Melbourne beautiful City... Anyone moving there?

Shugah

We always planned to move onto Melbourne soon after as we'd prefer to be in a bigger city (we're city folk I guess) - we've got a rental here in Adelaide at the moment and have toyed with the idea of staying put but we had a talk last night and are still going to pack up and move, probably just after Christmas. If we don't do it now then we probably never will.

Yay, city folks :) seems like most people who come here head straight for the burbs. Not my cup of tea really. Good luck with the move, have you visited Melbourne before?

By choice I think we'd probably like to live in Fitzroy, Brunswick East or possibly Carlton but if we have an easy rental option for our initial arrival then we can't really turn that down. Plus, Prahran's still pretty nice, if not a little posh.

I wouldn't call Prahran posh. That end of Chapel Street is kind of grimy, with an abundance of pawn shops. The top end, by Toorak Rd is the posh end.

Personally I love the grungy, arty, busy feel of Melbourne - it feels a bit more 'real' to me somehow. Perhaps I'm just used to things being a little bit damp and mouldy back in the UK and am looking for some home comforts :wink:. I'm a bit like my Dad - I've always felt a bit trapped in the suburbs and I prefer an environment where there's a lot of people around me.

Living in the suburbs requires a car. I love that fact that I can walk into the CBD in 15 minutes, or can hop on the tram for a quick 5 minute ride. Melbourne is a good mix of grime & new. I love a city that has that 'lived in' feel and you can see how it has evolved over time. I also love the fact there are people everywhere. Having previously lived in Canberra for a year, where the streets are empty, I felt at home when stepping out of Southern Cross Station onto the bustling streets of Melbourne.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived in Sydney and Melbourne and much prefer Melbourne. As you say its not so brash and plastic as Sydney, refined is a word I would use for it. Fashion is better as we have the climate for it, people dress up more as its cooler. Gardens are lovely, something for everyone, hills, beaches, and Victoria being the smallest State has so much to offer.

One of my best friends is from Sydney and she moved to Melbourne for the climate, she hated the humidity in Sydney.

I do like Hobart as well, another town with character.

My partner's also lived in Sydney for years but got totally over the trashy, transient side of it, and the shallow, materialistic nature of many people (and the rain and humidity). Apart from the Harbour and city beaches (none of which have are really accessible to park near if you're travelling by car, or served by any public transport other than a crappy bus ) there's not much to recommend it as a place to live. Lot of jobs based there but then there are in Melbourne too - i had no problem finding work . Sydney's bad to travel around due to its geography, it's not cycling friendly either which if you're a cyclist is a shame. All these factors combined make it quite a stressful place to live for many people, which is a pity, it has suffered through underinvestment in infrastructure for decades and now feels very overcrowded and often chaotic in a way that melbourne never does.

having lived in Melbourne now i can firmly say i think i would probably struggle to live in Sydney and enjoy as good a quality of life - my perception is thatlife is generally a bit easier in Melbourne, there's a lot more space, property is better value and the city flows better. Also the bay beaches in Melb are never packed and you can always find a quiet spot in the parks. culturally there's just as much if not more happening in Melbourne than in Sydney. There's a great urban arty scene and for fashion sport and food there's nowhere better in my humble opinion.

Edited by jimmyay1

My partner's also lived in Sydney for years but got totally over the trashy, transient side of it, and the shallow, materialistic nature of many people (and the rain and humidity). Apart from the Harbour and city beaches (none of which have are really accessible to park near if you're travelling by car, or served by any public transport other than a crappy bus ) there's not much to recommend it as a place to live. Lot of jobs based there but then there are in Melbourne too - i had no problem finding work . Sydney's bad to travel around due to its geography, it's not cycling friendly either which if you're a cyclist is a shame. All these factors combined make it quite a stressful place to live for many people, which is a pity, it has suffered through underinvestment in infrastructure for decades and now feels very overcrowded and often chaotic in a way that melbourne never does.

having lived in Melbourne now i can firmly say i think i would probably struggle to live in Sydney and enjoy as good a quality of life - my perception is thatlife is generally a bit easier in Melbourne, there's a lot more space, property is better value and the city flows better. Also the bay beaches in Melb are never packed and you can always find a quiet spot in the parks. culturally there's just as much if not more happening in Melbourne than in Sydney. There's a great urban arty scene and for fashion sport and food there's nowhere better in my humble opinion.

Agree, its just different, as I said not so visually appealing on first look, but what is underneath is great and makes for a great life. Could not live anywhere else

Yay, city folks :) seems like most people who come here head straight for the burbs. Not my cup of tea really. Good luck with the move, have you visited Melbourne before?

We've visited Melbourne a few times - although my OH's been a lot more being the Aussie half of the partnership. We've always had a good time there and there seems to be more than enough in the way of entertainment (either paid or just wandering through the city) to keep us occupied. Plus we have a fair few friends there now (a lot of my OH's friends moved to Melbs from Adelaide in their mid twenties - as well as knowing a few people from back in the UK who live there now) so hopefully we'll have some friends to do stuff with too. I can sort of see the attraction of the burbs, especially if you've got a family, but after a few months of renting in the burbs here in Adelaide I get a bit restless when I think that this could be *it* for the rest of my life. I'm definitely a city person :wink:

I wouldn't call Prahran posh. That end of Chapel Street is kind of grimy, with an abundance of pawn shops. The top end, by Toorak Rd is the posh end.

