Any Health Care Students

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had my elective placement confirmed! Heading to Broken Hill, NSW in July for 5 weeks! Yayyy!

Holy cow! That's incredible, well done! Please keep us up to date with how you get one. That is an incredible opportunity!

I've just started my 4th and final year and very excited if a little nervous. If everything goes to plan, I should be qualified in July. That's SCARY! :D

Hope everyone is well and the studying is going well.

If I'm completely honest, I've been finding it really hard to get motivated this term, which is not wonderful, but I am starting to get the buzz again which is a nice feeling.

Thought it was time to say goodbye to this thread, I am no longer a student :-)

I am sure you will all get there and I assure you the course seems to get faster the further down the line you go! Enjoy each and every minute as it sure is scary being a newly qualified, especially when I am on the only nurse on duty per shift. I am loving it though, I have to keep remembering I am not a student and I do not need to ask my preceptorship nurse to check everything I do! I got my NMC registration yesterday and I can now give out meds without supervision. It's all quite scary!

Keep going everyone, it's certainly worth powering through! All the hard and difficult assignments and shifts are worth it in the end!

• 2 months later...
Ah ok thanks, knew someone wanted the 3 months. Just trying to make rough plans when to do everything! Been practising for ielts, think that will have to be conquered after my last exams in june! alongside applying for jobs eeek!

Thanks again for the info!

I did IELTS in September before I got my pin (a week before)

I applied for the verification pack once I got my pin from NMC although forgot to put on the verification form that I needed them to forward it to AHPRA and ANMAC so had to pay twice (hint hint). So this was mid October. Though NMC are useless so check everything they promise.

Then I have just sent ANMAC their paperwork around a week after my 3 month period. I had my professional reference ready for my manager to sign.

Now we are looking a few steps ahead so getting our police check forms completed and form 80. Then hopefully when it comes to the visa application that will be the easy part.

Ah perfect thanks for that. Am I right in thinking it's mental health nursing you are qualified in? Was your employer ok doing a reference for you so quickly aftrr you starting a new job?

I constantly keep an eye on the job vacancies where I live. Going to start applying in May, as I will be away in Australia on my elective for six weeks in the summer, I'm hoping to have a job secured to come back to. There's quite a few fixed term contracts advertised in the healthboard I am in, not sure how they would feel about a graduate applying for these positions, but I would feel terrible asking for a reference so quickly! I guess it just has to be done though!

I did IELTS in September before I got my pin (a week before)

I applied for the verification pack once I got my pin from NMC although forgot to put on the verification form that I needed them to forward it to AHPRA and ANMAC so had to pay twice (hint hint). So this was mid October. Though NMC are useless so check everything they promise.

Then I have just sent ANMAC their paperwork around a week after my 3 month period. I had my professional reference ready for my manager to sign.

Now we are looking a few steps ahead so getting our police check forms completed and form 80. Then hopefully when it comes to the visa application that will be the easy part.

Hi jac2011, what is the verification pack and where do you get them? Was your employer alright about requesting the reference so early on? I officially finish Uni on 23rd jan and my paperwork will go straight to NMC. How long did your pin take to come through once you finished Uni? Sorry for all the questions.

Hi Bradburns, the NMC website has a section for nurses wanting to migrate abroad. Off the top of my head you email vertifications@nmc.co.uk or something similar. You ask them to send you the pack (which they didn't do the first time I asked) and then fill it in. They wont allow you to do this though until you have a pin number. My pin we were told would take around 10 days however the uni never mentioned that they only started checking our documents the day after our course finished so whilst I thought my documents were heading to nmc uni were only just checking them and noticed that something was missing... In fact they found 1/3 or so of our cohorts was missing and caused such a problem. It eventually got sorted and I got my pin on the 16th October. My official last day of my course was the 21st September but even now my uni messed up. NMC qualify you from the day after you qualify, however uni sent the wrong date so my pin states I was qualified from the 26th. I tell you, nothing is easy and there are so many people willing to mess up your paperwork. Double check everything.

I was dreading asking my employer but they were ok, I reassured them that I was there till next September so that helped. I wanted to make sure I got a year in the UK experience to help with jobs.

• 8 months later...

Hello guys, long time no posting.

I got back from Australia last week after completing my elective placement in Broken Hill. Had the BEST time. Arrived in Adelaide for a few days before flying up, and I swear I was walking around like a Cheshire cat...huge grin on my face. Adelaide just feels like home. :)

Anyway, I wrote a little blog for my university (part of the agreement as they gave me a scholarship) and thought it may help others, or some of you may want a little nosey.

kylie blog.pdf

kylie blog.pdf

• 1 month later...