Any Health Care Students

Well I am 2 months into my 3rd year and getting quite scared now about how close things are!

I start my 2nd to last placement in 4 weeks time and after that's finished I will be entering my final semester... I cannot believe how slow 1st year seemed to go and how the 2nd year just vanished before I had time to breathe.

Also the pressure is on now to start looking at paperwork and job opportunities as there is a chance we could be emigrating within 14 months. After waiting 5 years and 7 months so far it seems like the final few hurdles.

Hope everyone is ok and there plans are going well, let me reassure you that time flies once you hit your second year. I was pretty low in the 2nd year, I had a lot of family struggles too and it felt like I would never qualify BUT this 3rd year my spirits are high again, I am starting to study the material that I find interesting and challenging and I feel like the luckiest person alive to be in this situation. I still cant believe I am nearly a nurse.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Hey All,

Just to introduce myself... I'm a second year student nurse adult branch. I start third year in March.

Feeling pretty low at the moment. I have to work to pay a loan I had preuni and my boyfriend lives three hours away and is working a lot. The academics of the course are soul destroying when all you want to do it focus on patient care!

Anyway the plan is to get some postgrad experience and head out to Aus. My mind is all over the place at the moment - do I apply for post Grad here in Cardiff or near boyf? Do I then go down the PR route or take a punt on the 457? If that's the case I'm kinda restricted because boyfriend wants to be near family in QLD. And there is the realistic... Will we be even still be together in a years time? (I hope so but being realistic!!)

Late night rambling to get me through a shift.

Hey :) my husband could have also got a visa but we decided to stay to do my nursing and then apply for PR when I graduate. We feel its more secure as we have children. My husband is in the Army he works away a lot too, it is hard but it will be worth it. Hope you are feeling a bit better about things. It is hard but you have done so well and only just over a year left :) xxx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Just wondering if someone could clear something up for me.

I'm looking into graduate programmes which yes I know are very hard to come by) but am I bit confused about Queensland, which stipulates that the state will no sponsor overseas graduates for a visa.

Does this mean overseas students have to apply for a sponsor via a hospital that hosts the graduate programme?

Or do you have to be on another visa - ie with a partner who is sponsored?

Thanks,

Katie

Hi Katie, sorry I don't have the answer but do you know why you are heading towards the graduate program? I have been informed on numerous occasions that I wouldn't need a graduate program as we get lots of hands on experience during our practice. It has been hinted for me to get six months experience once I qualify but as they pointed out by the time I apply for a 189 visa six months would have probably passed anyhow and the graduate programs seem to start in Summer so you wouldn't be able to do it Aug/Sept when you qualify anyhow.

You would also be earning slightly less and would be doing rotations.

thanks for your replies both. i am just looking into all options and if we chose to go on the sponsored visa with my partner being main applicant i would not have any post grad experience... or very little, so the safety net would be nice. that is if we want go sooner and not wait for me t get experience. also,im march intake so could start in summer.

We don't know if we want to apply for PR straight off as we have no children so aren't as restricted in needing the stability, plus we may decide that aus is not where we wish to start a family in the future.

apologies for the poor typing... im on an ipad and keyboard is awful!!

Edited by dottykp

Hello! Im a second year student, adult branch in dundee. I spent two years in Aus and loved it, hoping to get back out there for good asap. It's coming close to the time where we need to choose our elective placement and I would love to go out to south aus or northern territory to do it. Its only for six weeks during my 3rd year but I really believe it will be excellent experience ahead of applying for visa. Im working on the nurse bank at the moment as HCA, and volunteer with a couple of first aid charities.

I have looked at all the visa options multiple times and am unsure which will be the best route to go down for me. I think I might go to an exponin February to try to get it all a bit clearer in my head.

Good luck to those currently in the process!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi jac2011, i'm Leon from Durham. Notice that you are a student mental health nurse and looking to move to Australia. I am also a mh student nurse and looking to move to Oz with my wife and 2 kids 2016. I've got a few queries about stuff so would be great to chat to you seen as we are on similar paths and you're slightly ahead!

