Melbourne beautiful City... Anyone moving there?

Shugah

Hi anyone moving to melbourne ? want to discuss about the city the work life, places to go then post it here.

I started this thread so we can all share the knowledge and help others who wanna settle in.

Cheers,

Shugah

Edited by Rupert
removing unpleasant comment

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We moved to Melbourne in March and moved out again in June. Finding work was impossible. Employers and recruiters just dont bother to return calls or e mails. Other half applied for over 120 jobs while we were there, 3 replied to her.

We have moved back to Perth and she was employed within 4 days.

Melbourne might be a beautiful place but also very expensive to live

Hi All,

alley

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. To be honest like someone likes Perth, adelaide or brisbane it all boild down to how you feel there. For me the most ugliest city is Sydney. I hate it there. Too much in your face. Where as melb if you want country side feel you can just drive 1.30 hours from suburb. On the other hand I love brisbane, its nice love the beaches ( have to drive towards Gold Coast) or can drive futher down to nimbin valley.

Finding job in melb was a cake walk and I'm not sure which field your from. But I wish all the best and luck for your future. Hey and MELBOURNE is classy way better than SYDNEY. We can argue all day long.

different strokes for different folks

Regards,

Shugah

I agree- no comparison Melb and Sydney. Sydney is brash, in your face and trashy compared with Melbourne. Wouldn't say it is ugly though, that's a stretch. Melbourne is so very big you can't say it is ugly or beuatiful because it covers just about every sort of terrain there is from mountains to beaches to forests to the urban grunge stuff.

Moved there 2 weeks ago but still not had time to get into the city. Been too busy finding a rental in week one, then started work on Monday so been really hectic! Drove past it every day this week on the way to and from work and it looks pretty amazing to me. Can't believe how much traffic is on the M1 eastbound at 6:00 in the morning, and on the Princes Highway northbound towards the Westgate Bridge at 4:00 on an afternoon! (I refuse to pay the tolls every day to use the city link at nearly $7 each way!).

Edited by d4ddyc00l

I have visited Melbourne at least 3-4 times now, and I love it everytime we go there! We are lucky that we have the opportunity to move there next year in February to start our new lives. We are all looking forward to settling there! Can't wait! :)

Hi d4daddy,

Well you are right, no one likes to pay for the toll. Hey we can't complain about everything right. I wish I can buy my own island but can't have everything on my island even richard branson can't lol.

Traffic is gonna be there since it it second to Sydney. Do go to the city enjoy at flinders or for a modern view go to southern cross. I love Flinders because you can see the architecture and culture over there dont forget to have cup of cuppa in flinders lane. Some pretty amazing restos down there.

Rentals are cheap in western suburbs and they are not that far from the City. Where as other suburbs it's like a mission to get anywhere. I reckon Car can solve that problem, but traffic ... mini jet pack, straight out ain't it? hahaha just muckin mate.

All the best hope you gonna enjoy melb and hey if you wanna about restos or hangout joint do ask mate I would love to share with you and other lads on this forum.

Fingers crossed will get visa next week so can enjoy my time back in melb.

Cheers,

Shugah

Hi Joanna,

You will love Melbourne. It is classy it has culture it has everything which other cities can't offer.

If you are a foodie then it is the best place you can find any cuisine you want. ( Lygon street and Melb CBD)

If you like culture then why not you can enjoy Greek , Italian , Vietnamese , Chinese , Indian , Indonesian, Ethopian, Turkish and Lebanese culture in different suburbs in Melb. ( Personally I like Greek food I always go to Oakleigh Suburb in Melb to enjoy my food and Frapppppppppeeeeee Melaka reeeeeeeeeeeee hahahah I miss it .

It is the fashion Hub way better than any city.

You can see people performing on the streets, You can see some lanes with beautiful graffiti ( dont worry you wont get mugged) . Artists everywhere. Love it

Transport is the best in whole Australia. Let's say you dont want a car then train tram and bus can solve the problem and yes you just have to buy monthly ticket which you can use for infinite times unlike sydney every stop you have to pay different fare amount.

You wanna save a $ then in city itself you can take the Jurassic ( year 1910 tram , sorry that's what I call it but it's a beauty) tram which gives you free ride and takes you for a city tour in circles plus the friendly tour guide will tell you about the melbourne buildings and culture.

You wanna drive to mountain please go to Mount Bullar not that far I reckon 4 hours depends which part of melb you from. drive to adelaide 7 hours roughly 720 kms from melbourne. Sydney is 9 hours straight 912 kms approx. On your way to Sydney wanna enjoy nice juicy steak stop over at Albury town 4.5 hours away from melbourne. You have to I mean it mate You have tooooooooooo see 12 apostles and great ocean road if you gonna live in melbourne.

