shoes at all as they are walking out,lol, even in the rain.

Both of our girls are at state school, and they have to wear smart black shoes as part of their uniform, and that is boys and girls, so I guess it depends on the school. If the school has a website, you might be able to find a uniform list or handbook on there.

My eldest went to a local public school and although they had a uniform the rules were pretty lax. They could get away with trainers most of the time. My youngest went to private school and they were very strict with the uniform and shoes. They had black shoes, don't have to be clarks, you can get decent cheap shoes here too. By the time the kids have kicked the football round every lunchtime for a few weeks an expensive pair will last as long as a cheap pair.

Sorry, just realised you were only asking about primary school. Both wore trainers and not until secondary school did the black shoes come in. They had a uniform at primary though. It was red shorts and a green polo shirt with a logo in summer. In winter they had trackie bottoms and a jumper too. Not too expensive and you can buy second hand ones from the school shop or friends, once you get to know a few people.

Edited by Paul1Perth

Guest littlesarah

Personally, I wouldn't stress it too much about shoes being from Clarkes - in my experience some of their shoe fitters do a less than satisfactory job and the bottom line is that expensive shoes can be just as inappropriate as cheap ones, and vice versa. If you can learn how to fit your kids' shoes yourselves, you can always ensure that what they're wearing is the right size (and stand to save a few quid on shoes that are also made in a developing country, and in my view are over-priced for the quality).