Anyone done IELTS recently?

Kezzles

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to get 36 for an eight. Keep practising and stay positive.

Debs

I've printed another one for tomorrow night, too tired now! Thanks for that link loads of practice tests on there!! I didn't check answers I struggled with still had 20 mins to go but my dinner was ready so rushed it lol! No excuse though will try harder tomorrow :err:

Ha ha. Can't think on an empty tum. I thought it was just me but some of those true/false/not give questions are really tricky. And the people you talk to about it laugh and say how hard can it be. I wanted to take a test in for everyone to do at home and see how we'll they do lol.

enjoy your dinner and start afresh tomorrow.

Debs

They do but for points purposes you need at least all 7s in each band for 10 points or all 8's for 20. Not sure why they give an overall. My overall each time has been 8.5 but I only got 10 points as kept getting a 7.5 in one :-(

Ahh not good! I need 7 in all for 10 points but was hoping I will get 8's across all 4 so I can claim 20. Less pressure to prove last 8-10 years experience I can settle with past 5 then. I will do my best on Saturday that's all I can do! Did you find writing difficult ? Letter bit looks easy, essay guess depends on the subject (general test)

I sat it late June and found that probably the most taxing part was the written test if you're a native speaker (as I am supposed to be - I was brought up in France by British parents meaning that for the Australian Medical Council I had to sit the IELTS exam).

The oral part was quite straight forward and I don't think I particularly did very good answers but remained fluent throughout and managed to crack a few wry comments. (IIRC the theme was about national holidays in your own country - I discussed the issues of blind nationalism, the fact that it does have good community building elements to it but that younger people probably don't find it too relevant and prefer online hangouts).

The written gives you enough time to plan a little so I'd spend a few mins jotting down the points you want to make (pros and cons if that's the overall question being asked) and have a simple but clear structure in paragraphs. This is where my French education kicked in - every essay needs an introduction where you set out the problem and explicitly tell the reader you'll be first exploring the arguments against/for then the arguments for/against (the last part should always be the side you are arguing in favour of). Then a short synthesis and a conclusion.The description of the graphs (I was doing academic) was actually slightly trickier and I felt required more planning to make sure you don't miss any comparison (I think it was part one of the written part).

So all in all, I think if you're a native speaker the real banana skin in the written part - it doesn't matter how grammatical your English is, if you head down the wrong alley answering the question incorrectly, you'll struggle to get a good score on it. FWIW, I got 9.0 in all sections though I think I was slightly lucky on some on the listening and written answers as some were delightfully difficult to answer and if you thought too much about it you could make yourself believe that two of the answers were equally valid and depended slightly on your point of view (not on your understanding of the English language).

Its not so much that the essay is difficult its the way you set it out. It has to have clear defined paragraphs and like above post re being clear about what your writing about. I used English Ryan on you tube and managed to boost to an 8 but unfortunately that particular test I dropped my listening to a 7.5! However Ive since gone down the 190 route and hoping for the golden ticket any day!

I sat it late June and found that probably the most taxing part was the written test if you're a native speaker (as I am supposed to be - I was brought up in France by British parents meaning that for the Australian Medical Council I had to sit the IELTS exam).

The oral part was quite straight forward and I don't think I particularly did very good answers but remained fluent throughout and managed to crack a few wry comments. (IIRC the theme was about national holidays in your own country - I discussed the issues of blind nationalism, the fact that it does have good community building elements to it but that younger people probably don't find it too relevant and prefer online hangouts).

The written gives you enough time to plan a little so I'd spend a few mins jotting down the points you want to make (pros and cons if that's the overall question being asked) and have a simple but clear structure in paragraphs. This is where my French education kicked in - every essay needs an introduction where you set out the problem and explicitly tell the reader you'll be first exploring the arguments against/for then the arguments for/against (the last part should always be the side you are arguing in favour of). Then a short synthesis and a conclusion.The description of the graphs (I was doing academic) was actually slightly trickier and I felt required more planning to make sure you don't miss any comparison (I think it was part one of the written part).

So all in all, I think if you're a native speaker the real banana skin in the written part - it doesn't matter how grammatical your English is, if you head down the wrong alley answering the question incorrectly, you'll struggle to get a good score on it. FWIW, I got 9.0 in all sections though I think I was slightly lucky on some on the listening and written answers as some were delightfully difficult to answer and if you thought too much about it you could make yourself believe that two of the answers were equally valid and depended slightly on your point of view (not on your understanding of the English language).

Just wrote a big reply and then lost it, bloody I pad !!!! So big thanks for top tips!!!

