Trip Report, Gold Coast! Here at last!

Tulip

I'm afraid this isn't a very in depth report as I've only just arrived, but, I have a few spare moments whilst hubby is on the phone to t't bank!

We flew out on the 1st at 10am. Wasn't prepared at all for my mum crying, she's the Iron Lady and I've seen her cry about three times before in my entire life, so this really unsettled me. I gave her a cuddle and we went on our way. We flew from Gatwick, terminal N, with Emirates. The flight was PACKED, not a single spare seat to be had, and the plane was a 777-300. Good entertainment screens, plenty of legroom, the seats were wide enough, and the service...totally impeccable. We flew to Dubai and had a five hour wait till our fight to Singapore. Dubai airport was beautiful! And free wifi, woo hoo. Anyway, our flight was a bit delayed taking off, but we were on the 777-300ER which was so much nicer than the first plane, really really immaculate and great entertainment with huge screens and USB ports too so hubby could charge his iPod touch. Anyway, hubby and I looked to each other in glee; six hour flight, great seats with great movies to be watched, and we'd just had the best meal too. Well. We did not feel glee six hours later when exhaustion caught up with us and I very nearly passed out, only the plane landing brought me back to myself! That too was delayed as there was a thunder storm in Singapore. Anyway, at Singapore we got off and then reboarded within the hour, this time I was having none of it and this is the best advice I can give to those who want to sleep on a plane; commit yourself to it. Don't listen to music, or a movie, or anything; put your blanket on and recline your chair and ignore everything else. This was the only way I scraped two hours kip, and because I didn't sleep the night before we flew, it was going on 36 hours without sleep. The meals on the plane were awesome, and I truly mean that. The food was mostly Asian, but what was funny was the way they were punctuated every few hours with very British snacks such as scones and sandwiches! Lots of drinks too and like I said, the service of the cabin crew was above and beyond. They were friendly, approachable, and did their best to make you comfortable. I would just warn to make sure you walk about every hour on the plane and drink lots o water; I didn't, I did a few feet exercises and drank Mango juice. MY FEET ARE NOW CANKLES! My calves and ankles swelled up so much that my loose shoes were tight and it was very uncomfortable, they're still huge now actually, I look like someone stuck the forty ton man's lower half to my top half.

We landed about two hours late at about 12am and cleared imigration in record time. I was dreading customs as I'm here on a tourist visa waiting to fly to NZ for my partner one, and worried it would make things difficult. I had chocolate, some wooden stuff, and some Burts Bees hand stuff which was made using beeswax. Declared it all and went through where a lady was waiting, she took my card and said 'Is this everyhting you have?' and then stamped it! We went through the quick zone with no troubles, didn't even have to open our suitcases. Got home at about half one in the morning, stayed up for about an hour and unpacked a little, and then finally went to sleep at about half two. I woke up at about half six in the morning and opened the blinds to watch the birds. Bliss. Had breakkie on the veranda and the sunshine was so warm! I felt so complete, though.

Anyway, after that we went out with hubby's sister to get his drivers licence, and then to Westie to sort out a bank transfer gone wrong, and got a few bits and bobs from Coles. That was a shock, $4.50 for a bag of apples! Then I remembered that it wasn't in pounds, and that I was determined not to be a whinging pommie about the price of stuff out here, so I bought my ENGISH MUFFINS and a few other bits and went on my way. ;)

BBQ tonight, I can hear the cockatoos screetching, very happy indeed. :)

Brill report made me realise my OH would be like you were I can sleep almost anywhere lol where he'll not sleep at all on any flights or be lucky if he got an hr... I'm going show him this hopefully he'll realise when we go Oz he'll have to try harder, never mind watching all films x

Hi everyone.

Sorry I've been quiet! It's been a bit busy here and my head is still reeling a bit.

Well, first I will say, I had expected Australia to be much more expensive. Going by certain people's reports of it on here, anyway. I've been pleasantly surprised so far though, and yes some things are more expensive but there are some things far cheaper too so it's much like the UK really.

The weather has been gorgeous in the Gold Coast and we've been doing things to keep ourselves amused. Unfortunately my sleep pattern has become a bit warbled, and I have been shattered by 7pm so gone to bed, then get up at 6am. Not ideal but tonight I am determined to stay awake!

My beautiful little dog is still in quarantine and I am desperate to have her back, 15 days to go until we pick her up. I finally found a pet shop that DOESN'T sell puppies which was grand as I was worried about where I was going to spoil my dog. They also sell raw food which is a plus as after we've settled her in she'll be switched to a raw diet as her ears are quite sensitive to a kibble ingredient, not sure which!

