Any think they made a big mistake moving back?

Guest Guest 47403

There is a lot of revenue raising going on in Australia over speeding etc. Even on totally empty roads you can get done for being 5kph over. Ridiculous- but that is why people drive so slowly- we have all learnt the hard way and are sick of fines and demerit points. At the same time, tailgaters go scot free, no one pulls them up.

Theres actually a ZERO tolerance in WA now, that means if you are 1km over then they will ping you! No allowance for your speedo to be out so you have to be extra careful.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guest22466
Theres actually a ZERO tolerance in WA now, that means if you are 1km over then they will ping you! No allowance for your speedo to be out so you have to be extra careful.

Thats just over the top really it is....get the drunks and the druggies off the road first :-)

Wow! Just as well most speedos underestimate speed I guess. My husband came back from his last holiday with a ticket in Victoria - idiot! I dont think he would have been much over the limit as he tends not to be lead footed. On the driving front - having driven extensively in Aus and UK, there is far more courtesy on the UK roads than Aus. Sometimes I feel really guilty because my Aus habits have meant I havent let someone into the traffic when perhaps I should have though generally I am quite good about it.

At this moment I dont think I made a mistake returning - it's been the best thing I have done with my life for years - almost a new lease of life as they say and though I will be pingponging at some stage I sincerely hope it is not for years yet by which time I might be vaguely positive about a return (I do get itchy feet after a few years and Canestan doesnt help LOL)

Guest guest22466
Wow! Just as well most speedos underestimate speed I guess. My husband came back from his last holiday with a ticket in Victoria - idiot! I dont think he would have been much over the limit as he tends not to be lead footed. On the driving front - having driven extensively in Aus and UK, there is far more courtesy on the UK roads than Aus. Sometimes I feel really guilty because my Aus habits have meant I havent let someone into the traffic when perhaps I should have though generally I am quite good about it.

At this moment I dont think I made a mistake returning - it's been the best thing I have done with my life for years - almost a new lease of life as they say and though I will be pingponging at some stage I sincerely hope it is not for years yet by which time I might be vaguely positive about a return (I do get itchy feet after a few years and Canestan doesnt help LOL)

Quoll is the UK what you expected to be on your longer return ? It sounds to me like your loving it but do you think it is where you want to be forever? How have you found the people, weather and places of interest?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I have to disagree with the traffic. I regularly drive across Europe and drove in Sydney and drive in the UK every day.

UK traffic is worst compare to the others. That's my experience :)

That was my experience when I was driving over there, I drove several thousand kilometres and thought it was really easy, a lot less traffic, I especially liked the undertaking on the motorways system, not having some idiot up yer backside trying to force you to move over was great. The traffic in the cities was busy, but no different to Leeds, or Manchester, but ...... I was only there two months and I have been told you have to live there to experience it properly.

That was my experience when I was driving over there, I drove several thousand kilometres and thought it was really easy, a lot less traffic, I especially liked the undertaking on the motorways system, not having some idiot up yer backside trying to force you to move over was great. The traffic in the cities was busy, but no different to Leeds, or Manchester, but ...... I was only there two months and I have been told you have to live there to experience it properly.

Ah, very good, I see what you did there Jim!. One in the eye for all of us 'been there and hated it' types. On a serious note, is there anything about Australia that irks you or do you think you'll just love it in it's entirety when you make the big move?

Quoll is the UK what you expected to be on your longer return ? It sounds to me like your loving it but do you think it is where you want to be forever? How have you found the people, weather and places of interest?

Goodness, no, it's even better! I thought the holiday gloss would wear off and, given the difficult situation we are living in, I thought I'd have spat the dummy and done something stupid by now but we potter on. Today I met a girl from Adelaide and we were discussing our feelings about Aus (she is desperate to stay) and her comment was that there is so much more to do here and she is well engaged with people with like interests here whereas, Adelaide, much much bigger than Cambridge, had nothing she wanted. Same for me - it's buzzing!!!

I don't do "forever" I find it a bit crippling - like when I was facing a "forever" in Aus but a long term future in UK? That would be ideal - not necessarily Cambridge though, much as I love it. I know I will have to return to Aus at some stage and no longer have a visceral response at the thought but I'm a long way from actually looking forward to it. Meanwhile, live in the moment - you never know!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Ah, very good, I see what you did there Jim!. One in the eye for all of us 'been there and hated it' types. On a serious note, is there anything about Australia that irks you or do you think you'll just love it in it's entirety when you make the big move?

