Back almost 2 years.......Our storey

Lynne S

Hi Everyone, I haven’t posted on here for a while, actually not properly since the day I sat in our Perth rental on a box, watching the removal men load our triple wrapped belongings and boxes into the container. What a day that was! The rain was torrential – all emotions were running on overdrive. I have sat down many times since to write an update on here, but I’ve found it really difficult.

Our story – we are a family of 4, we moved out to Aus in Dec2007 with two children then aged 8 and 11, lived in Gippsland for first 3 years(3hrs east of Melbourne) and then moved over to Perth for 6 months. Aus had always been somewhere my OH wanted to live, so when he was approaching 40, it was a kind of ‘if we don’t go now, we might not get another chance’. He got State sponsorship with the Victoria Gov and we managed to sell our house thatwe had just extended and renovated before the slowdown started, so we were in areally good position. For me, I never dreamt Aus was a better place to live, I was always hesitant, as we had a fairly good life and I was close to my family. But I came round and started to look upon it as a wonderful and fortunate opportunity for us all to experience life in another country. Plus I must admit I kept thinking it would be a better life for my children and their future. Our 3 years in semi-rural Vicwas difficult at first, as it really was a world away from our lives in the UK,but that’s what we had wanted. We got involved in everything we could and slowly got accepted into the fold of the community. My OH struggled constantly to find work though (Bricklayer) and was treated pretty poorly throughout, but did anything that came along. I applied for endless jobs, but very rarely even got a ‘thank you, but no thank you’ back. I watched him get lower and lower in the first year and he is a made of tough stuff. Then after working for a local trades man for 12mths, we started up our own business, he saw an opening in the market andwith the help of the government stimulus packages. Again, it was hard at first but with a lot ofgraft, it started to take off and went really well for a year until they stopped the grants and then it was back to square one.

So we decided after a 2 week visit to Perth and finding agreat school for our kids, jobs advertised by the bucket full, sun and beautiful beaches - that was the place for us! So 8 months later, with a visit back to the UK in between for a month, we moved to Perth. But we soon realised that we still had the empty feelings we had felt back in Victoria. My OH struggled again to findwork, but again took anything that came along. I again applied for all the jobs going which there were loads on the internet and paper, but had a very poor response – not even a sniff of an interview. The children by then 12 & 14 amazed us when we mentioned the possibility ofmoving back to the UK, it was like they got a new lease of life! I couldn’t understand it with the beach 2 minsup the road and views of the ocean from their school windows? My OH was all for it, It was the most difficult decision I’ve had to make to set the wheels in motion to move back –we had only just done a major move? Andit felt like utter madness to even consider moving back when we had only been here such a short time? But, something inside me felt it was right, but it didn’t stop me tearing myself into bits for weeks.

The move back took its toll on us emotionally and physically, having done 2 big moves, I underestimated what it takes out of you. Thanks to the high dollar we were able to buy a small house whilst still in Australia so we had a residential address to get our children back into the school we wanted them to go to, but this was still extremely stressful and thewhole time there were no definite’s that any of these things were going to happen. We got back having a house (which we were very grateful for) but no jobs, no guarantee that children wouldgo to the chosen schools, despite going to great lengths to be in the catchment and not really knowing what our future held? And all the time we were thinking‘have we/are we doing the right thing?’

We got back to the huge welcoming arms of family and friends, we were genuinely overwhelmed by the response of everyone. The first few weeks we were riding a bit of wave, it all felt a bit surreal. The day we collected the keys for the house,there was a letter on the doorstep advising that the children had places at theschool, this was just the best news for me. Then my husband was offered a job back with his old company, which felt incredible considering the economic climate – things started to fall into place. To cut to the finer details, my husband is employed, I’ve been doing a job for almost a year locally (despitenot having worked since my children were born) that I absolutely love at our local GP Surgery, my kids are settled and very happy with their lives, they are involved in so much more diverse stuff than they were in Australia, and have so many more interests.

This is really a post for people who are in a state of limbo on what to do. Although everything has now worked out for us and when writing it down like this it sounds like quite the ideal, it really has been a rollercoaster few years, our health took a huge knocking and the first 6/8 months back in the UK, we were in as much emotional turmoil it seemed, worse than when wewere trying to decide whether or not to return – I can totally understand why people ‘ping pong’. There was so much about Australia we all loved, it is truly an amazing country I will never regret going, and we have been extremely lucky in the fact that we were able to have an amazing experience and come back I feel - better people for it. We have fantastic memories and a better understanding of what it is like to be the immigrant. But having said all that, now we have settled back and normality of day to day life reigns, not a day goes by that I wish I was back there. I would be lying if I said I don’t miss the sunny days sometimes, or walking the dog on stretches of white sand, or the lovely friends we made, but I enjoy romping through the muddy woods too, the smells and the ever changing scenery the seasons bring – even the rain!

What I would really like to say is, if you are fortunate enough to get the opportunity to go, think carefully don’t pass it by, I was very close to my family but that wasn’t what brought me back in the end, I genuinely prefer England to live in, but we are all different, give it a go – leave England with an openmind to embrace what Australia is offering, not with the dreams of beaches and BBQ’s and the thriving place to raise children in a more healthy way, because Idon’t believe that to be necessarily true. My children are far more active and healthier now than they ever were in Australia, despite always being pretty busy kids. Australia does have so many new opportunities– life is too short to live with big regrets! Good luck to all who are making the brave and exciting move out to Aus,and all the very best to all of you who are thinking of returning, it’s far from all doom and gloom, stay positive either way.

Edited by Lynne S
  • Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

What a fantastic post, I am glad you are finally settled.

Thank you for taking the time out to write this update :notworthy:

Guest Guest16631

.......what an honest from the heart post.......

.......it's obviously from someone who now has such a clear vision.....

........of where they've been.......and where their going........

.........an enjoyable post to read.......thank you........tink x

Great post! It's been 20.5 months for us and though circumstances have been different for us I so agree that there is much more to do here and it's good to hear that your kids are thriving with things to do, health and happiness!