What are the main reasons you moved back?

jen85

That's because I couldn't think anything worse than going through life looking for free things to do, I like to spend money and yes I find WA a massive rip off, so I'm allowed to moan .!! Yer people earn more money but your spend every single cent of that extra coin because of cost

Well you'll be moaning when you move back to the UK then and find that every single pence you earn over there will disappear exactly the same. btw I don't "go through life looking for free things to do". Just that a lot of the things I do are free here and mostly not even available where we're from. So wouldn't have the choice to do them or not.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest74886
Agree with most however these are pretty common to most countries right.. Each country has their good and bad element.

Nope, you have to go to greed is good places like the good ole US of A or authoritarian regimes in the developing world to find them all on display like they are here and even the USA has some good points like its cheap to live there and it has positive discrimination laws.

Well you'll be moaning when you move back to the UK then and find that every single pence you earn over there will disappear exactly the same. btw I don't "go through life looking for free things to do". Just that a lot of the things I do are free here and mostly not even available where we're from. So wouldn't have the choice to do them or not.

At least ill be back in the land of the living

Guest Guest16631

........I think we all see what we want to see.........

.......a contentment comes from living somewhere that full fills most of our needs........and many of our wants......

........and these change as life rolls on.......

........most strive for that next step.........

..........not many in today's world are content to be in the same position at 50 than they were at 20......

...........wanting to be further up the ladder in their work.....

...........a bigger home/car........as the family grows..........

..........and to achieve this we travel/ migrate..........looking for ways to obtain what will make life easier/happier/more fulfilled......

..........it's not the country we live in ......ultimately ......it's how we live in that country ........ime......and IMO.......tink x

Funny to see that some complaining that " I don't like this or I'm bored of that or after few attempt is just the same looking blablabla "

But those of you never said what you like??

So come on and say it what you like and lets compare it against what you don't like ;)

Funny to see that some complaining that " I don't like this or I'm bored of that or after few attempt is just the same looking blablabla "

But those of you never said what you like??

So come on and say it what you like and lets compare it against what you don't like ;)

I like the ability to go to different places.. See different things

........I think we all see what we want to see.........

<SNIP>

..........it's not the country we live in ......ultimately ......it's how we live in that country ........ime......and IMO.......tink x

Two points perfectly made.

Guest Guest16631
I like the ability to go to different places.. See different things

......have chosen your post Paul as it is something that is said many times.......

......and while Britain has a very diverse landscape.......

.......Australia has too.............from cost to arid desert......

.......tropical.......................to the snowy blue mtns ........

.......there are a diverse range of places to visit in each place......

.......though Australia doesn't have the wealth of historical buildings.....

........places like the rocks in Sydney.......large parts of Tasmania .....

........have buildings and heritage sites ....dating back to settlement .....

.........before that there are indigenous historical sites.........as interesting as Stonehenge and as accessible ......

.........reading through this thread it's the wants .........that many think are not available here.....

..........the politics/council/workplace failings........are not Australia's alone.......

..........it has shocked and surprised me that many can only see the failings ......

..........and IMO..........they will only see the failings where ever they are.......

............a conscience for the environment.........starts with picking up that first piece of rubbish.......

............but the reliance on the council to clean up..........is endemic to both countries.......

............racism is a world problem.............and will only get better with tolerance from all......

............both countries have refugee issues ATM...........and both have their supporters.......and against ers....

............the same trite arguments are trotted out as Australia's failings......when with a little research.....

.............most of these problems exist in other countries ...the uk included as well.......

..............or something of a just as irritating/annoying.........law/rule/idiosyncrasy .......

.............perhaps it's because we feel there has to be a cause we don't stay in a place we chose......

.............not merely the fact .......it no longer fills our needs.......

Not gone yet, planning to go in approx. 16 months. Leaving because:

a/ Isolated

b/ Very expensive to go and see the rest of Australia - the cost of a flight return to Sydney from Perth is more than a return flight to Bali or further overseas

c/ Boring - not enough things here - done most things in the first couple of years ......

d/ Prices of everything have increased significantly since we arrived 13 years ago.

e/ Paid the equivalent of 22 pounds for two glasses of wine and an ashtray of nuts at some "small" bar in the city - disgraceful.

f/ Want to leave and go back to UK and feel like we are living in the 21st Century not stuck in the 19th ......

g/ Even if you go away for a couple of nights, the cost of poor accommodation in WA is $150+ per night and it's not even 1 star

h/ Completely and utterly bored with the place

I/ Shops here are very overpriced and dull.

Whilst we are glad we made the move, our son has grown up in the sunshine and had a fab childhood, but it's time to move on.

We are looking forward to going back and enjoying Sunday lunches at the pub (at a reasonable price unlike here), being able to travel to Europe very easily and cheaply, the opportunities for our son once he's left school and shopping.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Not gone yet, planning to go in approx. 16 months. Leaving because:

a/ Isolated

b/ Very expensive to go and see the rest of Australia - the cost of a flight return to Sydney from Perth is more than a return flight to Bali or further overseas

c/ Boring - not enough things here - done most things in the first couple of years ......

d/ Prices of everything have increased significantly since we arrived 13 years ago.

e/ Paid the equivalent of 22 pounds for two glasses of wine and an ashtray of nuts at some "small" bar in the city - disgraceful.

f/ Want to leave and go back to UK and feel like we are living in the 21st Century not stuck in the 19th ......

g/ Even if you go away for a couple of nights, the cost of poor accommodation in WA is $150+ per night and it's not even 1 star

h/ Completely and utterly bored with the place

I/ Shops here are very overpriced and dull.

