Life with two dogs and kids in perth

rattykatty

Hello everyone,

we will be moving to PErth beginning of next year, we have two young boys, one will be 3 and a bit and the other 1. What's it like with dogs in perth and surrounding suburbs, is it dog friendly?

We are currently living in a place where it's hard to find good places to walk and tire out the dogs but also somewhere where the kids can either come along and also runaround.

its actually driving me a bit nuts at the moment because it feels like neither the dogs or the kids are having fun. I'm definitely not.

we have a lot of people offering the dogs homes where we are so would it just be selfish to bring them?

We love the dogs and we would be buying a house with a yard but is it always going to be a struggle with trying to walk dogs 3-4 times a day with two kids in a pram or should we just save everybody the hassle?

thanks,

I think if you have dogs before you have kids you have a responsibility towards them. They are not hassle, they are your family, at least thats the way i see pets. I had two dogs which we sadly lost last year before we came out to perth. Never would i consider getting rid of them due to having kids.

That said, what kind of dogs do you have and how old are they? If they are elderly or have medical conditions that would make the flight and quarantine stressful for them, then you need to consider that under vet advice. I am guessing they are pretty big and energetic if they need three or four walks a day!

Hi

We moved here with two black labs, two teenagers aswell, but that's a bit different to you having v young ones.

you haven't said what kind of dogs they are, but I'm assuming they must be pretty big ones, cos they need walks 3/4 times a day.

as for where we are there is three dog exercise parks I can walk them to, they aren't big enough though so I tend to use them for the lunchtime walk.

the main walk at the moment in winter is in the morning, but it means putting them in the car and driving them either 5mins to the river to an excellent dog exercise area with a little dog beach to finish off, or a 10/15mim drive to the one of the nearest dog beaches.

the evening walk at the moment is the hardest because it gets dark so early.

Come summer the morning walk will have to be done v early to avoid the heat, lunchtime is a bit of a no no because the pavements are too hot for there paws, but the evening one is a nice time to head out with them and watch a sunset somewhere.

Its been a bit hit and miss come weekends finding somewhere where we can all go and BBQ and have fun with friends while taking the dogs but we have managed to find some great spots which your kids would love too.

I've posted about these places on the sister site Perth Poms, if you want to have a look.

So basically yes it is dog friendly on the whole, it just might take you sometime to suss out the area you end up in, and you may need to juggle your walking times in different seasons.

as to wether to bring them or not, only you can decide that. Personally once mine eventually got here it made the family complete and is the icing on the cake to living here.

Good luck on your decision, its not an easy one

Sorry, I should have included all the information. Both the dogs are rescue dogs and we have put heaps of time into rehabilitating them and they are definitely a life long commitment and we've planned on taking them with us, but now that its all becoming real I wonder if its best for them really.

One the border collie mix, is still afraid of strangers and HATES the car so I can only imagine what a 24 hr flight in a box would do to her, the other a pug mix,is a bit nervous around other dogs and some people and can bite in fear.

I was always a "dog is for life person" but considering we will need to rent somewhere first, then spend a lot of time trying to find somewhere to buy we can't be gone all day and leave the dogs( they would bark ) and the suggestion about the beach is good but the problem is the kids. If I'm walking the dogs and kids on my own its hard to keep an eye on the dogs and making sure no kid is drowning or falling off a rock somewhere.

if I had two perfectly trained and well balanced dogs it wouldn't be a problem but I always have to be keeping an eye out for something..

I just sort of feel like there's lots of people here offering them both homes so is it really selfish of us to make them endure a three long plane rides,quarantine and perhaps long days alone at home until we have sorted somewhere out to live permanently.??

Edited by rattykatty

Have to say that I think it would be better to rehome them, providing that the new owners are experienced with the foibles that rescue dogs can have and don't pass them on again. Having owned a rescue border collie mix for 15 years who had MAJOR behavioural issues, I would say that leaving them would be best all round; you will have enough on your plate with everything else. Unless you have owned a dog with problems, it's not possible to imagine just how draining it can be. We loved our pooch so much but to be honest, there were times when I wish we'd never taken her on! Do what's right for you, your family and the dogs without feeling emotional (if poss).

Oh love, I so feel for you.

its a horrible decision to make. Your lucky that you have people who will take the dogs if need be.

