How the UK sees rudds decision.

Perthbum

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? My grandmother and most grandmothers I know (real ones not the 35 year old Telford ones) are the least tolerant people I know. You could have a great chat with my gran about immigration.

Think about it for once.....years ago our grandparents looked out for one another.....if there was a problem your street got together...if a women went into labour neighbours would look after the women's other kids....it was a far more caring country than the selfish I am alright and stuff the rest society we live in today.thatcher was an evil cow and I opened a bottle when she kicked the bucket.. She did so much harm to this country...she made it...I am alright jack..and &&&& the rest.

I think this is a good solution and may work.

Although I note that PNG is only 4 km by boat from Northern Queensland so have some reservations that could be a problem later.

I think this could be win-win if Australia continues providing support to PNG, rebuilding their hospitals and such which is part of the announcement.

But I expect the boats to stop, which is the aim of the exercise, as many of the asylum seekers will now choose to stay home, or target a closer country that they like the sound of.

Selfish world we live in cal....I'm alright jack is the norm, I am sure my grandparents grew up in a nicer more tolerant world.

You're joking. Previous generations were much less tolerant of difference - racial, ethnic, religious, class, gender, sexuality, birth status (illegitimacy) etc

Get off PIO and go and read some history books.

Its a desperate measure by a sleazy politician to try and win an election. PNG is one of the most dangerous places on earth, its 3rd world and I doubt the locals are going to be very happy about this. I wonder what the UN and Red Cross will make of this?

would love the sleazeball Rudd and his family to live there for a year....horrible evil man.

Guest Ptp113
would love the sleazeball Rudd and his family to live there for a year....horrible evil man.

You haven't met his opposite number in the Noalition...............

Guest Guest16631
So no solutions are offered.

Typical, how the complainers offer no solutions of their own.

I hate that trait in people, complain, complain, but never offer a better way of achieving what is needed.

........there have been many alternative solutions offered......over the years.....

.........but until a worthy politician takes them up........

.........they will mainly just remain ...ides.......

.........Australia ...IMO......needs to take its fair share of the international refugee burden.....

.........and perhaps invest in a regional protection framework.......to raise the human rights standards...

.........so much money is spent ......keeping these people out.....

.........but by doing more to protect and promote the rights of these people on our doorstep.....improving standards...

..........instead of pushing the problem away.....

..........a large part of the incentive to board dangerous boats would be removed......

.........just one of the ideas out there..............!

So no solutions are offered.

Typical, how the complainers offer no solutions of their own.

I hate that trait in people, complain, complain, but never offer a better way of achieving what is needed.

I think the solution has to be a humane and speedy assessment process which takes place on Australian soil and not in a country which Australia warns it's own citizens against travelling to. Otherwise you're putting already traumatised people in a situation where they run the risk of being further traumatised. After a fair assessment, a proportion of those seeking asylum will probably be found to not merit it and should be returned to their country of origin, the remainder then need the requisite assistance to rebuild their lives in safety. There are financial costs of course to the assessment and establishment of asylum-seekers as well as to to returning unsuccessful claimants, but the PNG solution will come at a cost too, and more than a financial one.

For the people who don't like Rudd's solution to stop the boats.

What is your solution to stop the boats, or do you not want to stop the boats at all ?

There is no need to 'stop the boats' - it has just become a national obsession. The numbers involved are negligible - Australia takes relatively few refugees and could take a lot more. Australian society would hardly know they were here. It also takes far longer to process them than other countries.

Like the White Australia Policy, this seems like a good idea at the time to some people, but decades in the future this will be another shameful episode in Australia's history.

But when a country is founded on genocide, xenophobia is ingrained in its DNA, sadly...

........there have been many alternative solutions offered......over the years.....

.........but until a worthy politician takes them up........

.........they will mainly just remain ...ides.......

.........Australia ...IMO......needs to take its fair share of the international refugee burden.....

.........and perhaps invest in a regional protection framework.......to raise the human rights standards...

.........so much money is spent ......keeping these people out.....

.........but by doing more to protect and promote the rights of these people on our doorstep.....improving standards...

..........instead of pushing the problem away.....

..........a large part of the incentive to board dangerous boats would be removed......

.........just one of the ideas out there..............!

Well said Tink. Right-wing idealogues often demand that the Australian Armed Forces be used more combatively to deal with the issue of people arriving by boat, overlooking that a) the Australian Navy have been involved in numerous rescue missions, and b) their intervention also comes at a cost to the tax-payer, just like on-shore or off-shore processing does. Both party leaders seem to fret so much about the views of "hard-working Australians," well, all the options for managing asylum-seekers cost tax-payer dollars, so why not go for a humane option?

[/b]

I think the solution has to be a humane and speedy assessment process which takes place on Australian soil and not in a country which Australia warns it's own citizens against travelling to. Otherwise you're putting already traumatised people in a situation where they run the risk of being further traumatised. After a fair assessment, a proportion of those seeking asylum will probably be found to not merit it and should be returned to their country of origin, the remainder then need the requisite assistance to rebuild their lives in safety. There are financial costs of course to the assessment and establishment of asylum-seekers as well as to to returning unsuccessful claimants, but the PNG solution will come at a cost too, and more than a financial one.

Not a solution that will stop the boats.

It would actually encourage a massive increase in boats.

Edited by parleycross

A good start would be to abandon Christmas Island and giving up all sovereignty thus making it so much harder for boats to get here.

Step 1 anyway!

That is another possible idea I like. Give or Sell Christmas Island to Indonesia.

but I don't think there is much support for this unfortunately.

I don't see any good reason why we have it. It is much closer to Indonesia than Australia and is more suited to being one of their many Islands.

We got it from the UK I believe, but agree give it to Indonesia.

The current residents may need some convincing though.

Not a solution that will stop the boats.

I don't think it's possible to prevent people boarding a ship and eventually ending up in Australian waters, unless the Australian Navy were to patrol international waters and to do what?, board or tow boats about to cross into Australian waters?. What then do you do with the people on those boats?