Food here is stupendous. The food markets hold so much more variety than the UK which is great, and the meats are much cheaper. I've lost a little weight since arriving which is fab too. What has really surprised me is how much fatter people are here than the UK. I really thought hte UK was a FAT country but here people are quite lardy. Don't get me wrong, I am also lardy, but I was used to being the only lardy one in the queue at the check out. I'm surprised because the food here is much LESS 'ready' than the UK. No ready meals to be seen in the fresh sections, no sandwiches (well a few but only at Coles), meals must be made from scratch which I do anyway. So I'm wondering why people here are fatter. I'm supposing all of the fast food outlets, and most open 24/7, are the culprit. Sad to see all the same because the weather here is so much nicer, we've been out doing stuff a lot since we arrived, just walking around places is lovely. I guess I'm still in novelty mode though!

Popped into ANZ to set up a bank account, that took all of ten minutes, fab. Still have a few things to do for the dog but other than that we are peachy. I did get a bit homesick last night though, but I think that's more because this is the first time I've moved out of home and it's all so unfamiliar.

Will update again soon, when my furbaby arrives!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hi everyone.

Sorry I've been quiet! It's been a bit busy here and my head is still reeling a bit.

Well, first I will say, I had expected Australia to be much more expensive. Going by certain people's reports of it on here, anyway. I've been pleasantly surprised so far though, and yes some things are more expensive but there are some things far cheaper too so it's much like the UK really.

The weather has been gorgeous in the Gold Coast and we've been doing things to keep ourselves amused. Unfortunately my sleep pattern has become a bit warbled, and I have been shattered by 7pm so gone to bed, then get up at 6am. Not ideal but tonight I am determined to stay awake!

My beautiful little dog is still in quarantine and I am desperate to have her back, 15 days to go until we pick her up. I finally found a pet shop that DOESN'T sell puppies which was grand as I was worried about where I was going to spoil my dog. They also sell raw food which is a plus as after we've settled her in she'll be switched to a raw diet as her ears are quite sensitive to a kibble ingredient, not sure which!

Food here is stupendous. The food markets hold so much more variety than the UK which is great, and the meats are much cheaper. I've lost a little weight since arriving which is fab too. What has really surprised me is how much fatter people are here than the UK. I really thought hte UK was a FAT country but here people are quite lardy. Don't get me wrong, I am also lardy, but I was used to being the only lardy one in the queue at the check out. I'm surprised because the food here is much LESS 'ready' than the UK. No ready meals to be seen in the fresh sections, no sandwiches (well a few but only at Coles), meals must be made from scratch which I do anyway. So I'm wondering why people here are fatter. I'm supposing all of the fast food outlets, and most open 24/7, are the culprit. Sad to see all the same because the weather here is so much nicer, we've been out doing stuff a lot since we arrived, just walking around places is lovely. I guess I'm still in novelty mode though!

Popped into ANZ to set up a bank account, that took all of ten minutes, fab. Still have a few things to do for the dog but other than that we are peachy. I did get a bit homesick last night though, but I think that's more because this is the first time I've moved out of home and it's all so unfamiliar.

Will update again soon, when my furbaby arrives!

We found the cost of living very similar as well, I think those who live in one country and travel to another and calculate the costs of things have a truer view on costs. Those that live in a country whether it be the UK or Australia just see prices going up and up and don't realise it's the same in either country.

We loved Brisbane, the beaches were incredible, the scenery, the weather, the lifestyle, it was amazing.

Oh Hon, really glad you arrived safely, albeit tired out. Very glad that you are getting things sorted and enjoying yourselves. I hope Maisy is doing OK, have you heard from the quarantine station about how she is doing? Not long now and she will be home again.

Enjoying your updates. Take Care Lorraine x

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all.

Well we've been here for nearly a month now and it's been incredible. We've been all over the place on the Gold Coast, beautiful weather, I know it's cold for the locals but the 24 heat has been lovely and mild for me! Not hot but warm and easy transition to the climate.

No spiders seen so far, even with the cat flap open all day long, so happy news there too. I pick up my little dog in a few days and I am so excited! I can't wait to have her here. We went to The Spit today, which is a beautiful dog walking beach, it was stunning and the sand so white, I felt so happy that I almost cried. I still feel like I hit a jackpot moving here. My spouse visa should come through soon and I'll be off to NZ to validate it. When I do I will breath a sigh of relief!

Money-wise, it is much cheaper to do a free day out I think. Petrol is cheaper and there are many places you can walk and visit, but, I'm quite into nature so people who aren't may not agree. If you have a bigger budget than me, you will be spoilt for choice, as there are a lot of places to see and visit.

