Where to buy big potatoes? (For home baked jacket spuds)

Goochie

We have never found any in the time we have been here

Occassionaly if the supermarket/veggie shed has just put out a new display there may be the odd one in there, but I think the big ones go off to the factories for chips etc

We use the Nicolac spuds, and usually have to have 2 or 3 small ones each, to make up a decent size jacket spud

The bizarre thing is that my wife picked a recipe magazine recently that had suggestions for what to do with jacket spuds yet we cant buy them!

I did wonder if it's something to do with WA soil?

Incidentally, Spud shed have sweet potatoes the size of rugby balls!

As others have asked, where are you?

We've never had any problems with this--both our local supermarket and the fruit and veg shop we use have a "normal" (i.e. similar to Britain) range of potato sizes so it's something I've never thought about. In fact, our local Woolworths even do sealed packs of usually 4 large washed potatoes for baking--though I rarely use these. It's cheaper to just buy four large loose potatoes and scrub them.

Anyhow, the lack of big potatoes must be a local thing--maybe worth complaining to your supermarket manager.

How big do you need spuds to make jacket ones? I popped to our local IGA yesterday, grabbed some out the top of the box and they made great jacket potatoes.

I'm sure most in the whole box would have been just fine. We have them a lot and the only difference between "normal" size ones and bigger ones is the lemght of time they take to cook. Have 4 small ones instead of 2 large ones, tastes exactly the same.

As others have asked, where are you?

We've never had any problems with this--both our local supermarket and the fruit and veg shop we use have a "normal" (i.e. similar to Britain) range of potato sizes so it's something I've never thought about. In fact, our local Woolworths even do sealed packs of usually 4 large washed potatoes for baking--though I rarely use these. It's cheaper to just buy four large loose potatoes and scrub them.

Anyhow, the lack of big potatoes must be a local thing--maybe worth complaining to your supermarket manager.

Well OP is on west coast, I am on east coast. You must be very lucky in Toowoomba, we have been looking for big potatoes for three years and not seen a single one.

:biggrin:

Here in WA the biggest Coles/Woolies spuds are still smaller than a tennis ball!

Spud shed not much better

I'll have to try IGA

A tennis ball! I wish, I have never seen spuds (here) even approaching the size of a tennis ball..

Guest guest73691

This thread made me smile as I was only thinking to myself yesterday that none of the supermarkets near me (I'm in Sydney) do big enough potatoes!

Weird the differences. I just checked the basket where we keep our potatoes and, because of the things we've been cooking lately, we ONLY have big ones left from the mixed bag we bought earlier this month--some bigger than I'd want for a typical baked potato. I just measured a couple and they're about 130-140cm long and bigger around than I can stretch my fingers and thumb.

Honestly can't think of why it would be so different in different places.

Also wondered if that is why I don't see many places selling jacket potatoes.

friends of ours have baked potato stalls that are at all the big events all over Victoria (motoGP, superbikes, Formule1, Melbourne show etc etc) and they buy them by the pallet here, specially graded for baking.

They are readily available here in Vic at least, you probably just need to order them specially at the local greengrocer. I know a lot of fruit and veg from Vic gets shipped interstate as well, so cant see why you cant get them in Brissy, NSW or Perth.

Weird the differences. I just checked the basket where we keep our potatoes and, because of the things we've been cooking lately, we ONLY have big ones left from the mixed bag we bought earlier this month--some bigger than I'd want for a typical baked potato. I just measured a couple and they're about 130-140cm long and bigger around than I can stretch my fingers and thumb.

Strewth!

My understanding is that it is not the "Size" but more the variety which is important. I think variety is the key. From my recollections it's all about the tastiness and the crispy skin. Can someone who knows their stuff make enquiries back at home and ask what "variety" they use and let me know. I can then talk to the guys in the industry and find out what are the best potatoes to do the job. I write a weekly article in a major rural newspaper so I could actually ask the question of the readers in my article. How does that sound ?

Good lord you do have big potatoes! :err: