Any Health Care Students

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah they open tomorrow so I'll get up early and make sure I don't make the same mistake as last year! I can apply for health access courses and access to nursing. Apparently the OT departments accept access to nursing aswell

I started on an access to nursing (changed to physical and natural sciences though, exact same course/modules just a different name!). I loved it, so much fun and I learnt a lot. I'm sure you will do brill on it. :-)

I started on an access to nursing (changed to physical and natural sciences though, exact same course/modules just a different name!). I loved it, so much fun and I learnt a lot. I'm sure you will do brill on it. :-)

Thanks. Glasgow uni said between the health access and the access to nursing the nursing one was more relevant to OT but they accept both. The health one is very much about science - chemistry, biology and physics. I def need biology but I don't know about the other two esp physics!

I just emailed nhs greater glasgow and Clyde to see if i can arrange a work experience placement. I already tried for lanarkshire not that long ago but for some reason she said they only did it for school kids. Someone else told me that's rubbish tho lol so I'll contact the hosp directly I think! X

You must be a smarty pants lol. I have no kids or responsibilities so I don't have any excuse not to study loads :laugh: There seems to be a lot of people who do it with kids, full time jobs etc. You should all be very proud! X

They should all be very proud,im full of admiration for them all,much more determination than me,quite a lot been through uni on here while juggling kids and careers

I have 3 kids in tow and between that and studying (in 3rd year now) I think I have developed Dementia. My memory and concentration is nothing compared to how it was 3 years ago!

Stacy, go for whatever makes you happy. Don't worry about the commute too much, my uni is round the corner but due to the bus routes its an hour each way. Its actually nice to have time on the bus to do some reading.

Good Luck

I have 3 kids in tow and between that and studying (in 3rd year now) I think I have developed Dementia. My memory and concentration is nothing compared to how it was 3 years ago!

Stacy, go for whatever makes you happy. Don't worry about the commute too much, my uni is round the corner but due to the bus routes its an hour each way. Its actually nice to have time on the bus to do some reading.

Good Luck

Thanks, you did yours at the OU didn't you? I was looking at the k101 again but I need the maths so may aswell do the full access course.

Hi

I am just about to apply to start my nursing journey. My husband and I have been talking about applying for visa through his trade however as that was still a bit ropey we have decided I can go and study for something I have wanted to do for absolutely ages but with a full time job, house and now two kids I didn't think it would be possible.

As far as I see it I get to train to do something I have wanted to do if we stay here good because I will be doing something meaningful and will be better off financially or we apply to Australia and get granted a visa....A win win situation I say ;-)

So I have just applied for the access to health course which is a fast track 1 year course over 2 evenings a week plus study time at home will be required which is to start in September. Then to apply to Keele uni end of this year for the sept 2015 academic year. In the meantime I am in the process of setting up volunteer work at a care home that my SIL works at as a nurse which does a lot of palative care which is what I am interested in doing. (That and midwifery but it's very competitive and being 28 with no prior experience and not a load of qualifications I am not sure I would be successful here) I should be starting at this care home Wednesday so will have 11 months experience when I submit my application and with the level 3 nvq and 4 gcse's o am hoping this will be enough for me to be accepted. Xx

Good Luck :) we were going with Hubby's qualifications too for the visa but the fees to study out there for nursing for a non citizen were extortionate and I didn't want to wait any longer so I'm doing my nursing and then we are going out there :)

I was 28 when I started at University, had already done a year's access course. I'm in my 2nd year now :) x

Good Luck :) we were going with Hubby's qualifications too for the visa but the fees to study out there for nursing for a non citizen were extortionate and I didn't want to wait any longer so I'm doing my nursing and then we are going out there :)

I was 28 when I started at University, had already done a year's access course. I'm in my 2nd year now :) x

Hi

Thanks for replying. May I ask so you did access course and then got accepted to uni from that? Reading some of the above I am slightly worried now that I should study some other subjects to bump up my A Level Count don't want to be rejected. ?

How are you finding it? Are you studying full time? My initial concerns are about the placement time within the degree itself because my husband does 12 hour days some days and can be out of the house from 6 am onwards and with childcare not kicking in until 7.30am it's going to be a bit of a logistical problem there isn't there. I wondered if during the placement they were a bit more flexible on shift times? It wouldn't be a problem after because my husband will go self employed and work for himself locally around my shifts we just got to get through the 3 year degree first. X

My husbands job is not flexible, he's in the Army lol he is away a lot and when he's not away his hours are random and we don't know what he's doing day to day. Placements have always been great with me. I did the access course because my alevels were too long ago and they wanted recent study. I am full time and 99% of the time I love it. I really have enjoyed it all so far. If I can help with anymore questions let me know will help if I can xx

Can I ask.. Do you learn about drips, drug calculations, injections etc straight away or is that nearer the end of your first year? X

We had a drugs calculation lecture and a drugs calculation workbook to do for one of our modules but that's it. You learn about Ivs but you can't connect them until you are a qualified nurse and have done another course, you do injections on your first placement or we did. I must have done hundreds now lol x

We had a drugs calculation lecture and a drugs calculation workbook to do for one of our modules but that's it. You learn about Ivs but you can't connect them until you are a qualified nurse and have done another course, you do injections on your first placement or we did. I must have done hundreds now lol x

The thought of drug calculations and iv's scare me lol. Think I'm definitely more suited to OT although your placements sound amazing! I don't mind the thought of giving injections.

My best friend did nursing but she never told me anything about it really, always kept everything really quiet lol other than moaning about one or two placements x

The thought of drug calculations and iv's scare me lol. Think I'm definitely more suited to OT although your placements sound amazing! I don't mind the thought of giving injections.

My best friend did nursing but she never told me anything about it really, always kept everything really quiet lol other than moaning about one or two placements x

They scare me too but I'm not as scared now as I was lol it's not as hard when you know how x

Ah well now that's made me feel a bit less anxious about it. I don't know how we were going to work around that but husband very supportive saying if it's what I want to do then we will work it out but with him being the main bread winner in the house he can't go S/E just yet. Speaking of which I have been vaguely informed something about bursieies? I don't know if that's what it's called but something I may be able to get for financial relief? X

Ah well now that's made me feel a bit less anxious about it. I don't know how we were going to work around that but husband very supportive saying if it's what I want to do then we will work it out but with him being the main bread winner in the house he can't go S/E just yet. Speaking of which I have been vaguely informed something about bursieies? I don't know if that's what it's called but something I may be able to get for financial relief? X

Hubby earns too much supposedly so we don't get any dependants allowance or childcare but I do get a bit of bursary and £1000 a year grant.as well as the loan which is £750ish every 4 months. I do pay about £700 a month childcare which comes out of hubbys wages and the little bit of bursary I get x

Husband earns 27k? I think we do get adult dependant and childcare for that so that's good because childcare is an absolute fortune isn't it.

So I kind of worked out we would be worse off with the above just because I won't be bringing anything into the house as I would of gone from a 3 working day week to studying full time.

Be great to keep in touch with you all through the degree and subsequent visa process ? x

Husband earns 27k? I think we do get adult dependant and childcare for that so that's good because childcare is an absolute fortune isn't it.

So I kind of worked out we would be worse off with the above just because I won't be bringing anything into the house as I would of gone from a 3 working day week to studying full time.

Be great to keep in touch with you all through the degree and subsequent visa process  x

Fingers crossed you will get a decent bursary :) my youngest goes to school in September so will be better off with childcare lol. Would be great to keep in touch xx