Any Health Care Students

I think one of my problems is my age, im 34 already, so will be nearly 40 by the time i can start the ball rolling to apply to Oz. Does anyone on here think that will be a problem? x

Not at all.. I qualify in 8 weeks (:shocked:) and I am 43... To gain those extra important VISA points we'll need to get everything in motion by the time im 45 but again have until the age of 50 to appply for a VISA, it just makes it more difficult getting the visa points.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think age will be a problem at 40 ish! Most the nurses I work with are around that, whilst its easy to do nursing whilst you are young (no kids and other commitments etc) I am glad I did the course at 30, I am much more prepared for the emotional side of the course with the life experience I have.

Also HCA bank shifts I am afraid wont count, its hours as being a qualified nurse. As the role is completely different.

I can see arguments for and against the one year caring as a HCA, however I think there are so many hoops for people to jump to in order to become a nurse it would put a lot of people off. I do however, feel the schools of nursing should stop letting people get through the course so easily. There are people on my course who are absolutely terrible on placement and they just get signed off. The uni's want the funding for the students and people get chance and chance again to carry on.

I know I couldn't have afforded a year as a HCA yet I hope I am one of the most caring and passionate people on the course.

Good luck to everyone who is applying, its such a rewarding career choice. I come home giddy at night as I love my job so much. There are so many people that need our input no matter how minimal we think that contact is (going for a coffee, going for a walk etc).

Enjoy.

I know I couldn't have afforded a year as a HCA yet I hope I am one of the most caring and passionate people on the course.

I couldn't of either, I get very little bursary and no help with childcare costs which are well over £500 a month for just one of my kids, factor in the others after school clubs, holiday club etc the fact hubby is away with his job a lot and I would have had to cover that childcare too and I would have had no chance! xxx

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and I'm a student nurse. Still just a baby really, I started in March 13 and I'm just going out to my second hospital placement on monday (terrified lol). I was pretty lucky really -- make that extremely lucky -- this time last year I was in a dead end job and really feeling low. I couldn't see any way out of the situation but a friend of mine at work was training to be a nurse and she encouraged me, even wrote my reference for me. I applied to five universities, got knocked back straight away from one as they said the course was full already, got two interviews and earned my place at one of them in December. Ironically it's the same university that my friend is studying at too.

There are days where I love it and days where I'm terrified I'm going to do something wrong. I know the confidence will come in time. Every time I panic I think back over this year and realise just how dang privileged and lucky I've been.

Good luck with your placement on Monday, I had a baby in September 12 and took a year out of nursing going into 4th year and final year in Ireland and hoping to go to oz once I get my papers next October, I already have my visa so just have to get my registration in order has anyone applied for the graduate program in Australia I was hoping to gain my experience in oz as there's no hope of getting any in Ireland

Good luck with your placement. Can i ask, were you in a caring type job before, when you say you were in a dead end job? did already have the necessary qualifications in order to get in to uni?

I am doing an access course at the moment. and i'm thinking of leaving my office job to become a home help, in order to get the experience needed for uni also. It will mean a big drop in salary though, thats the only thing holding me back.

Hi McFisher. Thanks for the good luck! My dead end job was a part time cleaner job. There was no way to progress upwards and I could easily have been doing the exact same thing there ten years later. I had the qualifications necessary to get into Uni as I'd got a biology degree before and had some experience with working on wards. It's a really tricky thing getting that experience beforehand isn't it! I know what you mean about the money drop. Good luck in it!!

Good luck with your placement. Can i ask, were you in a caring type job before, when you say you were in a dead end job? did already have the necessary qualifications in order to get in to uni?

I am doing an access course at the moment. and i'm thinking of leaving my office job to become a home help, in order to get the experience needed for uni also. It will mean a big drop in salary though, thats the only thing holding me back.

I continued to work full time as well as do the access course AND some voluntary work in a care home so I dont think you really need to give up your day job, devote so many hours a week, it all contributes to experience. I am about to qualify in 6 weeks time (eek) and I have still maintained my office job of approx 25 hours a week even when on placement as well as looking after the family home and 2 teenagers and do all my uni work and managed to get a degree.... Its tough going believe me, but going to Uni does NOT pay for your mortgage or pay for the food so some of us have to do hard slog, we got no financial bursaries as we did not qualify so you really have to consider the financial impact on YOU ALL (If you are in a family/mortgage etc). The day I qualify and I have no 2nd job, no assignments and portfolio competencies to write will be pure heaven... I can sit down with a stiff drink, pay myself on the back and say 'ya did it girl'....

