Snake Eats Pet

Guest Gardiner Gang

Guest Gardiner Gang

OMG I have just seen on the news that a family pet in Kuranda, QLD, has been eaten by a python. Apparantly it had stalked the dog for about 4 days and then ate it in front of the familys 2 children. I will maybe think twice before bringing our lab now. I'm sure its not a regular occurance though(I hope). The poor kids they must be traumatised.

Pauline:wideeyed:

Guest scots-in-oz!

Hi Pauline!

How are you? Scarry story! I wonder how big the pet was? Poor kids! We've thought about what Jerry might get up to ones we get there too! He'd probabally try and attack it knowing him! We know there's a possibility that he might be lunch for something, or he might come a cropper with a redback, but we still want to take him! (Although Robert says if he (Jerry) pukes on the new bedroom carpet that got put down today that he was finding a new home!) He's mine though, so I get the final say, and he's coming! Would have to be a pretty big snake to eat your dog!

Mags:wubclub:

x

(ps - you going to the tate of Scotland thing tomorrow night? - we managed to get tickets today woohoo! lol!)

If you look on the Sky news website there is a photo of the snake..........it was huge and the dog was small..............

On another note..........

My aunt's dog was killed by a snake that it tried to play with. She lives in Yamba - 4 hours south of Brisbane. You have to watch your dog like a hawk and after dark put the light on before letting them out in the garden...........or take them for a walk up the street! Also, have to watch for them licking cane toads!

Guest Gardiner Gang

Hi we are all fine. the dog was a terrier chuaua cross. Yes it was a big snake.

I am going to the Taste of Scotland tomorrow night. Whos going to have to get a new home if cat pukes on new carpet Robert or Jerry? Is your house ready to go on the market yet?

Edinburgh was good will see you tomorrow and tell you all about it. Keep me a seat.

Pauline

i didnt think pythons were native to australia?? is it someones escaped pet? the thing is they will kill that snake now as they wont release it for fear of it doing it again, good flippin ridance i say!!!:yes:

The snake will be released according to the TV news for Qld (probably already has been). Pythons are native to aus. There are quite a few different species too.

What the snake did was upsetting for the owners maybe but natural for the snake. It goes with the territory.

Guest jonny.co@tiscali.co.uk

oh my god.

how terrible for the family of that little dog. we are going to be bringing our little cocker spaniel over.and i am really worried now.she is such a playful,friendly,loving little dog.it would break our hearts if anything happened to her.but the realistic side to it,is that we are coming to a foreign country.just have to be extra careful with her and even more so,the kids.

nic x:no:

oh my god.

how terrible for the family of that little dog. we are going to be bringing our little cocker spaniel over.and i am really worried now.she is such a playful,friendly,loving little dog.it would break our hearts if anything happened to her.but the realistic side to it,is that we are coming to a foreign country.just have to be extra careful with her and even more so,the kids.

Nic Bit scary aint it - try not to worry we havent seen any in our garden or the area we live in as yet (i hope i dont regret saying that !!!) & we have a very large garden in a very woody area :v_SPIN:

gizmo x

oh my god.

The great vast majority of pets die through old age. Some will die from snake bites or trying to eat Cane Toads but very few. Some will die of heart worm if you don't get them treated regularly.

If your dog does get eaten by a python then at least it will make national news... in other words its extremely rare.

I've just realised that I've never seen a dog killed by traffic? That would be because people don't let their dogs out I suppose?

Hi Guys

I would also like to add that Kuranda is a village in the rainforest in FNQ. Don't forget that Pythons are native there.

I don't think you'll get many 5m pythons slithering around in your average suburban garden.

Also the Bird Eating spider is native there as well, so not a place to live if you're an arachnophobic :)

Obviously if you choose to live in the rainforest, you are always at risk of these kind of things happening.

Don't forget also that Saltwater crocodiles are native to FNQ as well :)

Like Fatpom says, these things only make the news because they rarely happen.

These are just things you have to change to and adjust to. It's all just another part of life here in OZ.

I think if I lived in the rainforest and my cat and guineapigs had already gone missing, I might have already been a wee bit suspicious :)

Regards Debs x x

I can see the future advertising for tourist's to FNQ, save money on Vet bills by bringing your sick animals with you on holiday, :biglaugh: whatever happened to the saying, beautiful one day, perfect the next.:nah:

I've been here 38 years & never realised that there were snakes here that were capable of doing that, crocs yes ?

Give me NSW anyday, where we can swim all year round & the tide only goes out a few metres. :yes:

Give me NSW anyday, where we can swim all year round & the tide only goes out a few metres. :yes:

As for NSW? You haven't mentioned those belligerant Tiger snakes, the Jimble and Blue Bottle jellyfish, Stone fish and... Stingrays?:smile:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

Foxes are not native to Australia. I don't know whether there are any in QLD but there are plenty in WA. Over the years they have carried off chickens, ducks, rabbits, guinea-pigs - all family pets - on my sister's land near Perth.

Foxes probably pose a bigger threat to domestic pets than snakes do, I would guess. I would think it is probably the same in the UK.

Best wishes

Gill

you know your stuff fatpom!!!! fill me in on the nasties of brisbane if you would?????:notworthy::wideeyed:

Don't worry about it. Most snakes will see you first and will be long gone before you see them and get near. People who get bitten usually do so because they're messing with them. Spiders won't bother you either... just wear gloves whilst weeding the garden.

The diverse and interesting wildlife is one of the best things about this country.

There is one nasty feral species you should be very wary of... the Australian driver. Its a very dangerous belligerant beast to both pedestrians and drivers alike. The mature females ones are just as dangerous and stupid as the youg male ones. :biglaugh:

As for NSW? You haven't mentioned those belligerant Tiger snakes, the Jimble and Blue Bottle jellyfish, Stone fish and... Stingrays?:smile:

They are what make NSW unique, all but the Bluebottle are as rare as rocking horse pooh, but they don't swallow dog's,

As you say, the drivers are the biggest killers here, :yes:.

A lady was walking along pulling a dogs lead behind her, are you the one that lost the dog to the Python a man asked, No snapped the lady, then why are you pulling an empty lead asked the man, have you ever tried pushing one of these said the lady. :biglaugh:

Thanks for the link, just watched it and was amazed that the snake handler steward Douglas appeared to find the fact that this snake had stalked and squeezed every last breath and eaten this poor little family pet dog FUNNY!!! He choked back his laughter while telling us that on top of eating the dog that it had actually also eaten the Cat AND a guinea pig.Didn't think he was being at all sensitive to the family involved.

I really hope all these pet didn't belong to the same family! Those poor kids bet they are having nightmares!!!

Makes me worry about all the other much loved family pets!

Hopefully this is very rare!!

The owner of the dog also found the python coiled up in the dog's bed the night before. It was when he decided to let the dog out at night for a wee that it then became prey for the snake.

You have to question his ability on being a responsible pet owner I think.

Debs x x

Archived