IT jobs in Brisbane

n1ck

I just wanted to provide another POV about Brisbane. Saying 'IT' jobs is like saying a 'tradie' it's far better to be specific (apologies if you already have). I'm pretty much a CIO for a small IT provider (i say CIO to give you an idea that i pretty much head the technical side of the company). Part of that is recruitment and I had a serious issue getting good mid to senior level IT people. The issue is that many people over reach, or believe they are better than they are - as such their salary expectations are silly and they dont get any results from interviews. If you are good, have realistic expectations you WILL get a job in Brisbane , i can supply some suggestions. Happy to talk one2one if that helps ? when do you arrive ?

If you are good, have realistic expectations you WILL get a job in Brisbane , i can supply some suggestions.

Perhaps you can post what kind of experience you're looking for and more or less what salary is on offer. NO need to mention your company name, just to get a feel for what's around.

I just wanted to provide another POV about Brisbane. Saying 'IT' jobs is like saying a 'tradie' it's far better to be specific (apologies if you already have). I'm pretty much a CIO for a small IT provider (i say CIO to give you an idea that i pretty much head the technical side of the company). Part of that is recruitment and I had a serious issue getting good mid to senior level IT people. The issue is that many people over reach, or believe they are better than they are - as such their salary expectations are silly and they dont get any results from interviews. If you are good, have realistic expectations you WILL get a job in Brisbane , i can supply some suggestions. Happy to talk one2one if that helps ? when do you arrive ?

I'd have to disagree with some of this. People do overreach in Brisbane, particularly if they've only had experience of the Brisbane market. I've worked as a PM and change manager for 20+ years for blue chip UK, American, Australian companies. But due to its size, there is a shortage of mid to senior roles, and I've known many excellent people who have left Brisbane to find work. Not because they asked for too much money or didn't have great experience - a lot of time recruiters couldn't recognise experience. Most of the people i knew were female, maybe that didn't help. One thing I do find is a very low maturity among some recruiters - short lists of 15-20 candidates for interview aren't uncommon. When I was recruiting, my experience meant I could always get my short list down to three or four. And none of the people leaving Brisbane thought they were better than they were - all quickly secured jobs at the appropriate level in Melbourne, Sydney or UK - even in Adelaide!!

Hey guys - just curious to know how the IT market is at present in Brisbane, if anyone happens to know ?

I will hopefully be moving over in November time and I'm currently in a good job in the UK, however there is no option to transfer so I'll be trying to gain something new once I get there.

My background is in application support and IT business analysis in the financial sector.

I must confess I am lazy so I have not read your entire thread but from all my mates in IT in Brisbane I hear it's tough out there. Not withstanding they say jobs are out there but you just have to network - applying for jobs on line or via a recruiter, you can just about forget about - its all about who you know.

Flick me your resume and I can pass it on to my mates of mine who manage big IT projects in Brisbane.

I'm not a recruiter and there is nothing in this for me other than a beer and a curry if something happens

I work for a ASX200 listed company in Brissy with a sizeable IT department and I am not seeing good experienced staff finding it hard to change roles or companies at all. I know my company hasn't exactly had a huge selection to choose from when filling positions.

I am with you "I have a mate that works in IT that and is finding it hard" means nothing, is he a 18 years old Service Desk guy with 4 moths of experience, or a 40 year old DBA with 15 years+ of experience.

Brisbane is a very clear #3 for IT and "per population" I would estimate 20-30% weaker than Melbourne which isn't bad.

It's nice to see some positive comments about potential work in Brisbane. I've worked on some very large IT Project's in the UK - and Im currently managing the Migration and then Decommission of 3 Global Data Centre's for a Large Global Pharmaceutical - one being in Singapore - so have good AsiaPac experience.

Battleneter/acantril - does the offer of sending CV's extend to all?

We are moving at the end of November - and expect not to start work immediately because of the "season" - and have mixed feeling's about starting my job hunt. In the UK I've been fortunate to have the right skill set - and be in demand - and therefore always (luckily) had the finish Friday, start Monday career. I realise this isn't necessarily going to be the case in Brisbane.

Is it too early to apply for jobs now? I know in the UK I couldn't hire someone and wait 4 months.

Is it too early to apply for jobs now? I know in the UK I couldn't hire someone and wait 4 months.

I think you're right; you'd be lucky to swing a job offer so far in advance. But, it might help to form a list of potential employers. They might reply now and say get back in touch when you're here (some employers take your plans with a pinch of salt because a lot of people "are going to emigrate" but it never materializes, or they think you want them to sponsor you ) in which case they go on the interesting list, or they might just give you a blank refusal, which is also useful. In this way you can hit the ground running when you arrive. At the very least you could be researching what employers there are out there. It's much easier to do the groundwork now rather than when you arrive. When you're actually here there's lots of other stuff that will also compete for your attention.

Generally speaking most employment agencies don't like to deal with people not already in he country as overseas enquirers often fall flat so I have been told.. Its not impossible just a lot harder.

My advice is go on Seek.com.au and change to the city you are after, pretend you are looking for a job right now!, see what is available, do it for a few weeks every day. If there is 5 maybe 10 jobs a week that seem like roughly you then you are golden, if not then you may have to ponder your options.