You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Quoll

Counting down!

I think you will always find work in London although it may not be exactly what you want to start with.  Within reason be prepared to do anything and once you're

in the workforce doors will open for you.  I'm not speaking from experience. I'm too old now, but hear from others work is available but just be careful. I hope it all works out for you and your daughter and surely your relatives will keep an eye out for you.

I have found a o great Airb&b in the local town I'm going to and was able to negotiate a better price because I've said I would like to stay for 3 months or more as will be looking for something permanent.  Maybe you could do the same.I'm talking about Aus but rent coming in on a regular basis is attractive in anyone's language.

Good luck to you both.  Just keep your wits about you!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fiona&Amy said:

Its frustrating at the moment as I want to get on and do stuff, but its still too far out to sell the car and pack boxes.  We will take a lot of our furniture with us, but its mostly IKEA stuff that we can flat-pack, so we won't even have half a container.  I do feel like I want to take it with us, and at least it will save us having to fork out for new furniture when we'll probably be paying a premium in rent!

....Also, where did anyone live the first few weeks before you found a new place?  I'm thinking maybe a few weeks in an Air BNB? 

Take a look at the Movecube.  There are three sizes to choose from.  If you'll have less than half a container, they're a much more sensible choice.  

It's never too early to pack boxes. I'm sure you've got stuff you don't use every day but you don't want to part with it.  Think books, photos, ornaments, spare bedlinen or towels.   

Just getting a box or two and thinking about what to pack is a good exercise:  Look around the house and ask yourself, "what could I manage without for the next 10 months?" or "what haven't I used/worn/looked at in the last 10 months?".   Then when you identify stuff, ask yourself why you're keeping it before you pack it!  

AirBnB is probably the best option for the first few weeks.  

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

I had a nursing (health visitor) interview via facetime when I returned last year. So they do it and I’m talking NHS which isn’t exactly cutting edge in this respect! 😁

Good luck! My first year back has flown by!

• Like 1

My ex had a job interview via Skype (or it might have been Facetime) before we came back. He was really lucky with his new employer - he was headhunted by them, and they did things like look around a rental on our behalf so that we could move straight into a rental (we had two kids and four cats so AirBnB would have been difficult). I agree with Marisawright that you could start to sort and pack now. I started ours about nine months before we actually moved. I used an app (I think it was called Sortly) to log an inventory of each box and stick a label with a QR code linked to the inventory, so I always knew exactly what was in each box. It was a great opportunity to get rid of some stuff.

• Like 2

Its been a while since I last posted.... I am now 37 days out from moving home.  I have a small move cube coming this Friday which I am managing to fit 24 boxes and a mountain bike in.  TOR approval has been received and it looks like we may have been approved for a rental too.  Just waiting to hear back if the owner is happy for us to move in 3 weeks later than they wanted but pay rent for those 3 weeks.  Its all coming together nicely :)

• Like 2
  • Congratulations 1