I am officially a 2nd year now :) woohoo it's a good feeling lol. How did everyone find their second year? Lol xx

Second year??? What second year? I seemed to go from first to third - I don't actually remember what happened to 2nd year!!! You will go to sleep tonight and wake up and it will be 3rd year!

Hi jac2011, i'm Leon from Durham. Notice that you are a student mental health nurse and looking to move to Australia. I am also a mh student nurse and looking to move to Oz with my wife and 2 kids 2016. I've got a few queries about stuff so would be great to chat to you seen as we are on similar paths and you're slightly ahead!

Iv PM'd you! Feel free to ask away on here of via PM.

Hi I'm also a 2nd year student paediatric nurse and been wanting this move for years it's got to the point of obsession lol. This last 18 months have gone so quick so my sensible head tells me the rest will too but my impatient side just wants to be there now as it's all I've talked about for the last 6 years!! I'm married with three children daughter age 5 and twin boys just turned 3 so all will be at a good age when we go. We are looking at Adelaide as first choice though we did did think about Perth for a while due to more availability of jobs but the general cost of living and house prices has made us reconsider but who knows?? I'm am going to start visa application as soon as the three months is up as I expect by the time the visa is granted I've done my 12 month post grad experience. I'm in two minds which way I want to go , my heart is in neonates but I'm also thinking I would be better to get a general children's ward position if available once qualified so I do not limit my options for employment so soon? Nice to meet you all :)

Agree with the time-flying! I'm half way through my 2nd year of Adult Nursing, and its getting to the scary point now...not much more theory this year left to do and I'll soon be 3rd year. I do appreciate the time going quickly though.

Have any of you been to job expos, particularly 'down under live'... don't know if its too early for me to go this February, considering its still 18months til I graduate? I like to be prepared but there's only so much I can do just now?

I have been tempted by the job expo's however, like you say there isn't much we can do until we are qualified. I am in my 3rd year and I am still not going to go this year. By the time I factor in petrol and spends whilst I am there its just not worth it. Need every penny in the moving fund. There is so much info on this forum the only major benefit of the expo appears to be the employers and they aren't going to want to touch student nurses when there are so many qualified looking.

Good luck with your courses, I cant believe I qualify in 8 months time. It really has been worth it. The second year see's you facing some barriers emotionally however the 3rd year really does make all the difference. I am on a risky placement at the moment, where the staff are a minimum of a band 6 and it is dawning on me how much I have learnt, I really didn't think I would ever start to feel confidence but with each placement the confidence level just clicks.

Agree with the time-flying! I'm half way through my 2nd year of Adult Nursing, and its getting to the scary point now...not much more theory this year left to do and I'll soon be 3rd year. I do appreciate the time going quickly though.

Have any of you been to job expos, particularly 'down under live'... don't know if its too early for me to go this February, considering its still 18months til I graduate? I like to be prepared but there's only so much I can do just now?

Hi....

I found the 2nd year to really drag and the cohort morale was generally in a low mood, then all of a sudden the 3rd year crept up, I chose my elective and before I knew it I was in my first job interview!

I qualified in Sept 2013, started my first job the week after finishing my placement and can't believe I'm already nearly 4 months qualified !

I have waited 6+ years to get to get to this point and to start my visa process, I had planned on getting things in order once I had qualified but found I never had the time or was just totally shattered and here I am now !

My advice would be to get anything you need to start the process organised before you qualify, I've spent time reading up on certain things to do with certain conditions hence why I havent done anything yet..... Anyway, I now have annual leave and this weeek I am starting my anmac and ahpara applications and reading up for the IELTS test which I'll need the extra points for.

By the time I've sorted everything and hopefully gained more experience I'll be almost a years qualified and hopefully more employable! It's quite daunting when you put on that blue uniform and it made me realise it would be too early to move to another country as well as still learning my new responsibilities which are so so different than being a student.

Good luck everyone, believe me, it really will catch up with you before you know it.

Hello all, my name is Nicola and I'm in my first year at uni studying adult nursing, I'm 37 with a 2 year old daughter and I've wanted to go back to oz since I back packed there when I was 21. I'll be 39 when I qualify in the Sept but 40 in Nov! I'd hoped to be there for my 40th, but looking at the time scales it doesn't look possible.

anyway, I'm on this journey with you all, and wish us all well xx