Im like Lozzachino, pets are my family wouldn't leave them for the world. Tbh we've had dogs thought out our daughters growing up and you find a way.

Your kids are young, if your going out to work, you need to find someone to look after them so why not look for dog care, plenty about

Have to say that I think it would be better to rehome them, providing that the new owners are experienced with the foibles that rescue dogs can have and don't pass them on again. Having owned a rescue border collie mix for 15 years who had MAJOR behavioural issues, I would say that leaving them would be best all round; you will have enough on your plate with everything else. Unless you have owned a dog with problems, it's not possible to imagine just how draining it can be. We loved our pooch so much but to be honest, there were times when I wish we'd never taken her on! Do what's right for you, your family and the dogs without feeling emotional (if poss).

We moved twice with a x collie dog, who was the worlds worst. The stories I could tell you about that dog...ie british transports police having to get him off a train line, him popping up at my daughters school, him taking a tramp home...eh. Bless him, if he was still alive I would bring him

Thanks for all the input guys! I totally understand where you all are coming from as I would have said the same thing two years ago( before kids) The thing was that before kids it was possible to deal with two high need dogs who require constant care and training but now it feels like I'm being pulled in 4 directions and nothing is good enough in any of them.

Like I said before, they are all ready to come with us and part of the Australian dream is that they too would get to experience a lovely big backyard with a pool, doggy beaches and of the lead dog parks( currently live in apartment,in the mountains,so not too bad) .

it was just today that I had an epiphany while really struggling to get through the day:

ie" I walked the dogs and kids in their double stroller, finally came to a good forest clearing, looked around ,no other dogs, let them off the leads,what happens? The kids start fighting in the pram,as I'm pulling the older one of the baby, a really angry dog has come up a path, I have to madly scramble to catch the dogs,leave the crying kids behind in the pram,get the dogs, pull two snarling dogs away from the other crazy dog while trying to push the pram.

then we take the cable car up the mountain to a outdoor restaurant so the kids can play with their friends outside, can't let the dogs off because there are other dogs there so the pug spends the next 3 hours growling( constantly) at the other dogs(who were well behaved) and the border collie is trying to hide behind and around my chair to get away from the kids which were playing close by.

take cable car,dogs, kids, pram down into town, try to control dogs again as they try to attack three different dogs on the way back to the car.

get to car try to wrestle in kids in car seats, fold pram and try to stop pug growling/ attacking random people in a car opposite.

get home and get kids,dogs up the stairs and in, pug is looking so sad by this stage,they haven't had a proper walk run around since they've been on their leads the whole morning.

kids and dogs nap.

Then we need something from a friends house,can't bring dogs due to a lot of kids running around their place, to stressy for nervous border collie.

an hour later drive home to pick up dogs, then go get my partner, we all go the river for 15 min to let dogs run around loose. Must pay constant attention that nothing /nobody comes up which could trigger attack,I'm also holding the baby and constantly watching that 2.5 year old doesn't run into river.

Get home,feed kids ,dogs try to get everybody to sleep, take dogs out again round the block for a last pee then bed.

do the same next day!!

Like the previous poster said you love these dogs with all your heart,but I want something better for them, they had a much more fulfilling life before the kids:)

Now I just don't have the same opportunity to constantly work with them and if its going to be the same in Perth, ie not many good off leash places or places to walk dogs and kids together(pram friendly).

No decisions been made obviously its just good to hear what others would do.

i rehomed my rescue dog before i came over as the flight would have been to much for him and he had similar issues. Hes now having the time of his life with them 2 years down the line and i dont regret it one bit. I can see him on FB whenever i like and im glad i put his welfare before my feelings, every dog is different so you have to decide whats best all round for you and them.

The dog parks are good here but they are mainly on lead and can be busy, the one i go to most weekends with my 2 pug x dogs is fab, i recon i see a min of 10 dogs there and a max of 30 on busy times, to find a place dog free to walk might be hard work for you but not impossible, but i have to drive to take mine for a proper run on the beach or at a park.

Plus you may struggle to fly a pug x as alot of airlines wont touch snub nosed dogs so might be worth taking a look into also.

Good luck, im sure whatever you decide you will make it work :)

You mention a big backyard, depending on where you go that isn't always possible anymore. The ol' 1/4 acre blocks are long gone unless you move to an older area in Perth. If you want a new house you will struggle to get a decent size block of land unless you have lots of money and can buy a semi rural property.

