Who's changed jobs?

Karl Lynsey and Kids

Had a 16 year career in the building products testing, certification, inspection and consultancy industry (passive fire safety) and now work in a shop selling quad bikes, mowers and chainsaws.

Why? I moved to my OHs hometown of Cairns and there are no jobs available in my line of work. We did look at living in other places in Oz where I'd have had the opportunity to work in that industry (the big cities), but none of those places 'did it' for me, which my OH was more than happy with!

I'll admit I miss my old career now and again, but the job I am doing now is great fun, I work far less hours than I used to and I don't have anywhere near the amount of hassle at work as my levels of responsibility and culpability are pretty much zero.

All is good...for now!

Me and Hubby were both Prison Officers in the Uk for 17 years. Moved to Australia, and I now do admin at Curtain World in Perth. Hubby has done lots of things - he worked in The Good Guys for a while, he taught First Aid, he taught Sport in Correctional Centres, he did drug testing at large companies, then he got a job as an Orderly in a hospital, then a Theatre Technician and now he's an Orthopaedic Technician which he absolutely loves.

It's a new life, but you've got to plug away and push yourself into jobs, the more people you know the more likely you are to find work - we've found that it's who you know not what you know!