IKEA was a very pleasant visit, $1 hot dog at the end too, result. We got some lovely white sheet set for $70, very good I thought as it's a good quality set, we also got a laundry bin for $15, some throw cushions for $10 each, and a few other bits and bobs very cheaply. My little dog has a new crate, only $45 on ebay (new) and free courier, which arrived the next day early in the morning, very impressed with that. I got a pillow from IKEA for $5 and popped that in along with a nice cushion (it's technically an outdoor chair cushion but it's very comfy and looks very nice) I got in Harbour Town in the sales for $10. Got her flea pills for $61 off the internet, cheaper than the $75 in the shops, and I even managed to fulfill a project for her bed! Restored a vintage suitcase which I got for $25 off Gumtree!

Food has been lush here, Asian bakeries are my new favourite past time! However, I have lost a fair bit of weight, I think because I no longer watch telly at all so don't stuff my face whilst watching it. Plus we are out and about every day and walking on the beach knackers you through soft sand! It feels great to be fitter, and even better, my skin has cleared up beautifully from all the sunshine I've been getting. I think the biggest change has been how much more relaxed I feel, but, my stress could have been caused from moving here in the first place!

Ta-ra for now, will update again soon.

p.s. I couldn't find Robinsons in the supermarkets here, and it really got on my wick. I know how that family felt now.

Tulip,

These updates are great and just what I need as we move to the gold coast next wednesday, 31st.

The past few days have been an incredible emotional roller coaster. I have days where i cant wait to go and get stuck in and then hours later I am thinking "what the hell are we doing"...only natural I guess and will have many more over the next week.

I am moving with my wife and 2 boys, (3 and 1)

We lived on the GC previously in 2008 for a year so know what to expect and we cant wait to share the outdoorsy life with our 2 boys. My only concern with the whole move (aside of missing family) is getting jobs, my wife is a midwife and has been in touch with a few hospitals so fingers crossed there....watch this space I guess.

Next time you are at the spit check out fishermans wharf, great seafood there and cold beer whilst admiring the boats in the marina.

Where are you living on the gold coast and how did u find it to get a rental home?

Keep the updates coming and if you fancy meeting up let me know!

Dan

• 3 months later...
Hello all.

Well we've been here for nearly a month now and it's been incredible. We've been all over the place on the Gold Coast, beautiful weather, I know it's cold for the locals but the 24 heat has been lovely and mild for me! Not hot but warm and easy transition to the climate.

No spiders seen so far, even with the cat flap open all day long, so happy news there too. I pick up my little dog in a few days and I am so excited! I can't wait to have her here. We went to The Spit today, which is a beautiful dog walking beach, it was stunning and the sand so white, I felt so happy that I almost cried. I still feel like I hit a jackpot moving here. My spouse visa should come through soon and I'll be off to NZ to validate it. When I do I will breath a sigh of relief!

Money-wise, it is much cheaper to do a free day out I think. Petrol is cheaper and there are many places you can walk and visit, but, I'm quite into nature so people who aren't may not agree. If you have a bigger budget than me, you will be spoilt for choice, as there are a lot of places to see and visit.

IKEA was a very pleasant visit, $1 hot dog at the end too, result. We got some lovely white sheet set for $70, very good I thought as it's a good quality set, we also got a laundry bin for $15, some throw cushions for $10 each, and a few other bits and bobs very cheaply. My little dog has a new crate, only $45 on ebay (new) and free courier, which arrived the next day early in the morning, very impressed with that. I got a pillow from IKEA for $5 and popped that in along with a nice cushion (it's technically an outdoor chair cushion but it's very comfy and looks very nice) I got in Harbour Town in the sales for $10. Got her flea pills for $61 off the internet, cheaper than the $75 in the shops, and I even managed to fulfill a project for her bed! Restored a vintage suitcase which I got for $25 off Gumtree!

Food has been lush here, Asian bakeries are my new favourite past time! However, I have lost a fair bit of weight, I think because I no longer watch telly at all so don't stuff my face whilst watching it. Plus we are out and about every day and walking on the beach knackers you through soft sand! It feels great to be fitter, and even better, my skin has cleared up beautifully from all the sunshine I've been getting. I think the biggest change has been how much more relaxed I feel, but, my stress could have been caused from moving here in the first place!

Ta-ra for now, will update again soon.

p.s. I couldn't find Robinsons in the supermarkets here, and it really got on my wick. I know how that family felt now.

Just wondered how you were getting on now ? Great post :)