What are the main reasons you moved back?

jen85

I have long had this theory about suburban Perth and why so many seem to like it. I couldnt figure it out, as most of them dont even have a pub and they have these things they call parks, but which are actually about the size of the greens you get in council estates. So, there had to be something that is keeping the residents happy. I initially wondered if there was some sort of government ice cream van running around and dispensing pills to them all when i wasnt looking.

But then it hit me. They attract, like Perth generally, a particular type of person. So, what if, they happen to all have similar interests? By deduction and the fact that there is never anyone about it became obvious. There all swingers. The reason people like the Perth sunurbs is there having wild orgies day and night and that is also why you never see anyone. There all to busy at it with each other.

What is the Australian equivalent of pampas grass?

Does this mean that all the Perth bashers haven't been invited to the party so to speak?

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is amazing just how lifeless the suburbs are. I have walked around some and felt like i was in some sort of horror / sci fi movie where the rest of the world has just vanaished and i was the only one left.

I visited Perth in 1962 whilst in the Royal Navy. At the ship's dance, I met a lovely young lady who lived in Dianella. There wasn't much going on there then and I wonder if things have changed much! I was back in Oz again in 1968, still in the RN only this time it was Sydney that I had the pleasure of visiting. Oz is not a place I ever considered moving to but good luck to those who have given it a go.

Gesendet von meinem A210 mit Tapatalk 2

This has turned into abit of a perth bashing..not my intention but good to hear others opinions. I will say being born and bred here in Perth it is for a certain type of person, but me personally I never felt like I fitted, I enjoy culture and history and Perth has never provided that going to the UK helped me to realise where I'm supposed to be - UK 2014. :biggrin:

Good luck to all who are from here or want to move here!

The parochial nature of the Perth. It feels at times more like i am living in a giant nursing home

The expense of doing things

The lack of having anywhere easy to go. Cant just drive to another major city for a day out

The poor quality of everything from houses to clothes to food.

But you live in Mandurah VS not Perth. I thought it was a giant nursing home down there.

One word. wife

What your wife loves it that much? You are away for weeks on end, she's on her own, judging by some of your other posts she's not that happy with Perth either. You could live anywhere you wanted VS, doing the job you do. Why stay in Mandurah, which is nothing like Perth tbh, and write constantly what is wrong about it. Just move man.

Me too , I hate suburbia life here. The estates may be nice to the eye but you don't see a sole walking around. If you didn't know what day it was you would never guess as every minute of every day is the same.

It was 2 degrees yesterday morning but a typical blue sky Perth winter day. We were down the beach at 9:00 (we get up late on weekends), my missus went to the gym and run squad that trains every Sunday, I went to the beach session where we do surf ski, paddle board, swim, run. Both sessions go on for about 1.5 hours. There is a squad of retirees, who are just finishing their swim of around 2 kms when we get there, they do it every weekend, rain or shine, right through the winter.

The coffee shops, beach paths and even the beach itself still have a lot of people on them, running, walking cycling. There are two parks with kids play equipment right on the beach and each one of them was busy with kids and families. Went to the local coffee place across from the park and it was packed, same as usual on weekends.

Above the coffee shop is a pub that gets packed too. They have to queue up to get in after about 3:00p.m. for the Sunday session.

You need to get out more mate.

Edited by Paul1Perth

It was 2 degrees yesterday morning but a typical blue sky Perth winter day. We were down the beach at 9:00 (we get up late on weekends), my missus went to the gym and run squad that trains every Sunday, I went to the beach session where we do surf ski, paddle board, swim, run. Both sessions go on for about 1.5 hours. There is a squad of retirees, who are just finishing their swim of around 2 kms when we get there, they do it every weekend, rain or shine, right through the winter.

The coffee shops, beach paths and even the beach itself still have a lot of people on them, running, walking cycling. There are two parks with kids play equipment right on the beach and each one of them was busy with kids and families. Went to the local coffee place across from the park and it was packed, same as usual on weekends.

We need more stimulation in our life other than coastal paths and beaches. Bit hard to go running and cycling with a month old baby and a 4 year old. As for parks .. Been there done that too. Only so many times you can visit parks before it becomes boring . Remember as an adult you have to have a quality of life too. Oh well not too long to we leave.

Perth is a bit boring to be honest and if you don't cycle, run or go for coffee all the time there isn't that much else to do without paying for sports equipment etc. People born here don't know any different though.

