Carpenter- do you need skills assessmennt

Hi

we are coming out next year under my quals. My husband is a carpenter with 20+ yrs experience. Does he need to have the skills assessment done in the UK before we leave or is his CV enough? I've had mixed reviews on this but don't want to waste money on getting his skills equalised to an Aussie qualification if I don't have to.

Thanks

sal

You don't have to in Victoria, not sure about the other states but you should ba able to find out on the respective government websites. Be aware that there are a lot of unemployed trades out here at the moment, in Melbourne anyway, I've been looking for six weeks and not had a sniff of work yet.

so why is there all this stuff that Aus is short of construction workers. When in reality theres zilch?? im a carpenter just starting my 189 visa application. I have lots of work here in uk and was told by most agents that carpentry work in Aus is very sought after. im getting a bit worryed now. Im heading around the east coast looking at sunshine coast.

Thanks Sal :)

Surf, agents would tell you that, its how they make money at the end of the day. I'm a chippy, 20+ years experience including loads of high end work and running the carpentry side of jobs in the UK. I've applied in regional Australia not just Melbourne which is supposed to be crying out for chippies, nothing, not one phonecall in six weeks. Just to clarify, I hold Australian citizenship, my parents were ten pound Poms in the seventies but I haven't been here for 24 years. My wife is a UK lawyer and can't find anything either, lacks 'local experience' apparently, which I think is my problem. Carpenter is still on the skill shortage list, but that list is no reflection of the jobs available over here in our experience. I'm not saying don't come, but be aware that its tough over here ATM. Not sure where you're from, I've been in London the last 24 years and I'd have work tomorrow if I was back there, would be earning more than what's advertised here too. Just so you know :)

Hi

we are coming out next year under my quals. My husband is a carpenter with 20+ yrs experience. Does he need to have the skills assessment done in the UK before we leave or is his CV enough? I've had mixed reviews on this but don't want to waste money on getting his skills equalised to an Aussie qualification if I don't have to.

Thanks

sal

hi

not sure if you need it everywhere, my husband has it as we came in his skills on a pr visa, we've been here 6 ish weeks, in queensland, he got a job straight away, no one asjed for his qualification, he just had a phone interview and was offered a job, took a day of trying which was infact probably 2 hours, as he kept having breaks! He took the second job he was offered as the money was much more than the first, he's been in work 2 weeks and loves it, he was offered another job today but turned it down as he's happy where he is. He gets his ute on Monday, we decided to get it on finance as we didn't want to keep bringing over money from our uk savings for large amounts because of the exchange rate, we have one car that we bought outright, but Utes start at around $20,000 for anything decent, he had no trouble with getting finance, he just needed to show one weeks wage slip. Not sure where your headed but a friend working on sites dad has moved to perth recently and is snowed under 6 days a week also, if you want me to find out the company name I will ask my husband to ask the mans son when he's back at work on Monday. My husband has been really positive, abit cheeky and not scared to ask for things, this seems to have helped, good look to your husband on his job search

so why is there all this stuff that Aus is short of construction workers. When in reality theres zilch?? im a carpenter just starting my 189 visa application. I have lots of work here in uk and was told by most agents that carpentry work in Aus is very sought after. im getting a bit worryed now. Im heading around the east coast looking at sunshine coast.

Sunny coast is likely to be really hard... I live in Brisbane and often hear about people seriously struggling for work in trades up there. The thing is that the main work up that way is tourism based.

Thanks Sal :)

Surf, agents would tell you that, its how they make money at the end of the day. I'm a chippy, 20+ years experience including loads of high end work and running the carpentry side of jobs in the UK. I've applied in regional Australia not just Melbourne which is supposed to be crying out for chippies, nothing, not one phonecall in six weeks. Just to clarify, I hold Australian citizenship, my parents were ten pound Poms in the seventies but I haven't been here for 24 years. My wife is a UK lawyer and can't find anything either, lacks 'local experience' apparently, which I think is my problem. Carpenter is still on the skill shortage list, but that list is no reflection of the jobs available over here in our experience. I'm not saying don't come, but be aware that its tough over here ATM. Not sure where you're from, I've been in London the last 24 years and I'd have work tomorrow if I was back there, would be earning more than what's advertised here too. Just so you know :)

My wife is a UK lawyer and can't find anything either, lacks 'local experience' apparently, which I think is my problem.

Isn't qualified to practice here, is the bigger problem. UK lawyers need to go back to law school before they are allowed to work I believe.

Isn't qualified to practice here, is the bigger problem. UK lawyers need to go back to law school before they are allowed to work I believe.

Yep, true, but she's applying for legal secretary positions over here, not bothered about practicing. She's scoring 'excellent' on the secretarial skills tests but still struggling to find a job, even temping. Nohea, where in Queensland are you and where did your other half find his job?????? Sorry about the double post, on me phone and not particularly internet savvy, me :)

Yep, true, but she's applying for legal secretary positions over here, not bothered about practicing. She's scoring 'excellent' on the secretarial skills tests but still struggling to find a job, even temping. Nohea, where in Queensland are you and where did your other half find his job?????? Sorry about the double post, on me phone and not particularly internet savvy, me :)

were in North Queensland at the moment, and he said he wanted to work at the uni so rang the number off the crane at the uni and got to speak to the person running the job and started a few days later, he was also offered a job fitting kitchens with another company, and not sure what the job offer was today, but that was through someone from origin gas, he's done alot of networking in the last month, which had helped, he's working 6 days at the moment as they're so busy.