Is there anything that you like about Australia, hating somewhere, your words not mine must be a terrible burden to carry around with you, you seeriously you need to lighten up, we are at the two ends of the emotional well being spectrum, me I'm really happy, you on the other hand are thoroughly miserable, I know which I think is better and it isn't where your at.

Is there anything that you like about Australia, hating somewhere, your words not mine must be a terrible burden to carry around with you, you seeriously you need to lighten up, we are at the two ends of the emotional well being spectrum, me I'm really happy, you on the other hand are thoroughly miserable, I know which I think is better and it isn't where your at.

I love the fact that my missus and our little one are happy here, but it's not for me, no. You shouldn't think Jim that those of us who don't like living here are miserable all of the time. Most of us just get by, just like those who don't like the UK just get by. You learn to live with it in time and let's face it, you need a pretty good sense of humour to get by in Australia!. So to return to my original question, posed before you started making assumptions about me, is there anything at all about Australia that you think you'll find disappointing or will it be plain sailing for you and your family?

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I love the fact that my missus and our little one are happy here, but it's not for me, no. You shouldn't think Jim that those of us who don't like living here are miserable all of the time. Most of us just get by, just like those who don't like the UK just get by. You learn to live with it in time and let's face it, you need a pretty good sense of humour to get by in Australia!. So to return to my original question, posed before you started making assumptions about me, is there anything at all about Australia that you think you'll find disappointing or will it be plain sailing for you and your family?

I tried sailing once but I got sea sick easily, so that's one thing I wouldn't like for sure, okey cokey, lol

I tried sailing once but I got sea sick easily, so that's one thing I wouldn't like for sure, okey cokey, lol

Not sure I understand what you mean there, but it sounds like you're pretty confident that it'll all work out for you as a family. I wish you every success when the time comes.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Not sure I understand what you mean there, but it sounds like you're pretty confident that it'll all work out for you as a family. I wish you every success when the time comes.

The thing is mate, I don't mind you, you seem a nice guy, but there's not much I dislike about the UK TBH, the weather obviously, but after that not much. I don't like how each government has treat the people and I will moan about things associated to that, but there's so many great things here, London and what it has to offer, the countryside, the people in general, the ease of getting everywhere, the closeness of shops, resteraunts and entertainment, etc etc. I don't honestly think I will get to Oz, but it isn't because I don't want to, but like you, I will go where my wife is and my kids, I will be gutted, but that's life. But also I will try and get the best out of my life and be positive, upwards and onwards is my philosophy, just how anyone hates either country is a strange concept to me, but we are all different. I hope you find some inner peace.

Alright EW,sorry you feel like yer do mate,i knew you werent fussed on Aus,didnt realise how much tho,cant be easy for yer,hope it all works out in the end,as you say,family are all important,i admire your personal sacrifice for them

I'll miss family obviously,and mates ive had since infant school

Things that i wouldnt find as good as home? are probably......the craic in town,the smallness of the city centre,how i can walk from one side of town to the other in minutes,so many pubs to choose from,poncey new ones,or the likes of the Beehive,The Globe,Coopers,The Hanover,The Richmond,Mathew st(my type of pubs) ,the list is endless

The fact i always bump into people i know if i want to mooch off to town for a beer on my own,if i dont know them i know their faces,because its a small city.

I "might" miss the directness/forwardness of my fellow Scousers,they "are" nose diseases arent they!:laugh:,but i dont know if S.A would be the same in that regard.

I'll miss watching the footy at a normal time,i'll miss the light nights,i'll miss more or less always being within walking distance of Shops,Chippys,etc etc,because even in the burbs here we usually have all that fairly near

So,for me,i know there would be a lot i'd miss,the above is just off the top of my head,there will be more

I dont believe in utopia,i guess we're all fairly cynical like that as a city tho tbh

So i'd miss loads mate,obviously i would be hoping for pro's in Aus to make up for these things,one day i might find out,we'll see

The thing is mate, I don't mind you, you seem a nice guy, but there's not much I dislike about the UK TBH, the weather obviously, but after that not much. I don't like how each government has treat the people and I will moan about things associated to that, but there's so many great things here, London and what it has to offer, the countryside, the people in general, the ease of getting everywhere, the closeness of shops, resteraunts and entertainment, etc etc. I don't honestly think I will get to Oz, but it isn't because I don't want to, but like you, I will go where my wife is and my kids, I will be gutted, but that's life. But also I will try and get the best out of my life and be positive, upwards and onwards is my philosophy, just how anyone hates either country is a strange concept to me, but we are all different. I hope you find some inner peace.