I reckon that helps jolly good I can make a good tour guide what do you think? Man I just realized I can do other things than what I'm doing now ahahhahahahahaha

Regards,

Shugah

I agree- no comparison Melb and Sydney. Sydney is brash, in your face and trashy compared with Melbourne. Wouldn't say it is ugly though, that's a stretch. Melbourne is so very big you can't say it is ugly or beuatiful because it covers just about every sort of terrain there is from mountains to beaches to forests to the urban grunge stuff.

I have lived in Sydney and Melbourne and much prefer Melbourne. As you say its not so brash and plastic as Sydney, refined is a word I would use for it. Fashion is better as we have the climate for it, people dress up more as its cooler. Gardens are lovely, something for everyone, hills, beaches, and Victoria being the smallest State has so much to offer.

One of my best friends is from Sydney and she moved to Melbourne for the climate, she hated the humidity in Sydney.

I do like Hobart as well, another town with character.

Yes indeed, in the eye of the beholder. I find it grey, grungy, graffiti ridden, this is the city, don't know about suburbs.. Not my cup of tea.

Many people like this aspect of Melbourne. A lot of people perceive all this as character, a city that has an edginess to it.

On the other hand, Melbourne has an abundance of parkland, Victorian era buildings, many of which are quite exquisite and grand by Australian standards, leafy streetscapes, beautiful gardens and a vibrant cultural atmosphere.

Not saying other Australian cities don't have this but Melbourne has it most.

I have lived in Sydney and Melbourne and much prefer Melbourne. As you say its not so brash and plastic as Sydney, refined is a word I would use for it. Fashion is better as we have the climate for it, people dress up more as its cooler. Gardens are lovely, something for everyone, hills, beaches, and Victoria being the smallest State has so much to offer.

One of my best friends is from Sydney and she moved to Melbourne for the climate, she hated the humidity in Sydney.

I do like Hobart as well, another town with character.

A lot of people like to say that Melbourne lacks natural beauty and wilderness, but how many cities in Australia (or the world for that matter) can boast some of the tallest trees on earth and temperate rainforest within just 45-50km of the city centre.

As you say, Victoria has some really diverse scenery packed into quite a small area, and some of the best of this is within 100km of Melbourne

Edited by Melb3000

Many people like this aspect of Melbourne. A lot of people perceive all this as character, a city that has an edginess to it.

On the other hand, Melbourne has an abundance of parkland, Victorian era buildings, many of which are quite exquisite and grand by Australian standards, leafy streetscapes, beautiful gardens and a vibrant cultural atmosphere.

Not saying other Australian cities don't have this but Melbourne has it most.

I agree, but would also endorse Rupert's view of the graffiti (especially the moronic 'tagging') which does ruin large parts of the city.

Guest The Pom Queen

We lived 8 years in Melbourne personally I found it very much like the UK with a few more days of sun and hot temps. Eventually though you acclimatise and it is freezing.

There are some stunning places in Victoria and there are some ugly places. I had never been to Australia prior to moving to Melbourne and it wasn't at all how I imagined, in fact we got off the plane it was freezing and pouring with rain and I remember thinking we may as well of stayed in the UK. However, once you start getting out and about you see some beautiful areas, like the Dandenong Ranges (don't get these mixed up with the town of Dandenong which is in my opinion ugly) then Mornington, Beach Road, Berwick and then you have places further afield like Wilson's Prom, Ottaways, Sorrento, Port Fairy, etc.

Have to agree with Rupert in that wherever you go in Melbourne graffiti is rife it is such a shame.

Guest The Pom Queen
A lot of people like to say that Melbourne lacks natural beauty and wilderness, but how many cities in Australia (or the world for that matter) can boast some of the tallest trees on earth and temperate rainforest within just 45-50km of the city centre.

As you say, Victoria has some really diverse scenery packed into quite a small area, and some of the best of this is within 100km of Melbourne

Cairns, we have real rainforests and trees like this :tongue:

P1030666.jpg

62h98u.jpg

P1030666.jpg

62h98u.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen

There is a difference though between things like this which personally I still don't like

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20114[/ATTACH]

and this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20115[/ATTACH]

Unfortunately the latter is what you see in most suburbs :no:

Hi Shugah

[h=2]Answering your original post:

Moved here with my partner in 2011 on the WHV - stayed with friends to start with and then got our own place!

Had friends do the same with us, and other friends go straight to hostels.