There are dog walkers you can pay to help you with the dogs so your not having to walk them and the kids at the same time too.

Good luck with you decision, but me I couldn't leave my pets behind anywhere!

You may find the number of rentals you have to choose from is reduced as some won't allow pets, you will also have a pet bond to pay and may need to pay for professional cleaning of carpets on leaving.

every rental we have seen even without dogs state you have to have carpets professionally cleaned anyway! They are suck sticklers here!!

every rental we have seen even without dogs state you have to have carpets professionally cleaned anyway! They are suck sticklers here!!

Ours didn't, although it was some time ago and a private rental - don't think my friends does either but I guess it makes sense.

Guest Guest26012

We brought our border collie with us a few years ago! He was fine when he got here, loved the beach, the parks and the climate. Loads of places for dogs here. Never had a prob finding a rental, and we had three before we built a house. Wouldn't have left him in the uk for the world. He's passed now but we would do it all again.

Guest JK2510

Carpets need to be cleaned every 6 months....and insist on a professional cleaning receipt on departure from rental. We have dogs and didn't have an issue but I suppose it all depends on the landlord and whether your agent is pet friendly...as a pet friendly agent can work wonders as we have experienced.

you are in a tough situation and I really feel for you....I have glanced through your posts and really feel for you...if the dogs are quite nervous in general and nervous with other dogs....there are plenty of parks here where you can exercise the dogs leash free but are often frequented by other dog users so that could be an issue. Are they a bite risk to others and humans?

Sorry, didn't mean to post and run..Its been hectic over here in the mountains.

Great replies everybody,thanks.

Currently in the process of deciding what to do, we have a few trips to make and we are going to put the dogs in a kennel for a week to see how they do there, might give us a clear indication of how the quarantine will go!!

Re their bite risk, it depends on the other dog they are meeting, if it comes up calmly it's ok but if it comes up with attitude they start right up too :( work in progress...

Can anybody recommend a suburb with bigger blocks? Maybe not acreage but still room for a pool, outdoor eating area and a large yard for the kids to play in.

Sorry, didn't mean to post and run..Its been hectic over here in the mountains.

Great replies everybody,thanks.

Currently in the process of deciding what to do, we have a few trips to make and we are going to put the dogs in a kennel for a week to see how they do there, might give us a clear indication of how the quarantine will go!!

Re their bite risk, it depends on the other dog they are meeting, if it comes up calmly it's ok but if it comes up with attitude they start right up too :( work in progress...

Can anybody recommend a suburb with bigger blocks? Maybe not acreage but still room for a pool, outdoor eating area and a large yard for the kids to play in.

Again it depends on where your working etc as south and north have suburbs which may suit and also depends on how much you are willing to spend. If you go for an older suburb then you are more likely to get a slighter bigger block.

Hello everyone,

we will be moving to PErth beginning of next year, we have two young boys, one will be 3 and a bit and the other 1. What's it like with dogs in perth and surrounding suburbs, is it dog friendly?

We are currently living in a place where it's hard to find good places to walk and tire out the dogs but also somewhere where the kids can either come along and also runaround.

its actually driving me a bit nuts at the moment because it feels like neither the dogs or the kids are having fun. I'm definitely not.

we have a lot of people offering the dogs homes where we are so would it just be selfish to bring them?

We love the dogs and we would be buying a house with a yard but is it always going to be a struggle with trying to walk dogs 3-4 times a day with two kids in a pram or should we just save everybody the hassle?

thanks,

There are beaches set aside for dog (and horse) exercising and walking. One is near Hillary's, with a massive park at the back of the dunes with play areas for kids, ideal.

Our local school park is massive with cricket nets, footy pitch, soccer pitch and a couple of play areas for kids. I take the youngster over there a lot for a kick about. There is a sign for no dogs but all the time I've lived there it seems to be the main dog walking park. At the weekends there are loads of people. At least most of them do the right thing, the council provides bags and bins, so you can clean up after your dog. There are always plenty left out at the park and nearly everyone cleans up.

I guess there will always be someone that doesn't bother but I see a lot of the same people walking their dogs and have seen people get told to clean up by other dog walkers.

I would still be inclined to give the dogs away and get ones whilst here, once you've checked out the lie of the land and where you would live. That's simply because of cost though.