Its a shame that you think you won't get to have a go at living here Jim. I think that if you love hot weather and the kind of activities that people get up to over here then you and family could have a great life here. TBH I'm a bit tongue in cheek when I describe myself as an 'Oz-hater' nowadays. I certainly did hate it for the first couple of years and there are still times when it gets on my wick, but generally I'm more of an 'Oz-endurer' now!. You get to realise after a while that the things about it which you don't like aren't going to go away, so you just have to block them out. I largely manage that by avoiding the Australian media - telly, radio, newspapers, and try and live as 'British' a life as possible, keeping a close eye on the news and sport back home, watching British tv and having daily Facebook contact with family and friends back home. I don't have any Australian friends (surprise, surprise!) and just visit the local attractions in order to keep the missus happy and our daughter entertained. It's a surprisingly effective way of living :smile:

Alright EW,sorry you feel like yer do mate,i knew you werent fussed on Aus,didnt realise how much tho,cant be easy for yer,hope it all works out in the end,as you say,family are all important,i admire your personal sacrifice for them

I'll miss family obviously,and mates ive had since infant school

Things that i wouldnt find as good as home? are probably......the craic in town,the smallness of the city centre,how i can walk from one side of town to the other in minutes,so many pubs to choose from,poncey new ones,or the likes of the Beehive,The Globe,Coopers,The Hanover,The Richmond,Mathew st(my type of pubs) ,the list is endless

The fact i always bump into people i know if i want to mooch off to town for a beer on my own,if i dont know them i know their faces,because its a small city.

I "might" miss the directness/forwardness of my fellow Scousers,they "are" nose diseases arent they!:laugh:,but i dont know if S.A would be the same in that regard.

I'll miss watching the footy at a normal time,i'll miss the light nights,i'll miss more or less always being within walking distance of Shops,Chippys,etc etc,because even in the burbs here we usually have all that fairly near

So,for me,i know there would be a lot i'd miss,the above is just off the top of my head,there will be more

I dont believe in utopia,i guess we're all fairly cynical like that as a city tho tbh

So i'd miss loads mate,obviously i would be hoping for pro's in Aus to make up for these things,one day i might find out,we'll see

I hope you get the chance Pabs. Whilst I'm not fussed on the place, I do realise that it works really well for most Brits who make the big move out here. Even if 25% or so end up returning to the UK, as a betting man I like the odds in terms of it working out, and I've met very few British people over here who I'd say were unhappy. I'd definitely encourage anyone to give it a go if they've got their hearts set on it. There's nothing worse than getting to a time in your life and saying "I wish..." but then knowing that it'll never happen.

God, I do feel even more homesick reading your list of my favourite Liverpool pubs!. And the footy season's starting soon!. Cue, loads of waking up at 3am to check the scores!

I don't honestly think I will get to Oz, but it isn't because I don't want to, but like you, I will go where my wife is and my kids, I will be gutted, but that's life.

Hoff, from all of your posts I think there must be a pretty big expectation on the forum that you will go and live in Perth sometime. I for one am looking forward to your regular reports of just how great it is!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hoff, from all of your posts I think there must be a pretty big expectation on the forum that you will go and live in Perth sometime. I for one am looking forward to your regular reports of just how great it is!

I think the expectation is that I won't go, I have said several times it's highly unlikely, in fact at the moment there's about a 10% chance I will get there, 3 out of 4 of us don't want to go, so how it will turn around in favour of going I don't know, but there's well over a year of our visa left, so you never know. I have a great standard of living here in the UK, its a great country, so it won't be the end of the world, but I will be gutted like I have said if we don't give it ago.

I think the expectation is that I won't go, I have said several times it's highly unlikely, in fact at the moment there's about a 10% chance I will get there, 3 out of 4 of us don't want to go, so how it will turn around in favour of going I don't know, but there's well over a year of our visa left, so you never know. I have a great standard of living here in the UK, its a great country, so it won't be the end of the world, but I will be gutted like I have said if we don't give it ago.

Sorry mate, that's tough on you.

I am in exactly the position. Wife loves it here. So, I turn a blind eye - not always easy - and get on with it for her. I would be on a plane tomorrow. But, that isn't to be. Hopefully something in the future will change. But who knows.

