Information about renting in Australia

Hi everybody!

In the next 3 months i am moving with my spouse to Australia and I was just wondering what is the best way to go about renting houses etc. Should my partner go over first?? should i bring furniture over?? Is it possible to get a fully- furnished household?? Since it is my first time moving abroad I am very confused on which way to go about moving!! Its quite dear to rent please if anyone has any information let me know asap.

Thanks

Kirsty

Hi Kirsty,

Where will you be moving to? I ask because each State and Territory has its own legislation around renting, so the specifics tend to be different between areas.

Generally you are easily able to rent fully furnished properties from overseas Just do a google search for fully furnished apartments in the area you're moving to and check out the results.

If you do bring furniture over, keep in mind that it can take up to three months for it to actually arrive - longer if there are delays in unloading or due to bad weather. Just something to keep in mind if you are planning on bringing over furniture etc.

Renting is expensive unfortunately, for example in Perth an unfurnished three bedroom property which is a half hour drive to the city can easily rent for $400-$450 a week.

Feel free to search this site for info as well, you will find that lots of others have asked the same questions you're asking :)

Regards

Jen :)

Edited by The Pom Queen
Forum rules

Hi, furnished properties tend to be short term lets, eg a few weeks. These allow you to sort yourselves out and find a log term rental etc before your container arrives. Long term lets (6 months +) tend to be unfurnished, they will have an oven, may have a dishwasher but probably wont have a fridge or anything else.

BB

Yes the furnished properties tend to be short term lets. If you have decent furniture have a look at the shipping costs to bring it over. If it is worthwhile then do it, if not you can pick up decent furniture packages at the likes of Super Amart. We got a few things there when we arrived and all is lasting well 16 months on.

In terms of the time before your stuff arrives (I think it was only 3 weeks after we moved into our long term rental) - we hired a washing machine but everything else we borrowed or did without. Anything we needed anyway we got at Super Amart - like an extra bed and table and chairs.

We also had enough room in our luggage to bring some basics like a set of cutlery, some hard plastic cups, plates and bowls.

I think most people book a holiday let or furnished house for their first few weeks. This gives you time to find an area, find a longer term (unfurnished) rental, view and apply for it.

Renting furnished can be quite expensive so if your thinking of staying for 4 weeks or so , ask for a discount when you e-mail about costs and availability.

Lots of luck with everything

Cal x