How the UK sees rudds decision.

Perthbum

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oz can do what it likes as it is Oz and it just goes to show that people are now saying they will not get on a boat if they have to go to PNG so why not, if its so bad where they are, I would get on the boat for PNG if I was a desperate person.

It just goes to show they are economic migrants who want to jump the queue.

Sorry I do not feel sorry for these people, I feel sorry for those in camps waiting for years and years for a country to take them, everyone who jumps the queue on a boat takes the place of some other person waiting.

Obviously its all about them and they have the cash for people smugglers wheres these others do not have the cash, just the hope.

Who will make the best citizens, people who wait their turn in my book.

i don't know where to start with these comments...you have no idea..maybe do some volunteering with asylum seekers to get some insight..

What will be very telling about these asylum seekers is if , as I strongly suspect, many of the latest arrivals decide to go home rather than be processed in PNG.

When this happens it will prove they are not genuine asylum seekers at all.

What will be very telling about these asylum seekers is if , as I strongly suspect, many of the latest arrivals decide to go home rather than be processed in PNG.

When this happens it will prove they are not genuine asylum seekers at all.

Reportably already happening with many that were waiting to get on the boat...

Guest Guest66881

So if a coach load of euros pop across (illegally) specifically to land in stratford and they all work in the pub game you're happy then are you?

The big issue is those that cross sfe haven borders where they could have claimed refugee status, but chose not to. To me, regardless of origin, they are now economic migrants. And yes, that means 99% of those in the UK are economic migrants and should not be treated as refugess.

With the boat people from Sri Lanka, there are serious questions about how many (if any) are genuinly fleeing persecution. Those coming from Indo, it is a harder thing as Indo is not a signatory of the UN convention and there are well documented cases of refugees being abused.

Listening to ABC radio here you would think everyone was against it, until they get people ringing in and get the true feeling anyway.

Anything to do with asylum seekers ABC will always have someone from Human rights watch, from the Church or one of the many refugee support groups. Never seem to have the other side where someone might actually support it.

It's always interesting when they open the phone lines though....

....and this nation can vent it's fear and loathing towards a tiny number of frightened, destitute people who threaten the entire fabric of the Australian way of life by arriving here by boat.

Guest scrumpy

But surley safer than what fleeing from, or wouldnt flee?

And as we all know, everywhere can be un-safe

The post was a good one until you got to the 'kept safe' bit...png is not a safe place to be.

But surley safer than what fleeing from, or wouldnt flee?

And as we all know, everywhere can be un-safe

not visited png or where my clients come from but after googling and speaking to colleagues from png it doesn't sound great, torture, rapes, death penalty possibly brought back to control to huge issues with violence...after suffering torture and trauma in the country of origin I wouldn't want to re traumatised by the goings on png...

It is pretty certain reading what is written on here that if it was a vote on retaining The White Australia Policy years ago what the outcome would be.

It is a waste arguing a different point to counter ill informed tabloid views.

Ah yes. "the good old days".

not visited png or where my clients come from but after googling and speaking to colleagues from png it doesn't sound great, torture, rapes, death penalty possibly brought back to control to huge issues with violence...after suffering torture and trauma in the country of origin I wouldn't want to re traumatised by the goings on png...

Of course a totally unsuitable place for most anybody, apart from NGO workers, whom live a privileged life in third world countries anyway.

Besides Australia's paternal treatment in bribes and costing the tax payer in this country a fortune, the plan will only work if the boats stop coming. The legality of the whole thing is highly debatable. The PNG opposition do not support the plan. Looks neither does the present government there does either.

Guest Guest16631

.....unfortunately the real story of asylum seekers and refugees is ......

......far from common knowledge in what has become fearful, bigoted society. ........when faced with this issue...

......and our politicians like that ..............we need to refocus on the truths.......

...... it is not illegal to seek asylum

........and not all the world's people live in safe and civilised places,......

.........by constantly useing the word......illegal.......

.........it incites fear ..........and anger....

.........time we looked past politician and media dramatics......

.........at the truth ........for many desperately seeking......

.........what many take for granted.........IMO.......tink x

Edited by Guest16631
Spelling

Asylum seekers: Australia's day of shame

A protester holding a banner in Melbourne on 20 July 2013. Photograph: Debra Jordan/Demotix

Cowardice asks the question, is it safe?

Expediency ask the question, is it politic?

Vanity asks the question, is it popular?

But conscience ask the question, is it right?

- Martin Luther King Jr

Australians think of themselves as decent people who give others a fair go. We shine when we help each other after disasters. Everyone feels good about pitching in to get through a bad time.

That’s why Friday was a day of national shame.

Our prime minister abandoned the fair go for desperate people seeking asylum in our country, and instead made his election pitch by outsourcing their suffering to Papua New Guinea, one of our poorest neighbours.

Far from “boundless plains to share”, Australia has sent a message to the world that we are a closed community willing to pay off anyone to get rid of an electoral problem. It’s Labor to the rotten core. It shames us all, because we are better than that.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/20/rudd-asylum-seekers-day-of-shame

Selfish world we live in cal....I'm alright jack is the norm, I am sure my grandparents grew up in a nicer more tolerant world.

Really? My grandmother and most grandmothers I know (real ones not the 35 year old Telford ones) are the least tolerant people I know. You could have a great chat with my gran about immigration.

Edited by wolvesaussie

It sure was a selling point for a lot of pom immigrants in the dark distant past.

I think it still is. The perception being for some White British immigrants that Australia is a country where ethnic minorities " know their place," to quote a prospective migrant I met in the UK earlier this year. I know that many on these forums angrily refute complaints about Australian racism, but this issue keeps on recurring as a discussion topic on these forums. The Australian Prime Minister using 'the boats' in an attempt to outflank his opposite number to win an election looks pretty tawdry.

Guest Guest16631

......the attitude of some saddens me........

.......we read on here the reasons some cannot settle.......they miss family and friends......so return.....

.......the search for familiarity in food and culture........

.........or have found a contentment.........in a lucky country.....

..........a choice of somewhere to call home......and embrace the difference.....

.........yet cannot show compassion and want to help improve the predicament......

.........of a people forced to leave their homeland......with little or no chance of returning or perhaps wanting to....

........a people taking a chance .......a risk.........forsaking all they have......

.........just for a chance at life.......

.........homeless means so much more than no dwelling place......

..........and must be a truly tragic place to be.........

All i will say is PNG is one of the most dangerous crime ridden places in the area. Australia even has a traveling warning currently. If i was an asylum seeker i wouldn't want to go there it's probably no safer than where they've come from.......Shame, shame, shame Mr Rudd. I know something has to be done to stop them coming on boats and dying but not sure this is the way to do it.

Really? My grandmother and most grandmothers I know (real ones not the 35 year old Telford ones) are the least tolerant people I know. You could have a great chat with my gran about immigration.

My partner comes from Telford not sure about the 35yr old grandmother but it does seem to have it's fair share of chavs. Having said that there are a lot of fab people there too.

I agree a number of older folk grew up in another time. Be that in UK or Australia, the latter where the Yellow Peril was a dominant fear for many generations. Still some bring up Enoch's name in UK as being a man of vision in their eyes. Younger folk would wonder whose he.

Just what is the issue ? If the greater majority of asylum seekers are proved to not refugees, as is widely claimed then they should be returned. No argument there. The Foreign Minister claims as much. That being the case why is it necessary to place people in PNG?

All Australia has to do is pull out of the convention which will free it from the apparent burden of hosting asylum seekers.

They will then be free to accept those already gone through the process and accept accordingly.