I can't say though when it comes down to it you tend to do any more in the UK either.

Thing is back home you have family and more friends so you have more of your time taken up seeing people and you tend to work/commute longer so you don't have as much spare time. As a result you arent bored and infact you rush about 90% of the time. Lots of people probably wanted to stop that and came here and are now saying there bored as they have that extra time!!!

The more time passes you will no doubt build up more things that enable you to do more stuff such as a kayak, mountain bike or some sort of hobby/project.

The longer you stay, the more friends you will make and the lass people you will know back home. after some time you may end up rushing about like back in the UK and want a move back to the UK to enjoy a more relaxed lifestyle:biggrin:

Only benefit I can see is the weather which makes day to day life better here, that is at the expense of interesting things with your time off though

We need more stimulation in our life other than coastal paths and beaches. Bit hard to go running and cycling with a month old baby and a 4 year old. As for parks .. Been there done that too. Only so many times you can visit parks before it becomes boring . Remember as an adult you have to have a quality of life too. Oh well not too long to we leave.

With kids that age mate you are just going to have to accept your life has changed forever. Your wife would still let you out for a couple of hours for a run or something though wouldn't she?

Above the coffee shop is a pub that gets packed too. They have to queue up to get in after about 3:00p.m. for the Sunday session.

I think you might find people in the UK do exactly the same thing!

I had a similar experience when we arrived on the Gold Coast from London in 2008. My partner's friends are quite outdoorsy people and so the emphasis socially was on meeting up at an RSL or a park for a picnic or a barbie. After a couple of these catch-ups I felt that I was done with the whole experience. I just couldn't get excited by my surroundings to the extent that they were. Despite the fact that they frequented these places regularly, they'd be rhapsodising over how beautiful it was, like it was the first time they'd ever been there. That's great if it floats your boat (so to speak), but for me one surf beach or patch of rain-Forrest looks much like another, and that's quite apart from the discomfort of being out in the heat of the day. That's not intended to be demeaning of anyone's interests, but it just didn't do anything for me. I'd end up just patiently waiting for it to be over....until the next weekend when the missus would say "so and so called, they're having a barbie at the top of Mount Misery on Sunday, promised her we'd be there...." :arghh::wink:

I had a similar experience when we arrived on the Gold Coast from London in 2008. My partner's friends are quite outdoorsy people and so the emphasis socially was on meeting up at an RSL or a park for a picnic or a barbie. After a couple of these catch-ups I felt that I was done with the whole experience. I just couldn't get excited by my surroundings to the extent that they were. Despite the fact that they frequented these places regularly, they'd be rhapsodising over how beautiful it was, like it was the first time they'd ever been there. That's great if it floats your boat (so to speak), but for me one surf beach or patch of rain-Forrest looks much like another, and that's quite apart from the discomfort of being out in the heat of the day. That's not intended to be demeaning of anyone's interests, but it just didn't do anything for me. I'd end up just patiently waiting for it to be over....until the next weekend when the missus would say "so and so called, they're having a barbie at the top of Mount Misery on Sunday, promised her we'd be there...." :arghh::wink:

Snap

The longer you stay, the more friends you will make and the lass people you will know back home. after some time you may end up rushing about like back in the UK and want a move back to the UK to enjoy a more relaxed lifestyle:biggrin:

Only benefit I can see is the weather which makes day to day life better here, that is at the expense of interesting things with your time off though

Well my parents have been here for 27 years and didn't make any lasting friends, that wasn't without trying. When I was younger mum used to volunteer at the school canteen etc to keep busy and meet people because she isn't one that likes to sit around all day. She always says to me people are just too busy with their own lives or have everything that they want that they just don't bother plus people aren't as friendly.

Not sure if it has changed in the last 15 years but if anything I would have thought it is even busier now.

One of the best summing up of life in Oz i have ever read on here

Guest guest74886

What are the main reasons for going back, how much time time have you got?

