Move or not?

Salma

Out of the blue my mother in law has offered her apartment to us on rent for less than the going rate in Manly. Now I would love to live there but oh works in Alexandria so the commute may be a bit tiresome after a while (unless he takes public transport).

The pros are a totally different lifestyle to what I currently have in Lakemba and paying an extra $55 for the privilege.

The cons further away from my friends who live around SW sydney plus there is more in terms of halal food/pakistani groceries etc

I have said to my husband we can move but it is up to him as he is the one with the commute but ideally we want to buy and no way could we afford to buy anywhere in that area......or do we just enjoy what we can have for a while and once we have money just move to good old suburbia!

So the real question is anyone commute from that way and know how long it takes by car as by ferry/train its not to bad about an 1hr 20 door to door

Guest Ptp113
Out of the blue my mother in law has offered her apartment to us on rent for less than the going rate in Manly. Now I would love to live there but oh works in Alexandria so the commute may be a bit tiresome after a while (unless he takes public transport).

The pros are a totally different lifestyle to what I currently have in Lakemba and paying an extra $55 for the privilege.

The cons further away from my friends who live around SW sydney plus there is more in terms of halal food/pakistani groceries etc

I have said to my husband we can move but it is up to him as he is the one with the commute but ideally we want to buy and no way could we afford to buy anywhere in that area......or do we just enjoy what we can have for a while and once we have money just move to good old suburbia!

So the real question is anyone commute from that way and know how long it takes by car as by ferry/train its not to bad about an 1hr 20 door to door

Use the Manly Ferry. Great way to start and finish the working day

• 2 weeks later...

I know friends have had problems but really in the theme of things how many of us do. If you have friends around the area and the children are settled how will you go with living in Manly. I personally think that Manly is a little on the far side and its beachy and all that stuff. Have not been there for yonks but always thought of it as a sort of touristy place and to far for me to go to work in the city.

As you want to buy I guess it depends where you want to buy living in an area you can afford is often a way of finding out if you want to buy and build your life there. However with your muminlaw owning the property tenure should be secure or is it, any conditions, don't take notice of me I am a bit cynical about family and business and family and rentals One of my friends has had just about all her children living in a flat she owns at one time or another and every time it ends up in tears. Falling out etc. Too close for comfort.

whilst its awful what has happened to your friend, unfortunately crime is everywhere, even in more affluent or desirable areas. Where i live will always depend on convenience, close to work and amenities for my lifestyle. Though wherever i live i always end up thinking or wanting to move elsewhere, usually alot further than where i am, but thats because i get bored easy. If to move would you get bored of your more desirable lifestyle in new area and miss friends and family and the familiarity as well as possibly seeing less of your partner? If its a case you want a better lifestyle and you think that would give you then move, friends etc are not that far. But if the move holds you back on long term plans like your own permanent home then i would stay............good luck x

well have decided to move after a friend's business was involved in an armed robbery and their kids were held at gunpoint. It when the gun crime is no longer happening to someone else but to a dear friends family.

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8690141

That's awful news Salma,hope they are all ok?Good luck with your move,and best wishes for a happy future!xx

Totally agree crime is everywhere in Sydney......but it this robbery and then a robbery at a store I visit often has spooked me plus I guess this all happened after having that offer.

In the UK we rented from my brother and never had a problem and we always paid on time etc so cannot see it being a problem with MIL. Yes it may spoil me and make me want to live in the area on a permanent basis but shall see what the future holds.

The commute is the same I use to do when I lived in the UK yes it was before we had a child we have worked it out and it 1.5 hrs max and can be shortened by lifts to and from wharf n bus from mascot station.

thank you for all your advice.