Been back a few days....

Kel1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved flying into Manchester when we went back last year. I cried! It's not all doom and gloom oop North contrary to some peoples opinion! The sun was shining though, it was very pleasant weatherwise when we were back in October. Give it time OP, everything looks better when the sun shines, its gloomy in Perth when its grey, I think the brightness makes everywhere look better and us feel better. Get some sleep, see some family, get drunk and enjoy being home

It is grey and miserable for plenty of months in oz, i did not mind it as i hate the searing heat....oz cities gets more rain then the uk cities...fact

What a weird time it is! After an incredibly long journey we landed back in England, and it was pretty underwhelming.

The drive from Heathrow was pretty depressing, I didn't really feel that happy to be back... despite really looking forward to it!

Obviously the drive from any airport isn't that exciting but it just felt flat and grey.

Had a few nice days with family, but there has been little sun, literally blanket cloud which is a bit sad. We felt the sun in Melbourne was so strong and it often stopped us doing walks,hikes, going out in summer - so we were looking forward to a milder climate. But after several years in Aus i think maybe we got a case of the rose tinted?! Anyone else felt a bit in shock when they moved back??

It has been nice to see the green grass, lovely country villages and everyone has been honestly really friendly. Barclays were quick and efficient, shop keepers have been lovely, etc etc. But... i dont know if it just me but there is a definite sort of slowness. It's hard to explain, maybe because we are in a small town in middle England, but it seems like nothing is going on. Not many independent coffee shops, vintage stores, quirky stuff. Just lots of chain type places and the feeling of Costa, Starbucks etc etc. Maybe we were spoilt in Melbourne??

We are not sure where to base ourselves. We don't want to live in eachother's 'home towns'. Not sure where to live. Bit confused...

We gave up good jobs and a fairly 'easy' life for something we are not sure exists here. But we do like it, we just keep comparing. Maybe we want a bit of everything and can't have it. We wanted to see our families more but realistically, how much do we want to? We don't want to live toooo close and be in their pockets. Our friends are spread all over the uk, so there is no 'hub' - we need to create one, but where? Melbourne was so new and we had no ties that we felt we could do anything and be anything. Here we feel different but can't put our finger on it.

Anyone experienced difficulties moving back and why?

Cheers!

I really get where you're coming from Kel. We returned to the UK in 2010 after two years on the Gold Coast and I experienced very similar feelings to those you've described. For my Australian partner it was even more underwhelming as she hadn't really wanted to leave. For me it did get better, but sadly my partner couldn't get work and so the return I'd yearned for during two unhappy years in Australia was cut short to little more than four months. It's ironic that so many of us put such huge effort into getting to Australia that we underestimate how hard it will be to start again in the country of our birth. I naively ( even arrogantly) assumed that once we were home that the hard part was over and that we would slip back into our old pre-emigration lives. That might be the case for some fortunate people, but our timing was against us as public sector workers returning at a time of cut-backs. Where work had been plentiful when we were leaving in 08, the job market was much tougher two years on. Without guaranteed work and with family and friends who'd moved on with their lives without us, the landscape felt a bit empty and uncertain in a way that I would never imagined during all my yearnings for home.

In my experience so much of everyday life is pretty mundane, it's just that when you're living everyday life in Australia, everyday life in The UK can seem much more fun by comparison!. It isn't of course, it's the rose-coloured specs you mentioned at work!. In effect, it's the reverse of what so many migrants experience coming into Australia, that humdrum necessities impinge upon what is a deeply emotional experience - changing countries. I hope it gets better for you and I'm sure it will. It just takes time to re-acclimatise and that's something we failed to factor in. If I ever get the chance to go home again I'll be much better prepared next time, both practically and emotionally.

Good luck :smile:

Bristol is a consideration, i like the independent shops and the vibe there, only been once so will have to check it out properly.

I'd say you should definitely check it out. Its a lovely city, had a lot of investment in it in recent years, the quayside has all be renovated and improved, new city centre shopping mall as well as the out of town one and then all the lovely independent retailers dotted around the city. Clifton is known for this sort of thing but is a bit more pricey etc. Good range of places for eating out, theatre, cinema and more. I really like it here and happily admit I'm fine staying here as I am moving to Aus. But Aus beckons at least for a while as hubby wants to go home and we need to spend some time there.

We too have just returned from Melbourne, not through choice, work forced the move. We were very happy, despite being broke. I totally get your point regarding the blanket of grey. And will someone show me where to get a decent cup of coffee! In many ways we were still in the honeymoon phase of our life in Melbourne, only living there 18 months, life wasn't perfect but we were happy.

I feel like we have gone backwards in our life.

It's super hard as my family are so pleased to have us back and I can't wait to leave!

We too have just returned from Melbourne, not through choice, work forced the move. We were very happy, despite being broke. I totally get your point regarding the blanket of grey. And will someone show me where to get a decent cup of coffee! In many ways we were still in the honeymoon phase of our life in Melbourne, only living there 18 months, life wasn't perfect but we were happy.