A) the dire politics and politicians

B) the endemic corruption at all levels of public life

C) the lack of some kind of history

D) the parochialism

E) the lack of ideas and some clear thinking

F) the lack of a an environmental thought in peoples heads

G) a thought in peoples heads other than how it will benefit me or what I can make out of it

H) the poor value for money of the majority of goods and services

I) being for ever told how fantastic Australia is at everything

J) the use of refugees as political pawns

K) the inherent racism in so much decision making by the State Govt's

L) the profligate and incompetent State Govts

M) the Australians denial of their racist past

N) the tragic and quite unnecessary exploitation of the Aborigines which still goes on today

O) a country which has 2 political parties of the same ilk to try and prove it's a democracy

P) that it's so far away from anywhere that isn't a tropical banana republic or dictatorship

Q) everywhere is the same as the place you just left whilst trying to find somewhere different

R) the inability of anyone able to have a discusion of the problems facing Australia without going into complete denial and mega defensiveness

P) the lack of any proper advocacy for the poor and homeless and the shocking treatment of the unemployed and single parents

That's just for starters, I wouldn't want to go on and bore you would I with things like the price of everything and the thuggish union dolts. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by guest74886

You're a glass half empty kind of guy Endless. I would have looked on it like a good surf beach, decent park with free barbecues, rainforest, even free barbies at the top of mount misery. There's at least 4 things I wouldn't be able to do in the UK. Make the most of them.

Hell, yeah!

Well my parents have been here for 27 years and didn't make any lasting friends, that wasn't without trying. When I was younger mum used to volunteer at the school canteen etc to keep busy and meet people because she isn't one that likes to sit around all day. She always says to me people are just too busy with their own lives or have everything that they want that they just don't bother plus people aren't as friendly.

Not sure if it has changed in the last 15 years but if anything I would have thought it is even busier now.

I moved from Chesterfield, where I had grown up and had loads of friends, to Manchester when I'd finished my degree. Lived there for 8 years until we emigrated and didn't really make any good friends. Acquaintances and people I could go out for a pint and play squash with yes, but those friends you grow up with and experience things growing up can never be replaced, wherever you move to.

You're a glass half empty kind of guy Endless. I would have looked on it like a good surf beach, decent park with free barbecues, rainforest, even free barbies at the top of mount misery. There's at least 4 things I wouldn't be able to do in the UK. Make the most of them.

Are you tight Paul ...? You do like your free things ..!! Go spend some money

What are the main reasons for going back, how much time time have you got?

A) the dire politics and politicians

B) the endemic corruption at all levels of public life

C) the lack of some kind of history

D) the parochialism

E) the lack of ideas and some clear thinking

F) the lack of a an environmental thought in peoples heads

G) a thought in peoples heads other than how it will benefit me or what I can make out of it

H) the poor value for money of the majority of goods and services

I) being for ever told how fantastic Australia is at everything

J) the use of refugees as political pawns

K) the inherent racism in so much decision making by the State Govt's

L) the profligate and incompetent State Govts

M) the Australians denial of their racist past

N) the tragic and quite unnecessary exploitation of the Aborigines which still goes on today

O) a country which has 2 political parties of the same ilk to try and prove it's a democracy

P) that it's so far away from anywhere that isn't a tropical banana republic or dictatorship

Q) everywhere is the same as the place you just left whilst trying to find somewhere different

R) the inability of anyone able to have a discusion of the problems facing Australia without going into complete denial and mega defensiveness

P) the lack of any proper advocacy for the poor and homeless and the shocking treatment of the unemployed and single parents

That's just for starters, I wouldn't want to go on and bore you would I with things like the price of everything and the thuggish union dolts. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree with most however these are pretty common to most countries right.. Each country has their good and bad element.

Are you tight Paul ...? You do like your free things ..!! Go spend some money

I do like free things, you're right paul. Funny though you are usually the one moaning about the price of a pint and it being too expensive to go to places. I just get on with it, if I want to go to the Breakwater at Hillary's and have a few pints of $10 Guiness I do. I don't sit there complaining that it would only be costing me 3 and threepence in England. It just works out that a lot of the things I like to do are indeed free, a novel concept to a lot of people.

I do like free things, you're right paul. Funny though you are usually the one moaning about the price of a pint and it being too expensive to go to places. I just get on with it, if I want to go to the Breakwater at Hillary's and have a few pints of $10 Guiness I do. I don't sit there complaining that it would only be costing me 3 and threepence in England. It just works out that a lot of the things I like to do are indeed free, a novel concept to a lot of people.

That's because I couldn't think anything worse than going through life looking for free things to do, I like to spend money and yes I find WA a massive rip off, so I'm allowed to moan .!! Yer people earn more money but your spend every single cent of that extra coin because of cost