MBTTUK? Why I’m happy to be here....

tea4too

This is really for people thinking of returning and is just my take on things, but I thought it might help to know that there are still some people happy to live in the UK - despite the politics, the economy, the media, the weather, and all the other reasons people may have for leaving.

The big things for me are work life balance, our home and family life. But there’s other less obvious stuff that I don’t really think about on a day to day basis that makes living here what it is really.

Like the weather. Tbh I’m happy to keep a brolly handy just in case, and to assume that the weather will probably be rubbish or pleasantly surprised when it turns out nice. I like the fact that an hours drive can take me to the coast, the mountains, or into a city centre for shopping or a nice lunch depending on the direction I travel in. I like the windy narrow streets and roads, the history of the towns and cities, with buildings that escaped the bombs of World War II. I even appreciate some of the 1960’s and 70’s architecture despite the fact that I’m not a great fan of most of it.

I appreciate the NHS, the existence of a welfare system (for now anyway), the EPL, the BBC, Radio 4 and 5Live. I like the fact that Women’s Institutes still exist, that cricket is still played in whites on village greens during the summer, and that villages compete for the title ‘best kept village’. I like the wide variety of regional accents, local traditions like bog snorkeling, cheese rolling, summer fetes and Well dressing.

There’s loads of little things, most of which are no big deal on their own but together add up to a lifestyle that is unique to living here. MBTTUK?.....welcome home Tx

ps Peeps desperate to leave or happy elsewhere, please don’t rain on my parade :hug:

T4T you've hit the nail on the head there I think - though I must admit that I haven't ventured into bog snorkelling yet!!!

I just love the weather - it hasn't stopped me doing anything I have wanted to do since I came back and I am outside doing stuff all the time now. I love the countryside - long walks most days and its always changing. I love the cities, seeing history in your face, meaningful and accessible. I love the people, the banter, the sense of community. I haven't felt this happy in years! Long may your enjoyment continue too!

T4T you've hit the nail on the head there I think - though I must admit that I haven't ventured into bog snorkelling yet!!!

I just love the weather - it hasn't stopped me doing anything I have wanted to do since I came back and I am outside doing stuff all the time now. I love the countryside - long walks most days and its always changing. I love the cities, seeing history in your face, meaningful and accessible. I love the people, the banter, the sense of community. I haven't felt this happy in years! Long may your enjoyment continue too!

Thanks for the good wishes Quoll. Your happiness shines though your posts and is lovely to read. I don’t plan to take up bog snorkeling either lol, or cheese rolling if it comes to that! :twitcy: But I’m glad there are still enough eccentrics living in the UK to make it newsworthy Tx

I havent left so not sure if im allowed to post... I love that we have amazing scenery, we dont really have any dangerous wildlife as such so you dont have to worry if your going camping etc. I love scotland and the fact that im inbetween glasgow and edinburgh for city life but im also near the north of england plus the south is only a short flight away. we're near to europe for short trips and once i have more money i'll be making the most of that! We have good shopping and i the tv isnt bad lol i love our british comedy programs like only fools and horses. I moan about the weather but i actually do love the seasons, im not coping too great with this heat and its made me question wether i could cope with it for weeks or months on end!

Thats my list for starters, hope you dont mind me joining in

I havent left so not sure if im allowed to post... I love that we have amazing scenery, we dont really have any dangerous wildlife as such so you dont have to worry if your going camping etc. I love scotland and the fact that im inbetween glasgow and edinburgh for city life but im also near the north of england plus the south is only a short flight away. we're near to europe for short trips and once i have more money i'll be making the most of that! We have good shopping and i the tv isnt bad lol i love our british comedy programs like only fools and horses. I moan about the weather but i actually do love the seasons, im not coping too great with this heat and its made me question wether i could cope with it for weeks or months on end!

Thats my list for starters, hope you dont mind me joining in

You don’t have to have moved away Stacey, and Edinburgh is one of my favourite cities. I also have great memories of a wedding I attended in Glasgow many years ago! I know what you mean about the seasons and spring is probably my favourite time of year - the garden full of daffodils, the cherry tree in full bloom and the promise of longer days to come. Then again, I quite like autumn too lol Tx

Hit a nail on the head by mentioning work-life balance. Life seems to be so much about work here, but I shan't moan about it as is this work that will enable us to move back to the UK at some point. Australia has given us a lot and for that I am grateful, but it will never be the place I want to spend the rest of my life. Can't wait to get back and appreciate all the things you've mentioned.