Ah, I've never actually been to Prahan - just going from what some friends have told us. Presumably they meant the top end of Chapel Street. That's probably a good thing, like I say I like grime - reminds me of home.

Living in the suburbs requires a car. I love that fact that I can walk into the CBD in 15 minutes, or can hop on the tram for a quick 5 minute ride. Melbourne is a good mix of grime & new. I love a city that has that 'lived in' feel and you can see how it has evolved over time. I also love the fact there are people everywhere. Having previously lived in Canberra for a year, where the streets are empty, I felt at home when stepping out of Southern Cross Station onto the bustling streets of Melbourne.

Yeah we've got a car but even here in Adelaide we try to rely on public transport as much as possible. We're lucky that we have a bus that goes straight to the CBD from the end of our road - we bus to work and back and also if we head into the city on the weekends. We only really use the car for shopping or for longer trips. Melbourne's tram network is awesome though. It's so sad to think Adelaide had a really comprehensive network until it was all ripped up in the 50s.

• 1 month later...
Hoping to move to St Kilda. There is so much to sort out from the right bank account to where to live?!?? Any advice or comments? :biggrin:

Have you been to St. Kilda before? I find it to be very gritty. It's one of the suburbs that I feel a little uncomfortable when walking around during the day/evening. St Kilda is known as a prostitution & drug problem area, so be very careful where you choose to live. I certainly wouldn't walk around there late at night.

Have you been to St. Kilda before? I find it to be very gritty. It's one of the suburbs that I feel a little uncomfortable when walking around during the day/evening. St Kilda is known as a prostitution & drug problem area, so be very careful where you choose to live. I certainly wouldn't walk around there late at night.

Really?

I walk around their with my daughters (aged 5 and 9)

Admit their are some streets (like all suburbs) you would not take young ones down, but disagree with your comments tainting the whole area as rough.

I'm not a local but I thought it was the case that St Kilda *used* to be much more of a dodgy area than it is now and has been gentrified somewhat in recent years.

Sometimes a place's previous reputation can linger on despite modern reality being completely different. For example, my hometown of Brighton back in the UK used to be quite a hole back in the 70s/80s and I'm amazed at the number of times non-residents have slated it as such in recent years when in reality it's an utterly different and much nicer, safer place to be than it was back then - despite there being a few remaining areas which have yet to fully catch up. The old reputation is hard to shake...

It's certainly better than it used to be, but still, you can see signs of the old St Kilda. Just 1 month ago, a prostitute was murdered there. There is a bit of a misconception that St. Kilda is a great place to live by the beach. Just got to go in there with eyes wide open.

It's certainly better than it used to be, but still, you can see signs of the old St Kilda. Just 1 month ago, a prostitute was murdered there. There is a bit of a misconception that St. Kilda is a great place to live by the beach. Just got to go in there with eyes wide open.

When I visited St Kilda I couldn't get the theme tune of the Sullivans out of my head. I do like the place, warts and all.

• 1 month later...

Hi egrek,

Well I understand and thank you for sharing that big post, I'm sure it will help lot of people. Well as far as job wise i think anyone can get job in melb, whether WHV, STUDENT, Temp visa etc. My own experience as I was there for 3 years as a student and it was awesome. Not hard at all. In fact lot of WHV were in Melb and second most popular with them is darwin coz they can score a job in bar or rasto with backpacker facility.

Again will say this that Different strokes for Different folks

Hi egrek and about food trust me mate you havn't tries food in melb to say that its not good compared to adelaide. Go anywhere in melb and the food is the best in Australia. Right from Italian , english, turkish , greek, vietnamese, thai, chinese, jap, afrikan, muslim chinese, indonesian, indian, french, croatian etc etc...

Malaysian food is not upto the mark and Filipino restos i hav nt come across. Anyone who can share with me some nice Malay or filipino resto in melb would be awesome.

Hi egrek and about food trust me mate you havn't tries food in melb to say that its not good compared to adelaide. Go anywhere in melb and the food is the best in Australia. Right from Italian , english, turkish , greek, vietnamese, thai, chinese, jap, afrikan, muslim chinese, indonesian, indian, french, croatian etc etc...

Malaysian food is not upto the mark and Filipino restos i hav nt come across. Anyone who can share with me some nice Malay or filipino resto in melb would be awesome.

Maybe it wasn't clear - I was trying to say Adelaide has (we were told) a reputation for the best food, but the food we've had in Melbourne is great and there seemed to be more choice IN Melbourne - mainly as it's bigger I'd assume. :) I guess you can read my post either way!

...though looking at your list, we've still got a way to go! :)

As for the jobs, I've had a lot of trouble recently looking for work. End of year and change of government are the agencies choice for blame at the moment. Heard it's gotten a lot harder to get jobs in the past two years. So came at a good time, but starting to suffer now!

(and as you say - different people, levels, experience and requirements mean a lot of different results!)

There is a good Filipino restaurant in South Melbourne called Dahon Tea Lounge

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/71/1618669/restaurant/Melbourne/Dahon-Tea-Lounge-South-Melbourne

Their lease has expired and they only have about 1 month left at the current location. They are looking for a new spot, hopefully in the same area. It is run by a filipino family, very authentic.