Changing the dates on a return flight from UK - Oz on a year working visa?

BexWalls

I am coming to Australia in September from the UK on a Working Holiday Visa. The latest I can book my return flight is 10 months after the outbound flight (so July 2014) but need it for September 2014. I understand you can change the date but will i be able to change it to 2 months later? How much do the companies usually charge? Which companies charge the least? All advice welcome, Thanks!:biggrin:

Charges will depend on your ticket - the cheapest tickets charge the most (if they allow changes at all). The fare rules will detail the charges for the ticket you choose.

Are you unable to book the return for September because the airline doesn't allow bookings that far in advance? (For example BA only allows flights to be booked 355 days ahead.) The fare rules will tell you how long the maximum trip is - you should find that some tickets allow a return up to a year after the outbound flight, but some have tighter rules.

You can read the fare rules as part of the online booking process, or an agent like STA or Trailfinders will help you sort it out for a small fee.

Edited by Notts

Singapore airlines allow one change for free iirc, depending on the ticket type. Check their ticket conditions, same with all the airlines, a case of reading the small print.

I know our one would have done had we booked returns. We'd have booked a date to return then amended it later on.

The problem is they do not say whether you can change it or not until you have booked the ticket. Yep, the problem is they only allow me to choose up to 10 months later (this is when i have used flights searching sites such as skyscanner). ill try and locate the fare rules but i dont want to book anything if i cant change the flight - catch 22!! Thank you for the advice!

Booking via your travel agent will sort that out. They can tell you what is what before booking.

I absolutely second that. Even more, print out the best option you found on Skyscanner,etc , most travel agents will actually match those quotes (at least Flight Centre does). Additionally if you are a student at the moment (or still have a valid student type ID, for example an ISIC) try a place like STA, they often have access to discount 'student' tickets, which usually also have low rebooking fees (maybe only for one change, but that's better than a lot of regular tickets)