Love your attitude! Its the tradition and history that UK has that Aus will never be able to compete with, the one big difference. I'm sure some will argue now that Aus has traditions too..sorry I dont agree but thats just my opinion.

When you live in other places I think it gives you a better appreciation for the important things in life.

Edited by jen85

You don’t have to have moved away Stacey, and Edinburgh is one of my favourite cities. I also have great memories of a wedding I attended in Glasgow many years ago! I know what you mean about the seasons and spring is probably my favourite time of year - the garden full of daffodils, the cherry tree in full bloom and the promise of longer days to come. Then again, I quite like autumn too lol Tx

Glad you liked edinburgh and glasgow, i love going to edinburgh, i dont go often so i feel like a tourist lol. I was born in glasgow and thats where all my family are from but I dont think its quite as nice as Edinburgh.

My favourite seasons are spring and autumn, i sometimes even like winter lol, this winter wasnt bad at all (for my part of scotland) but sometimes it can be really depressing. Winter 2010 was terrible, felt like it was never ending!

This is really for people thinking of returning and is just my take on things, but I thought it might help to know that there are still some people happy to live in the UK - despite the politics, the economy, the media, the weather, and all the other reasons people may have for leaving.

The big things for me are work life balance, our home and family life. But there’s other less obvious stuff that I don’t really think about on a day to day basis that makes living here what it is really.

Like the weather. Tbh I’m happy to keep a brolly handy just in case, and to assume that the weather will probably be rubbish or pleasantly surprised when it turns out nice. I like the fact that an hours drive can take me to the coast, the mountains, or into a city centre for shopping or a nice lunch depending on the direction I travel in. I like the windy narrow streets and roads, the history of the towns and cities, with buildings that escaped the bombs of World War II. I even appreciate some of the 1960’s and 70’s architecture despite the fact that I’m not a great fan of most of it.

I appreciate the NHS, the existence of a welfare system (for now anyway), the EPL, the BBC, Radio 4 and 5Live. I like the fact that Women’s Institutes still exist, that cricket is still played in whites on village greens during the summer, and that villages compete for the title ‘best kept village’. I like the wide variety of regional accents, local traditions like bog snorkeling, cheese rolling, summer fetes and Well dressing.

There’s loads of little things, most of which are no big deal on their own but together add up to a lifestyle that is unique to living here. MBTTUK?.....welcome home Tx

ps Peeps desperate to leave or happy elsewhere, please don’t rain on my parade :hug:

We moved from Sydney to London 3+ years ago and loving every minute of it.

- Love London, UK and the beautiful, varied countryside.

- Europe is just a short hop away.

- Most british cities are accessible by car and train and its cheap to travel by train (I went from Euston to Edinburgh on a comfy train for just 34 quid return. Booked 1 month in advance)

- HISTORY, CULTURE is massive.. ranging from wars, conquests, royalty, architecture, literature, children's literature, music, drama, science.. you name it and this country has it in buckets.

- Work-Life balance. I used to work from home on the North shore in Sydney. Now I work from home from a lovely leafy part of North West London.

Weather is perfect for me. not too hot not too cold (compare London with its peer cities on similar latitudes)...rains just about enough to keep everything fresh and green.

Winter is in December so Christmas can be spent cosying up with a single malt and heating on!

Edited by PeepingTom

We moved from Sydney to London 3+ years ago and loving every minute of it.

- Love London, UK and the beautiful, varied countryside.

- Europe is just a short hop away.

- Most british cities are accessible by car and train and its cheap to travel by train (I went from Euston to Edinburgh on a comfy train for just 34 quid return. Booked 1 month in advance)

- HISTORY, CULTURE is massive.. ranging from wars, conquests, royalty, architecture, literature, children's literature, music, drama, science.. you name it and this country has it in buckets.

- Work-Life balance. I used to work from home on the North shore in Sydney. Now I work from home from a lovely leafy part of North West London.

Weather is perfect for me. not too hot not too cold (compare London with its peer cities on similar latitudes)...rains just about enough to keep everything fresh and green.

Winter is in December so Christmas can be spent cosying up with a single malt and heating on!

Glad you are enjoying life in the UK Tom, and I agree there is a lot to appreciate. The only point we disagree on is Christmas – I prefer a nice glass of red when it’s blowing a hoolie outside :wubclub: Tx