Its a shame that you think you won't get to have a go at living here Jim. I think that if you love hot weather and the kind of activities that people get up to over here then you and family could have a great life here. TBH I'm a bit tongue in cheek when I describe myself as an 'Oz-hater' nowadays. I certainly did hate it for the first couple of years and there are still times when it gets on my wick, but generally I'm more of an 'Oz-endurer' now!. You get to realise after a while that the things about it which you don't like aren't going to go away, so you just have to block them out. I largely manage that by avoiding the Australian media - telly, radio, newspapers, and try and live as 'British' a life as possible, keeping a close eye on the news and sport back home, watching British tv and having daily Facebook contact with family and friends back home. I don't have any Australian friends (surprise, surprise!) and just visit the local attractions in order to keep the missus happy and our daughter entertained. It's a surprisingly effective way of living :smile:

When we first joined the forum I read a post on moving back to the UK and thought people were crazy to come back once they got out.... After our validation trip in Feb I really do understand both sides of the argument and I can finally see the UK for what it is. (A really great country where people are very well looked after compared to most countries) but personally I can't wait to move to Perth.... If it works out then great if not then great at least we have given it a go and I for one can go on the rest of my life knowing we tried it.... I wish i had gone in the late eighties when i was all set to move out there to my uncle but i never did it.... Life isn't a rehearsal we only get one shot and it is only now I am starting to see that.... I already look back at some things and think if I had done it differently.... It isn't all about the big house and money we have that and it hast made us any happier it is about lifestyles and enjoying it which is why we are giving it a go.... And if in the future we are back on here posting we are moving back to the UK I don't really care.... like I said we will have given it our best shot....

We came back 2010 after giving it not even a year really, the guilt got to me, we now live in the uk and have taken nearly 3 years to get back on our feet, family have moved to the coast nearly an hour and half away and we see nobody, my son who said hated it in Adelaide has informed me he is going back to oz with or without us (bless him) i fell for everything out there the guilt from kids, family ,, things werent going right for us, i did however have lovely friends who i met on PIA who were really supportive however i didnt give Adelaide or them a chance and it is now costing us, We are however trying to rectify this and hope to return to Adelaide or Perth (depends on jobs) , I like the idea of my family being close and yes the Uk do look after us and everybody else here and there are beautiful parts to the Uk. I just wonder if i personally will ever be truely happy where ever i am now , just because i crave Adelaide when im here and miss my family too much when in oz. Things are different this time as we dont have any support any more from family and personal things happen to make you realise that we only live once and just go for it. My job is to look after me and my family and the Adelaide will be great for my 3 year old as for the older 15 year old shes not happy but im not falling for the teenager strop again.... good luck with everyone who is trying to return its not as easy as it was 4 years ago, or as cheap.

Edited by calNgary

To be honest Hoff I think you have built up Perth over the years to be something it is not, and we have all done this to some extent, you know the feeling, its an obsession then when you obtain it or attain it , its never as good as it was in your mind. By all accounts you have a good standard of living there in the UK and are letting Perth take over your life, maybe the reason the other family dont want to go. Could try living in the positives of what you have there in the UK and maybe backing off the Aus dream a bit, you are missing out on life a little. Living in the future and missing out on what you already have. but..as I say we have all done it, i certainly have with material things. and never say never, 10% is still a chance.

We came back 2010 after giving it not even a year really, the guilt got to me, we now live in the uk and have taken nearly 3 years to get back on our feet, family have moved to the coast nearly an hour and half away and we see nobody, my son who said hated it in Adelaide has informed me he is going back to oz with or without us (bless him) i fell for everything out there the guilt from kids, family ,, things werent going right for us, i did however have lovely friends who i met on PIA who were really supportive however i didnt give Adelaide or them a chance and it is now costing us, We are however trying to rectify this and hope to return to Adelaide or Perth (depends on jobs) , I like the idea of my family being close and yes the Uk do look after us and everybody else here and there are beautiful parts to the Uk. I just wonder if i personally will ever be truely happy where ever i am now , just because i crave Adelaide when im here and miss my family too much when in oz. Things are different this time as we dont have any support any more from family and personal things happen to make you realise that we only live once and just go for it. My job is to look after me and my family and the Adelaide will be great for my 3 year old as for the older 15 year old shes not happy but im not falling for the teenager strop again.... good luck with everyone who is trying to return its not as easy as it was 4 years ago, or as cheap.

I feel for you, but I will say don't think the feeling of "when your there you want to be here and when your here you want to be there" will ever go away I don't think it ever does. You have a home in both places and that won't change since coming to Aus the first time. Don't let the kids influence your decision they will adapt as they get older, I wish mum hadn't listened to us all those years ago otherwise we would have had the chance to grow up with our cousins.