Just wrote a big reply and then lost it, bloody I pad !!!! So big thanks for top tips!!!

No worries! I just though of some further stuff I did. One thing I'd consider doing is thinking of topics and jotting down a set of points that you'd make. It doesn't really take long but it's a good exercise to make sure you can do it on the day.

So for example off the top of my head:

Globalisation: has it got more positives than cons?

Immigration: same

foreign travel: same

people living for longer: curse or panacea?

governmental subsidies for cultural activities: waste of money?

etc etc

I found that forcing myself to spend 5 minutes planning out what I'd write was not exactly easy but with some rigor I think I was better prepared for the day. Another thing to bear in mind is the length of time you have to write the essay and the expected length. Getting used to the timing of it is essential and on the day, it will all feel quite different and more compressed time wise. The initial idea blitz is a crucial skill to hone but the timing and length of essay is equally so.

Thanks Nik I'll definitely be spending first 5 mins planning it worked for my degree exams way back and helps you think more logically!

Thanks Debs I'll hopefully have time to count words! I sort of know what 250+ looks like! Two Ive written we're just over 300.

No worries! I just though of some further stuff I did. One thing I'd consider doing is thinking of topics and jotting down a set of points that you'd make. It doesn't really take long but it's a good exercise to make sure you can do it on the day.

So for example off the top of my head:

Globalisation: has it got more positives than cons?

Immigration: same

foreign travel: same

people living for longer: curse or panacea?

governmental subsidies for cultural activities: waste of money?

etc etc

I found that forcing myself to spend 5 minutes planning out what I'd write was not exactly easy but with some rigor I think I was better prepared for the day. Another thing to bear in mind is the length of time you have to write the essay and the expected length. Getting used to the timing of it is essential and on the day, it will all feel quite different and more compressed time wise. The initial idea blitz is a crucial skill to hone but the timing and length of essay is equally so.

Good tip about subjects I'll try that tomorrow night!

They do but for points purposes you need at least all 7s in each band for 10 points or all 8's for 20. Not sure why they give an overall. My overall each time has been 8.5 but I only got 10 points as kept getting a 7.5 in one :-(

The IELTS registration form asks you where and why do you want to go (aka the reason for sitting the exam, and in case it's migration then where do you intend to go) and, ahem, this way they know if you'll need a 6.5 or 7.5 Lots of useless questions on the registration form, and I know I'm right.

My results are in my signature below.

So just did reading practice test got 39/40!! Also write essay on global warming that was hard and had to cheat! I've got my structure perfect now just hope I get a familiar subject. Going to brain storm all the subjects I think could come up.

E.g education, global warming, immigration, elderly, computers, crime, travel, technogy, media, health etc...having a beer now

Guest guest30085

My speaking topic was about which advert made you go out and buy the product it advertised and why, and then what do you think about advertising in general. I've never made up anything as much as I did that day ;)

The speaking test is the easy one. I had 9s in all 3 tests (had to resit 3 times, kept failing the written) just speak slowly and clearly. throw in some big words if you can but you shouldnt worry about the speaking. you will fly it.

get the additional practise in on the written. the listening and reading are ok aswell, just make sure you pay attention to detail!

best of luck, let us know how you go.

The speaking test is the easy one. I had 9s in all 3 tests (had to resit 3 times, kept failing the written) just speak slowly and clearly. throw in some big words if you can but you shouldnt worry about the speaking. you will fly it.

get the additional practise in on the written. the listening and reading are ok aswell, just make sure you pay attention to detail!

best of luck, let us know how you go.

Hi donna

Thanks I'm worried about task 2 in writing the most! Speaking I'm fine I work in HR and talk a lot!! Lol I'm a good bluffer too reading I have to pay attention to detail as that's where I make mistakes, listening is ok. I'll be glad when it's 4pm Saturday and it's all over! Praying I pass first time!

I'm also starting to struggle with the writing! I think the more I do, the worse it's getting!

I hope I get 8s in all 4! I really don't want to miss out on any more of this weather to write essays, read the same thing over and over, listen to boring conversations and talking to myself infront of the mirror about my plans for the weekend, or my home town:chatterbox:

urgh! The writing was horrible, got asked to write about people who decide to stay in the same career as oppose to those who change careers!

Can't remember a lot of it but do remember using Lord Alan Sugar's name in there somewhere! The listening and reading was a breeze, the speaking through me off a bit. Got asked about my, whether I like boats and why and then about the last time I watched a ad on which made me actually go and buy something which was followed by more questions about advertising in general! The speaking lasted 22 minutes. Is there a difference between Academic and general speaking?