I continued to work full time as well as do the access course AND some voluntary work in a care home so I dont think you really need to give up your day job, devote so many hours a week, it all contributes to experience. I am about to qualify in 6 weeks time (eek) and I have still maintained my office job of approx 25 hours a week even when on placement as well as looking after the family home and 2 teenagers and do all my uni work and managed to get a degree.... Its tough going believe me, but going to Uni does NOT pay for your mortgage or pay for the food so some of us have to do hard slog, we got no financial bursaries as we did not qualify so you really have to consider the financial impact on YOU ALL (If you are in a family/mortgage etc). The day I qualify and I have no 2nd job, no assignments and portfolio competencies to write will be pure heaven... I can sit down with a stiff drink, pay myself on the back and say 'ya did it girl'....

Wow i dont know how you do all that, its amazing. You definitely deserve that drink!

Cherries002 - You will definitely deserve that drink or few when you are done - you must be so proud of yourself. Goes to show with a bit of hard work you can do anything.

Well, i have an interview on Friday to be a home carer, the pay is only around £200 less a month, which for me isnt that bad, plus i could make it up in overtime once i get going - if i get the job of course. The job im in have kind of pushed me to this sooner than i was intending, i really do not like it here, have been here 7 years and cannot begin to imagine being her for another 18 months until i start uni. If i get this job they will put me on various courses which will look fab on my cv for uni...I just want to make sure that when it comes to selection i will be looked upon favourably, i dont want to go through all this work and planning for it to go wrong...just giving myself the best chance.

Sorry I'm not but good luck! X

Just wanted to say good luck to all of you. I'm currently half way through my second year and its hard going but will be sooooo worth it when qualified. I'm sure I'll be picking your brains when I'm closer to qualifying! Have any of you been to the Australia skills expo's? If so what did the potential Aussie sponsors say is needed to get the nursing jobs? X

WellI had my interview on Friday, and I then got a letter yesterday telling me that I have got the job!! Not sure when I start or when I can hand my notice in (this bit is scary as I have been there 7 years and is only a small company, it wont be received well, they see anything like this as a slight on them), I think I will need to wait for CRB check to come back.

So i'm a wee step closer to realising my dream, i'm doing the course and now getting the experience...I just need to knuckle down now. x

• 1 month later...

hi , care experience prior to student nursing is so valuable and i think should be compulsory . Im 2 yrs qualified nurse , but during my training as student i worked as a health care assistant in my local hospital and learnt all the basics so your few steps ahead of everyone else who hasnt. it also allowed me to get to know nurses/ managers in different areas of the hospital - so good for networking! most hospitals have a staff bank pool , where you can pick up shifts as and when suits you , so really helped when needing to fit shifts ariund uni and placements. Before all that i worked in a care home for 2 yrs and did an access course too. i think it really helps to try and get as much experience as you can - to ensure this career is what you really want! good luck!

WellI had my interview on Friday, and I then got a letter yesterday telling me that I have got the job!! Not sure when I start or when I can hand my notice in (this bit is scary as I have been there 7 years and is only a small company, it wont be received well, they see anything like this as a slight on them), I think I will need to wait for CRB check to come back.

So i'm a wee step closer to realising my dream, i'm doing the course and now getting the experience...I just need to knuckle down now. x

Well done!! Sorry didn't reply before have been on holiday. That's great news Xx

• 1 month later...

Hi! Im a third year adult nursing student at Nottingham University, cant wait to finish now! Been checking out down under live etc each year to keep an eye on visa changes etc, so once ive got a bit of post qualification experience me and the hubby are over to Oz (hopefully!) Be nice to keep in touch, good luck to everyone! :)

Oh and I did a distance learning access to nursing with the distance learning centre and was a /Nursing auxillary/care assistant before I started, so please if anyone has any questions then Im happy to help :)

Did you enjoy the course? I'm thinking of paying for it this week but I'm just a bit scared! Not sure I'm capable of it

when i started with dlc i had left education many years before, i didnt actually finish school! so it took a while to get into the swing of essays and things but it got easier and i did well. there are loads of great resources out there, my tip is to plan everything and get into a study routine x

That's good to hear. I think its the idea of independant study that scares me a bit after being out of it for so long but I've wasted so much time already waiting on other courses etc so really should make a decision one way or another soon! Just have to be certain since I'll be paying for it rather than a bursary. Most people who have done it seem to have good reviews of it though x

• 4 weeks later...