Whilst we are glad we made the move, our son has grown up in the sunshine and had a fab childhood, but it's time to move on.

We are looking forward to going back and enjoying Sunday lunches at the pub (at a reasonable price unlike here), being able to travel to Europe very easily and cheaply, the opportunities for our son once he's left school and shopping.

Just some advice, choose very care fully the area to where you come back to, we are wanting to move because of the lack of opportunities for our kids when they leave education. Over the last couple of years there's been a massive shift away from there being good well paid jobs, with good terms and conditions and decent pensions in the package, not many jobs haven't been effected and there's been a massive reduction in overall wages up and down the country. Over 8 million people work less than 30 hours per week, most jobs advertised are low paid and part time as well. If you have an idea what your child wants to do, then research what potential jobs there are in the area your thinking about going to. Best of luck.

I can accept its boring in Perth (not the rest of the pace just Perth) but as the UK rises it will become more expensive as it was before. Then you will see people actually stuck here as per 10 years ago but people came here on holiday and enjoyed 1 pound to 2.3 dollars and lived like a king for 2 weeks. They made the move, didnt like it but couldnt afford to move back due to not being able to get onto the housing ladder in the UK from selling in Oz.

It will repeat itself again sooner or later

Just some advice, choose very care fully the area to where you come back to, we are wanting to move because of the lack of opportunities for our kids when they leave education. Over the last couple of years there's been a massive shift away from there being good well paid jobs, with good terms and conditions and decent pensions in the package, not many jobs haven't been effected and there's been a massive reduction in overall wages up and down the country. Over 8 million people work less than 30 hours per week, most jobs advertised are low paid and part time as well. If you have an idea what your child wants to do, then research what potential jobs there are in the area your thinking about going to. Best of luck.

Thanks for the tips Hoff. In Perth, unless you work in the mines (which is quite hard to get into unless you are already skilled and have friends that can get you in) Perth pretty much has lots of part time and lower paid jobs. Nearer the time we will do more research as to what areas offer what opportunities in the UK. If nothing else, he will have the opportunity to travel around Europe and who knows, may end up doing something there instead! Thanks for your tips though, much appreciated.

Called a recession mate, just had the worst one in its history. Personally I wouldn't expect jobs a plenty until it finally come out. And if I was you I'd be thinking is it a wise move to move from a country just coming out of a recession to a country that looks like it maybe entering one itself...?

Thanks for the tips Hoff. In Perth, unless you work in the mines (which is quite hard to get into unless you are already skilled and have friends that can get you in) Perth pretty much has lots of part time and lower paid jobs. Nearer the time we will do more research as to what areas offer what opportunities in the UK. If nothing else, he will have the opportunity to travel around Europe and who knows, may end up doing something there instead! Thanks for your tips though, much appreciated.

Yes as you say they are seeing the same thing in Perth and Australia generally, more and more part time jobs and fewer and lower paid full time jobs. There are plenty of opportunities in the UK and Europe and I dont see any facts that point to Australia or indeed here being better or worse as far as future opportunities.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Called a recession mate, just had the worst one in its history. Personally I wouldn't expect jobs a plenty until it finally come out. And if I was you I'd be thinking is it a wise move to move from a country just coming out of a recession to a country that looks like it maybe entering one itself...?

Its not that, if you were here you would know what I am on about, I have been working for nearly 40 years and I have never experienced this before, for instance, police and prison officer recruits are starting on thousands of pounds less, paying a lot more for their pensions and retiring a lot later, prison officers having to work until they are 68 it's a joke. Like I've said before ..... I have heard here on PIO that Australia might go in to recession, year on year since 2008 and it hasn't, maybe it will, but I doubt it. Also the UK isn't coming out of recession, George Osborne said recently the UK economy is now out of critical care and the financial experts see little growth for the next decade.

There seems to be a theme : whinging, moaning and feeling sorry for oneself.

Not really. Just a load of folk who havent been blinded by the advertising and have worked out that what they value and need in their lives just cannot be met in Australia. Horses for courses really. Having made the move myself I can honestly say it is absolutely the best move I could have made for me at this time - financially not advantageous but physical and mental health and well being through the roof! For me it was the country and environment, met none of my needs for a happy and fulfilled life - it wasnt for want of trying to do what I wanted/needed in Aus it just didnt work, the opportunities werent there. Life would be deadly boring if we all liked and did the same things with our allotted span

Sounds like Perth. Figures out last week showed job adverts down 50% on this time last year.

My back to back on my last site was laid off in the first round of redundancies that Newcrest made early in the year. He is a senior geologist and was on a six figure salary. He is now applying for anything and everything. A couple of weeks ago he applied for a job delivering newspapers - here it is done by adults and they just drive past and chuck it out the car window at the house. It pays minimum wage and is far from full time. He didnt get it and enquired for some feedback. The bloke couldnt remember his spcific CV as he had received over 100.

My wife just applied for work at the library part time - 12 hours a week. They were snowed under in applicants

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I surely can't be the only one who hasn't seen any advertising?

I think they mean Wanted Down Under and Poms in paradise, where it shows people in Australia loving it and living it.

Edited by The Hoff