Any Health Care Students

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they are second year placements at our Uni (theatres etc) I had elderly care and Surgical orthopedics as my main 2 first year placements. We get A and E and Intensive care in the 3rd year lol. I really want to work in oncology so the cancer placement is amazing for me. Really looking forward to it xxx

Edited by Counting Stars

I have no idea lol. I know you get theatre nurses so I'm guessing we observe them and then when they feel we are competent they allow us to "help" them lol. Xx

So do they just hand instruments etc? I just wondered because I knew a separate person does the anaesthetic don't they. I think I met them when I had my op lol.

I had a quick google about it and the students were talking about the sounds of sawing off legs lol I don't know if I could cope with that! I'm Maybe better sticking with the therapy side of it lol

When I first started I thought I would want to end up doing theatre nursing (I already have a degree in Forensic Science and like the gory side of life!), but having had the chance to go a few times during surgical placements....it's not for me. I've actually turned full circle and now am all for Acute medical/ICU/A&E after an awesome placement in a busy medical admissions unit. I'm sure I'll change my mind a few times again though!

Yeah it's bugging how our hands are tied until we are closer to graduating/a year post-grad experience. I've already started looking at IELTS and will do the test later next year.

Where do you guys hope to end up in Australia? It's Adelaide for me :)

Has anyone done an elective placement in oz? Or heard of any happening in their current Oz workplace?

I know that it is a big ask, with there being very few clinical placements available on general. .but im seriously researching the option.

I would need police check, student registration with aphra, visa, etc etc...

A fantastic experience, it was in a rural day hospital, we really felt able to help as it is all so appreciated. Very sad at other times, don't think I've ever cried so much in a few weeks...the lack of equipment, hygiene, etc... Government corruption is so rife though, not much money spent on healthcare. Most equipment had been donated by MSF (Doctors Without Borders). Certainly made me appreciate the NHS!

Hi,

All havent been on here for months, hadn't had the time... I wrote on this thread last year that I was starting my road to nursing...I gave up my office job last September, to start work doing home help, to get care experience ready for my uni application. However this job didn't work out as the company were horrible, giving me ridiculous hours. I ended up having to put my access to nursing course on hold (with DLC) which is annoying as I would have had this finished by now. Anyhoo, I have started a new job working in a care village (it is a nursing home, residential home, rehab and respite) which is much better as its more involved than home care.

I have now restarted my access course which I should have finished by end of April. Because I had to put the course on hold I will now have to wait until next year to apply for uni, so in the meantime my employers will put me through my NVQ levels 2 & 3, so this should make my uni application more desirable (hopefully).

So im a wee bit behind most of you, but I feel im getting there and at least doing something about it rather than moaning about it.

I will get to oz by the time im 40 (fingers crossed, im 34 now).

Good luck everyone x

Edited by McFisher