The city we chose - partly because I had friends here, but mainly as the 30 people we met as we travelled over here, ALL said Melbourne (this was travellers and Aussies! And not all of them were from Melbourne!)

- we also believe - Melbourne to visit - would be a bit dull, but is great to live. Of course we've not been many other places in Oz yet - so relied on what others told us.

Sydney I have been told is great if you're in the banking or have a good job to go to (and if you can afford a view of the opera house!) - I've recently had other friends love it! So maybe there is more to it ;)

Adelaide - (just been) seemed so small after Melbourne, but suppose to have better food? (and I thought Melbourne had a good food rep - seem to have more choice!)

Perth - Mining and lots of money if you get the good job! (One girl left Melbourne and got double doing the same in Perth) but... if you're not working, of course everything else is expensive - and not too sure what there is to do there?

So far we're glad we're here, nearly 2 years now. Maybe it's not 'home' but it's a decent distraction! :) And I have other friends who now call it home too! :)[/h]Work life?

REALLY depends on your job (and company). My IT friend had free beers each day, lots of extras - keeping him interested. I'm in Finance and it's a struggle to get work (or good work) but had two decent jobs - need to work my way up to getting the next ;) But not had half the perks IT get. My partners in education and finding the levels here so much lower than UK - work is easy. Seems to be more political and relaxed here (I say even though at month end, my best was a 17 our day!) And our friend, 'un-skilled' worked office and loved the money compared to the US! So again - all depends on the type of work, type of company and how it fits your needs!

I have found it difficult to feel you're getting anywhere - online seems to be bad. Visas don't get you any help, or doors. Agents are good to get jobs (a necessary evil!) and for most it's down to luck. Like most countries now, it's all who you know, and most of us don't have the history to know.

Myself - careful what you sign up for. A friend was working 9-5 and living in a hostel - he said not great - but did it for his last 3 months! So it can be done!

Starting job hunting can be really crap. First you "don't have the local (Australian) experience" - once you do, " visa limitations", "non-residence", "non-citizen" - it's not easy - but when you're earning the Oz wage, with their world reknown disposable income, things start to look better.

In Melbourne - Immigration museum is interesting, free tram around the city takes about an hour in a circle and good to move around. There is a free tourist bus (not been on it), St Kilda is a fav (the beach!) - cafes are what Melbourne is famous for - Chocolait is great for the 'chocolate shot' (we prefer drinking) to hit any chocoholics spot!

Asian Beer Cafe is fantastic for the $4 pizza (certain times) and was a staple when we first moved here! Opposite the library!

I REALLY recommend the various vouches: Ourdeal, Groupon, Scoupon, Living Social, etc. There are many and they have some great deals - TRUE you may buy things you don't want or wouldn't normally buy - but we've had some great meals we wouldn't have gone for! (Maybe avoid the diving deals - unless you research it well! Our friend was not impressed!) a good way to afford a $100 meal for the price of $30-50.

Lasttix - was great to see some half price concerts last year - not had many this year?)

Outside Melbourne, Great Ocean road is the main attraction - we were mixed, you need the sun, and it's nice, but... not a world attraction (for me). We did it in a weekend and it was fine, you could take your time and go longer, or make it the full way to Adelaide (but told after Warnambol - there is nothing)

We did really like Domain Chandon - one of the wineries in the Yarra valley (but the Champagne equivalent) expensive, but a bottle of champers and a cheese plate and love the view. Planning on going back soon! Wineries and Healesville sanctuary is great to see platapus!

Ballarat and Echuga were good day/weekend trips.

We wanted to earn lots of money before we felt we could spend it (like the rest of Australia - travel is expensive!) so travelled a lot around Melbourne, but not much out of Victoria (Adelaide last weekend - and lvoed some of the things around there too!)

Hope this helps you and the others! :)

PS. Currently out of work (by choice) so message me and I can meet up with new people to the city! Giving it a week before my hunt renews!

I've visited Melbourne a few times. Went first with work and we wanted to be back home as it was just before Christmas. Weather was average we were there for 3 weeks and I didn't really like it that much.

Went back as my wife wanted to go for her 40th. This time the weather was brilliant, I had time to relax and have a look round and I enjoyed it. Loved the Botanic gardens and the Shrine of Remembrance. The tour was one of the most moving experiences and the displays, tour guides and history were brilliant. My 12 year old loved it, highlight of the weekend.

Reminds me a bit of Manchester, where we used to live. Bit darker and older looking then other Aus cities.

Prefer Perth, Brisbane, Sydney Melbourne in that order, but Melbournes nice.