What are the main reasons you moved back?

jen85

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not gone yet but 100% going. My reasons are

- Fremantle and mandurah are the only places you can visit in 1 day.

- WA's very boring after you've been here a while and done the limited things you can do/see

- rubbish shops ( and I mean dreadful )

- isolated from everything and anything

- very expensive

- miss family

- a general feeling of not living in the current year

- hate not seeing people walk around the streets, all you see are cars driving

- no town feeling

to be honest I can list more..

This is the way I see things

Not gone as of yet but not sure what will happen in the future. However, we have been considering this for a bit now and think one reason for us would be under estimating the little things that we took for granted in the UK. Certain little things that may not have even been initially considered in all the excitement of move to Australia, but over time end up coming to the surface. Things that we may have done every day or every weekend and not even realize that you will miss them until they are not there.

Not gone yet but 100% going. My reasons are

- Fremantle and mandurah are the only places you can visit in 1 day.

- WA's very boring after you've been here a while and done the limited things you can do/see

- rubbish shops ( and I mean dreadful )

- isolated from everything and anything

- very expensive

- miss family

- a general feeling of not living in the current year

- hate not seeing people walk around the streets, all you see are cars driving

- no town feeling

to be honest I can list more..

This is the way I see things

Must say I agree with everything you have mentioned and I'm an aussie! Very interesting..

Not going till October but main reasons are definitely to be back with family and for my kids toi grow up with close relatives.

Another reason would be the uncertainity of your future...without work for even a small amount of time here could be disasterous to any savings you may have made.

Also the fact that you have to cater for very expensive holidays to the UK if you want to see family, then you have to do the goodbye's all over again.

Gotta add to this though we've had a great 2 years on the Goldcoast though but can't call it 'home'

ginger

Just had a phone call this morning to tell me that my Mum has fallen and broken both her ankles. Feel so useless being here. When something happens you are unable to be with the people you love.

Liz x

Oh yes totally agree with you. It was the same for us when we had the call from my mother that my father had passed away. It took us four days to get back to my mother. Previously that would have taken us 5 minutes. Times like this it makes you realize how far you are actually away and that when you need to get back it is going to take time.

Well, am here now and all the things I thought I valued in my life were, indeed, here for me:

sense of belonging

shared values and sense of humour

variety in all things

the fabulous countryside

so much going on

being able to support elderly parents and other relatives

weather that doesn't keep you inside all the time

Well, am here now and all the things I thought I valued in my life were, indeed, here for me:

sense of belonging

shared values and sense of humour

variety in all things

the fabulous countryside

so much going on

being able to support elderly parents and other relatives

weather that doesn't keep you inside all the time

Agree with all of this but main reason is work. While Australia is beautiful, it is very expensive and the casual nature of work availablr with poor holiday allocation even where you can find work is too frustrating

In my area of work (change management/IT) maturity levels are very low and there is much more emphasis on paper qualifications than experience.

The parochial nature of the Perth. It feels at times more like i am living in a giant nursing home

The expense of doing things

The lack of having anywhere easy to go. Cant just drive to another major city for a day out

The poor quality of everything from houses to clothes to food.

It was a while ago now but I suppose just as relevant. I always felt everything in Australia was temporary whether it be the houses or the friends or the buildings. We just missed the lifestyle here and couldnt get it in Australia. We missed the pubs, the people, the countryside, old friends and lots of other things. Its not to say Australia isnt a wonderful country but for us and clearly many others it isnt as wonderful as here.

We have considered going back but lots of things are putting us off not least of which is how expensive it has become.

I am an Aussie with an English partner who has been here in Australia for thirty years. Came as a 17 yr old and has never really settled lived in almost all states. Has always wanted to return however circumstances have never allowed it to be possible even now....elderly mother so we are waiting for it to be possible we'd go tomorrow if we could. Working towards it so maybe just maybe it will happen. It's amazing how happy he is when we've been over to his home as he calls it. I have to say i prefer it over there too have had a couple of longish stays there. We decided to make the move previously however i have Australian children and their father said no so stayed put all grown now so perhaps in the near future.

I notice a commin theme is perth is dull perth is isolated Perth is behind the times. I have never understood why so mant poms go go perth. Melbourne is a far better city for europeans imo. lots going on other cities in victoria to visit cheap flights etc

Nail on the head. But we went to Perth as my family live there and , dysfunctional as they are, I love 'em.

Quit the Perthbashing! It is what it is, an place of outstanding natural beauty with first world facilities, clean, well organised and awesome weather. Best suited to people who derive pleasure from the simple things in life, nature and time spent in gorgeous surroundings, in nice weather with friends and family. If you want a vibrant, buzzing city culture, dont come!! But if you just like popping into a very well set out and resourced city with a variety of bars, clubs, museums and theatres perths for you! Jeez i dont know what some people want in life! Each to their own. DO your research. If I went back it'd be for family and friends not to do with how rubbish perth was.

Or perhaps the people who love Perth are more in tune with themselves and nature and not constantly seeking stimulation of a man made nature? Perhaps those deeper thinkers find enough in Perth to satify than those who only see the surface and never scratch any deeper. Looking for shiny new things that sparkle but soon lose their shine....