fifo who else does it and what do you do?

bwatt99

Been in perth just over 5 weeks now only just started maybe applying looking for work,an agency tried to set me up with work that i do in part of my multi skills etc.

It was fifo but lets just say i did not like what wasvon offer it was like 4 weeks away and 6 days,have just arrived from uk and having a wife and 11 month old i did not feel it was the job for me.

I am used to 2 and 2 back in uk ok i knowvim not in uk anymore but i really did not come over otherside of world to not enjoy what perth has to offer,and see my girl grow up.

Part of me wanted to take the job as its work and gets my feet in the door,but i feel thats more a single mans game,yes be ok maybe when i been here longer etc but 6 days home come on surely there not much family guys out there that does this.

I even have applied for fifo with another company and thats 21 days and 9 home ok not ideal but better.

Do much of you do fifo if so whats your time off like,what do you do.as much as i want a job etc i might just pass as its just not enough family time.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I FIFO and have for a long time. At the moment i am on an international fifo working in Tanzania, i do a stint of 38 days followed by 24 off, then 32 days followed by 18 off.

Most of the jobs in Oz i did were 8 on 6 off. But it depends a lot what your role is - what will you be doing? Is it mining or oil and gas?

It can be hard, particularly for the wives and more so that you are in a new country without the support network.

I think it was wise not to go down the 4 week one as this is a well known marriage killer. Though all FIFO can be. I know a lot more people in my game that have gone through at least one divorce than i do people who havent.

When i am home, i normally have a rest day where i do nothing other than chill on the sofa. Then its pretty much life as normal. Though we do make a point of doing some special things every break. Go to a show and a meal.

It isnt a lifestyle for everyone - it is amazing the amount of people who dont last more than a couple of swings. Particularly new immigrants as it can just be too hard for the family.

Guest Guest26012

We have friends that do fifo. Not ideal but its a job at the end of the day. Our friends are into the routine of it now and their lives run accordingly. As VS says, it's not for everyone. Why not try it and if its not suitable then you have some experience on your cv.

My Son's gf works on fifo.For them it works,although the gf is only doing it on a temp basis (If you call 3 yrs temp????lol)but they have managed to buy their own house,and are doing well so it depends what your goals are!Ok let me ask you this.........Would you find it more stressful working fifo,or if you decided not to do it,would it be more stressful if say you couldn't find any job for weeks/possibly more?If it were me,I would do it.I know it might be hard on you,your,partner and daughter,but putting food on the table,and being able to pay bills to me would be more important.You don't have to do it forever right?I'd do it and see how it pans out.It'll either work,and yep fine if it does,or it doesn't and you can keep working until something more suitable for you comes up.I'm a female and if I were working fifo I would find it easy to go without seeing my OH for weeks!And I don't mean that in an icky way either.I'm just independent and wouldn't find it a problem!:cute:

Guest Guest16631

........just a positive note.........my father and OH have both worked FIFO....

........OH for the last 20 plus years.......

.........on the positive side when he is off for his weeks/month........

..........he has 24 hours a day to spend with his family........

...........we often celebrate special days........when he is home......not by the date ....

...........the at home partner has to be quite self sufficient.......

............and sometimes it's hard being the only parent........

.............unless your with other FIFO at homes........

.............it can sometimes be lonely......

..............but having that concentrated time off.......

...............has meant we have done lots as a family.........

................and I don't think myself or my children have suffered for it.....

.................but everyone is different...........good luck in whatever you decide........tink x

It is a shockingly bad roster, its OK for people to say "it's a foot in the door" but your missus probably isn't going to like being stuck with a child and no family support for a month at a time.

There are much better ones around than that, even time is common so don't be fobbed off by an agent.

It is a shockingly bad roster, its OK for people to say "it's a foot in the door" but your missus probably isn't going to like being stuck with a child and no family support for a month at a time.

There are much better ones around than that, even time is common so don't be fobbed off by an agent.

We do 4 and 1. Not the best but we are doing fine. Its not that much of a hardship.

I work FIFO but as I am currently flying to various sites I have no set roster so might be on a job for 1 week then on another for 2 weeks but I'd never want to work more than a 2:1 roster..That's enough for me. I will be starting a 10 days on 4 days off roster next week which isn't bad as I will be home every second weekend for a long weekend and I will also be in Kalgoorlie which is slightly better than being stuck in a camp in the middle of nowhere.

I could not imagine working FIFO with a family though. I would really struggle with that. 4:1 would be a tough roster.. Much tougher in reality than the thought of it I'd imagine.

Edited by WeegieDave
spelling

How do these FIFO jobs work? Are you working 8 hours days while you are away and just being put up in a hotel the rest of the time? or are you working 8am till 8pm or something

The hours tend to be 6am - 6pm and as most mines are remote you will stay in camp accomodation which tends to be a small donga with a bed a fridge and an ensuite bathroom. Some are better than others but all in all it's not too bad.

I don't do this but I know loads of blokes who do. It's a young man's game for sure, my Bro-In-Law (40s) tried it last year and only lasted 2 shifts. He started a 4&1, all he was offered to get a foot in the door. 12-14 hr shifts 7 days a week, in 45 degree heat. Bored $hitless when you're not working. No thanks. He's back on the bricks now. Majority of his mates who do it are divorced.

Our next door neighbour does it, he's 26, single, owns the house outright now. Has worked for him but other than that scenario I wouldn't bother.

