Advice - Holiday in Vietnam via Kuala Lumpur December 2013

BrownEyedGal

Hi All

I am going to Vietnam in December with 3 friends. I have to go just after Christmas because that's when the others can only get their holiday. So just after Christmas will be going to Hanoi and then onto Ho Chi Ming City (Saigon) via a 12/14 day trek with some hotels and food included.

BUT what I want to know is which is a nice hotel to stop in Kuala Lumpur as a stopover. I was told about the Citrus hotel but the reviews are mediocre on TripAdvisor. This will be my first stay - although short - in KL and I want it to be as good.

I want a nice air conditioned clean double room with views, good bathroom/toilet, a bit of a nightlife and brekkie and an area that's fairly safe at night.

As usual PIOers any advice gratefully received :cool:

ps. also any advice for Vietnam would be awesome too!!

BEGal

Don't know KL but Vietnam is great- fabulous food, cheap and tasty. In Saigon be careful with wearing jewellery round your neck, it can get ripped off. Lots and lots of motorbikes coming from all directions. Don't drink the water and don't clean teeth with it either, keep your mouth shut in the shower or you will get the trots. We went for an 8 day cruise down the Mekong which was great and not a mossie in sight ( a lot more here in Australia in fact) though we put the bushmans stuff on religiously just in case. You could also go into Cambodia and see Ankhor Wat, not that far and absolutely fascinating.You enjoy yourself!

Don't know KL but Vietnam is great- fabulous food, cheap and tasty. In Saigon be careful with wearing jewellery round your neck, it can get ripped off. Lots and lots of motorbikes coming from all directions. Don't drink the water and don't clean teeth with it either, keep your mouth shut in the shower or you will get the trots. We went for an 8 day cruise down the Mekong which was great and not a mossie in sight ( a lot more here in Australia in fact) though we put the bushmans stuff on religiously just in case. You could also go into Cambodia and see Ankhor Wat, not that far and absolutely fascinating.You enjoy yourself!

Wow! that is great recap on just what I want to enjoy with my friends.

I will be religious about the water as I get sick very quick. (Currently fighting off another cold/flu/cough which Ive had for about month).Did you buy bottled water or did you boil the water first before drinking?

Traders is excellent near Petronas, very good for the view of the towers at day and night, plus a skybar on the roof with pool. Near to a very expensive shopping centre.

Renaissance Marriott always did good value deals, not been for a few years.

KL is pretty safe, but it's a muslim country so alcohol isn't cheap and it's not as free and easy with it's values as Thailand for nightlife.

Wow! that is great recap on just what I want to enjoy with my friends.

I will be religious about the water as I get sick very quick. (Currently fighting off another cold/flu/cough which Ive had for about month).Did you buy bottled water or did you boil the water first before drinking?

Didn't boil anything. The decent hotels provide water in bottles ( make sure it is sealed). They sell it everywhere, pretty cheap.

I like Vietnam, especially Hue which feels far enough off the beaten track to be "real Vietnam". Hoi An nearby is very pretty but totally touristed. Saigon and Hanoi are both great too. We found the Mekong Delta disappinting as we got shoved onto a whistlestop tour visiting "craft" projects that were conveniently 50 yards apart from one another on the riverbank. This despite paying top dollar for something that was supposed to be personally tailored.

Buy water in large bottles - better value than small bottles, but as noted above, make sure it is correctly sealed and not tampered with. The security ring should break off neatly - if it is missing or doesn't break off neatly (possibly guled on) then throw the bottle away. Beware of stuff at markets that may have been washed or kept in tapwater. Rinse off with bottled water.

Travel within Vietnam is cheap but distances are long. Flying may be the best way to do it - and you may be surprised to find business class fares are cheaper than you'd expect.