Moving to Brisbane

Jordanhaskins

HI

We are arriving in Brisbane in 6 weeks. We are a family of 6. I was looking for some advice on locations. Having done hours of research North Lakes is coming out as the winner. I would be grateful for any advise on this area. My husband needs to be close enough to commute to CBD. 3 of my children are school age so schools are an important factor. Their ages are 2.5, 4, 13 & 15. Also activities for my younger child and sports for the older ones. Also advise on anyone who has done this move with children and how easy/hard it was please.

Thank you

I assume you've got temporary accommodation booked for a couple of weeks. In this time have a drive round. NL tends to get polarised opinions. Some people see it as a "nice estate" like in the Truman Show. But, it's got everything you need.

Commuting to the CBD is doable from there. Does your husband actually have a job there, or is that where you think it's most likely he'll get one? The reason I ask is that if he ends up getting a job south of the river I wouldn't live north of it. And vice versa.

HI

We are arriving in Brisbane in 6 weeks. We are a family of 6. I was looking for some advice on locations. Having done hours of research North Lakes is coming out as the winner. I would be grateful for any advise on this area. My husband needs to be close enough to commute to CBD. 3 of my children are school age so schools are an important factor. Their ages are 2.5, 4, 13 & 15. Also activities for my younger child and sports for the older ones. Also advise on anyone who has done this move with children and how easy/hard it was please.

Thank you

I work with a couple of people who live in North Lakes they really like it, But the drive home can take along time with traffic (1 hour or so). Hard to recommend suburbs without a general budget limit and what sort of house you are looking for (I assume a big one)

HI

Thank you

We have lived in North Lakes for over a year now and feel really settled, it really depends on personal choice really which you won't know until you get here. There is a lot of building and development in North Lakes so its a very new area. We live nearer the lake so the properties and land size is bigger and also older and more established then at the back, it really depends on your budget and type of property you are looking for. Mango hill is also a good area with some nice good size houses. We like NL/MH as its near to all amenities, sports, parks, it's not too far from the beaches and commute into the CBD is fine, obviously at rush hour then there is traffic but again depends on what you are used to in a commute, my husband commutes in regularly and doesn't have a problem with it, he says it takes around 30 mins. There are 3 main primary state schools in NL and mango hill, North Lakes state college which is from prep to 18 and has around 2000 pupils, then there is also mango hill primary which is new, small and has a great reputation and Bounty Boulevard primary, the primaries depend on where you live as they are quite strict with catchment areas but if there is a school you like it's always worth trying to apply, may be worth arranging a tour of the schools to see which suits. The primaries then feed into NL state college or I think Kallagangur but I'm not definite about that. There are also quite a few private schools in the area which are a lot cheaper than in the UK but its all personal preference really as to what suits your family.

Hope the move goes well for you and if you have anymore questions just ask, if you fancy a meet up when you get over let me know, we have a 4 yr old and 2.5 yr old as well.

HI

Thank you

Hi Jordan

You are asking lots of questions - its a bit like asking about where do you wan to live in London !! - North Lakes is brilliant when you couch it on the basis of a relative commute to what most Uk nationals have to put up with BUT really what you are asking is about comparing Mayfair with the London East End - No Comparison - it all depends on budget, lifestyle, support networks etc etc you want.

So many questions to ask and answer - Schools and kids are generally so much better over here.

The bottom line is get over here and find some temporary accommodation then go looking - it might cost you more in the short term but will save you heaps in the long term - and you will be happier with your decision

Good luck

I assume you've got temporary accommodation booked for a couple of weeks. In this time have a drive round. NL tends to get polarised opinions. Some people see it as a "nice estate" like in the Truman Show. But, it's got everything you need.

Commuting to the CBD is doable from there. Does your husband actually have a job there, or is that where you think it's most likely he'll get one? The reason I ask is that if he ends up getting a job south of the river I wouldn't live north of it. And vice versa.

Hi

He has not secured a job yet. We were looking at NL more for the children going to school with there being so many Brits there. We are staying with his family in Hervey Bay for first week to get over flight with children. We were going to come down to North Lakes then and find some temporary accommodation near by to see what we think of the area or surrounding area. But I think we will wait for my husband to find work before we make our final decision. Thank you for the advise.

HI

Thank you for your replies. I have heard lots of different reviews on NL. After reading peoples replies we have decided to find some temporary accommodation near by so we have time to look around before committing.

Edited by Jordanhaskins
Thought I was replying to 1 person

We have lived in North Lakes for over a year now and feel really settled, it really depends on personal choice really which you won't know until you get here. There is a lot of building and development in North Lakes so its a very new area. We live nearer the lake so the properties and land size is bigger and also older and more established then at the back, it really depends on your budget and type of property you are looking for. Mango hill is also a good area with some nice good size houses. We like NL/MH as its near to all amenities, sports, parks, it's not too far from the beaches and commute into the CBD is fine, obviously at rush hour then there is traffic but again depends on what you are used to in a commute, my husband commutes in regularly and doesn't have a problem with it, he says it takes around 30 mins. There are 3 main primary state schools in NL and mango hill, North Lakes state college which is from prep to 18 and has around 2000 pupils, then there is also mango hill primary which is new, small and has a great reputation and Bounty Boulevard primary, the primaries depend on where you live as they are quite strict with catchment areas but if there is a school you like it's always worth trying to apply, may be worth arranging a tour of the schools to see which suits. The primaries then feed into NL state college or I think Kallagangur but I'm not definite about that. There are also quite a few private schools in the area which are a lot cheaper than in the UK but its all personal preference really as to what suits your family.

Hope the move goes well for you and if you have anymore questions just ask, if you fancy a meet up when you get over let me know, we have a 4 yr old and 2.5 yr old as well.

HI

Thank you for your reply. It is very reassuring to hear from someone who is there and enjoying it. I have heard lots of different reviews on NL. After reading peoples replies we have decided to find some temporary accommodation near by so we have time to look around before committing. A meet up would be great once we arrive and get settled. One more question if that is ok? How was the flight with the children being so young. I am dreading it!