What most - and i am always amazed by this - dont realise is that pay is actually not that great. The normal working week in mining in 96 hours per week. So the equivalant of doing two full time jobs. Now, the average yearly income for most miners is about $100k. So, the hourly rate is actually pretty poor and most would be better off either doing a bag load of overtime in a normal job or even doing two jobs - would probably work less hours, be home every night and not subject to the dangers that mines pose

What most - and i am always amazed by this - dont realise is that pay is actually not that great. The normal working week in mining in 96 hours per week. So the equivalant of doing two full time jobs. Now, the average yearly income for most miners is about $100k. So, the hourly rate is actually pretty poor and most would be better off either doing a bag load of overtime in a normal job or even doing two jobs - would probably work less hours, be home every night and not subject to the dangers that mines pose

Now thats very true. When you actually work out the hourly rate............it's not that great

Been in perth just over 5 weeks now only just started maybe applying looking for work,an agency tried to set me up with work that i do in part of my multi skills etc.

It was fifo but lets just say i did not like what wasvon offer it was like 4 weeks away and 6 days,have just arrived from uk and having a wife and 11 month old i did not feel it was the job for me.

I am used to 2 and 2 back in uk ok i knowvim not in uk anymore but i really did not come over otherside of world to not enjoy what perth has to offer,and see my girl grow up.

Part of me wanted to take the job as its work and gets my feet in the door,but i feel thats more a single mans game,yes be ok maybe when i been here longer etc but 6 days home come on surely there not much family guys out there that does this.

I even have applied for fifo with another company and thats 21 days and 9 home ok not ideal but better.

Do much of you do fifo if so whats your time off like,what do you do.as much as i want a job etc i might just pass as its just not enough family time.

My son is a sparkie and works FIFO. He was working in Perth for a couple of years after finishing his apprenticeship, earning decent money, but obviously new there was better money on FIFO as a few of his friends were doing it. He likes his lifestyle and time off though so was determined he wasn't going to jump at the first offer, which was 4 on one off. He went to a couple of agencies and they suggested doing a couple of extra courses if he wanted more options.

He took their advice and paid to do instrumentation and OHS courses. He landed a job 8 days on 6 off shortly after, it's really 7 on 7 off as Monday is always travelling day. He really likes it, money isn't as good as if he had taken a longer swing but it's decent, better than what I'm on in IT with a degree and 25 years experience.

There are better swings out there mate, hang in, get something local if poss and keep your ear to the ground for something that suits. The extra courses certainly helped.

That was the first thing the brother-in-law said. Looks nice when you get the payslip but when you look at what you've done (and give up) to earn it, is it worth it?

FIFO is fine but it all depends on the rotation and your personal situation.

If you have a Mrs with no kids who will be sat in Perth she would likely get quite lonely and as a result all kinds of things may happen as a result and you may find yourself single or going home.

usually takes a few months but inevitable will happen.

Contrary to the above posts most rotations are approx 26 days on and 9 days off give or take a few days which is not good.

If you work for an operator/owner then the rotation is better and an 8/6 may be on offer, this will tire you out but I would say very liveable. The money offered for FIFO work these days seems to be less than what you get in central Perth though so I cant really see much of a point to it.

If you thinking of FIFO why not do it from the UK? much easier on those left behind.

One more point is that if your partner works when you are home she is likely to be at work and over here where you wont know anyone, it will be equally as rubbish as your time away (almost).

So I would think carefully what your coming out here for and if its for the work I wouldn't bother as that is heading southwards and Europe and the rest of the world is on the rise.

Are you talking labourers or tradies there VS. I think $100k a year is way on the low side. I know there are some stories about cleaners and the like earning $100k plus, which I know is not the case. I know a couple of girls doing FIFO that started in cleaning and they were only getting about 65K for 2 on 1 off. They have both moved on to better jobs in FIFO now and better money. The cleaning was just a foot in the door.

I guess FIFO is good in that respect that if you show a bit of initiative and want to progress you can. There are also a few that use it as a way to get money together for their next travelling experience too.

My son thought about changing jobs after a couple of weeks in his. He found out the sparkies in another company where he works are on 160K for a 3 on 1 off. He thought about it for a while and decided he enjoys his time off and work life balance more than extra dollars. That was about a year ago too, so they might be on even more now.

So I would think carefully what your coming out here for and if its for the work I wouldn't bother as that is heading southwards and Europe and the rest of the world is on the rise.

That's debatable.

Plus, it makes you sound like Dr Evil or something.

MWWAAHHAHAHAHAHH.

On the other hand who would want to do a bag load of overtime or work 2 jobs and be too knackered to see and enjoy what Perth and other places in Aus has to offer? If you work FIFO it's not like there's much else to do when your away, so the 12 hrs shift is not so much of a hassle. Added to that you don't have much else to worry about apart from yourself. Food and digs provided, usually a gym, pool, bar. You just get into the swing.

You don't have to get in from work and have the missus and kids wanting your attention when all you want to do is relax, the missus complaining that you've not washed the pots or taken the kids to bed and read them a story, only to have the same again the next day. No break much at all, specially if you end up working weekends to make ends meet. Given the choice I think I would go for the FIFO and have some decent time off when at home.

That's debatable.

Plus, it makes you sound like Dr Evil or something.

MWWAAHHAHAHAHAHH.

That's debatable all right. Heard what Ben Benanke was saying and the Americans are still buying $8.5billion dollars worth of bonds a month to keep the economy going. There's no sign of that stopping and he said the economy isn't picking up the way they thought it would. I don't see Europe getting better any time soon either.