It's super hard as my family are so pleased to have us back and I can't wait to leave!

why did you leave if you were so happy, missing family i thing is just an excuse as your family would tell you to stay put as the uk is so crap.

why did you leave if you were so happy, missing family i thing is just an excuse as your family would tell you to stay put as the uk is so crap.

PB, perhaps read the post more throughly before replying. I don't see the need to argue this as the member already explained in their post. Their return was a work forced move.

PB, perhaps read the post more throughly before replying. I don't see the need to argue this as the member already explained in their post. Their return was a work forced move.

ok, i my apologies to OP.sorry.. i thought it was another missing family post.

ok, i my apologies to OP.sorry.. i thought it was another missing family post.

Thank you :)

Nothing to see here. Done, dusted and moving on people :yes:

Yeah i feel like i have gone backwards.... im not sure if it is because i am different to the person i was here 3 years ago. In England i had very little success in work and was struggling, whereas in Melbourne it was technically 'good' - decent job etc. Now we feel we have gone back in time. It is so strange

Guest dragon1970

That is the problem I feel the total opposite to that and feel as though as though we have moved forward almost into the real world. It just shows that neither country or indeed any country is best for everyone.

Yeah i feel like i have gone backwards.... im not sure if it is because i am different to the person i was here 3 years ago. In England i had very little success in work and was struggling, whereas in Melbourne it was technically 'good' - decent job etc. Now we feel we have gone back in time. It is so strange

Oh to all who were wondering why we moved back..

well we have asked ourselves this again just today.

It wasn't simply 'family'... we definitely missed family, although we were never the type that lived with our families in our hometowns, we had lived away in Manchester for many years. We thought we missed the UK for what is is - the green, the culture, humour, etc etc.

We also wanted our own home and Melbourne was out of the question for us 457 visa holders, as well as financially.

Also, the route to PR was long and meant a commitment to an employer that my bf didn't like. So we decided not to stay and fight and just come back.

We have set up our own online PR business, and have some aussie clients as well as overseas ones too, so decisions were not based on jobs. We have now the opportunity to set up our business properly and commit 100% to it as we are not working 9-5 anymore.

The only thing is, we travelled once we left melbourne across Australia for a few months and we had ups and downs but mostly it was fun, exciting!

Now we feel flat.

Also, despite being in the south of England it is very grey, blanket cloud. I was over the sun in melbourne but didn't think about how the lack of blue sky would effect me.

I feel quite sad and not sure why exactly... we felt like something was missing in Melbourne too. Now we feel we miss the 'buzz' of Melbourne and many parts of Australia, it feels like there is more going on, but is my view skewed because we are in a small town and not a buzzing city. But then not sure we could handle London as it is very expensive which is not ideal for us as we need to watch our money due to us starting our business, and we have lived in Manchester already and don't want to do that again.

We feel pretty lost!

I think one always feels let down after a good holiday. Back to the grind is never really very appealing! Perhaps you could try visiting all over UK and you will probably find a good fit for you. We've had sun in East Anglia - it comes and goes which is lovely compared with the constant harsh blue. Best buzz is always going to be in the big cities, London especially but that, as you say, comes with a price tag. Pretty buzzy this way too - but housing is buoyant unfortunately if you want to buy. Looks like you really didnt have much choice - temp visas are always going to be risky.

You may have felt flat even if you'd have stayed in Melbourne following a round-Australia tour. As Quoll said there is always a bit of a come-down period after a great holiday even if you love the place you live.

One of the great things about the UK is that in reality you're never that far away from anywhere, so the whole country is your oyster in reality. We lived in the south west (Cornwall & Devon) and in the Peak District, I dearly love both places, they have their own 'buzz' which isn't quite like a city buzz but there are things to do and stuff happening all the time.

I think once you find your 'place' and regain some focus you will lose that sad/flat feeling.

I've lived in several countries, and find that the quicker I can get some sort of routine established, the quicker I feel at home. Getting involved with local social stuff also helps with that. My social life tends to be more from taking the kids out to various lessons/clubs these days, but it is still an outlet and the chance to talk to other people which is great.

I find more that the thing which stops me from fitting in to a place is whether I feel that I'm on the same wavelength as the people around me...for example, when I moved back from Aus to the UK many years ago, I had changed and felt more Australian than English and realised that my horizons had broadened as a result of being in a different country and experiencing a different culture, and obviously my UK friends hadn't done that, I found it really really hard to fit back in and settle back into UK life.

We're in NZ at the moment, and went back to the UK for a visit in May/June, and I had been missing the UK sometimes...however, when we got there I realised that I've been away for long enough now that I don't feel I could ever live there again, even though I do sometimes miss family. I guess I just sometimes have that longing to feel like 'part of the furniture' in a place, but when I have been back to the UK on visits it always confirms to me that I'm no longer part of the furniture there either...

But in terms of you settling in quickly, I think the quicker you can decide on a place to live, and get involved with the local stuff, and the quicker you get a routine set up, the better... It definitely helps in putting down roots, and that's what makes a place home...

Oh to all who were wondering why we moved back..

well we have asked ourselves this again just today.

It wasn't simply 'family'... we definitely missed family, although we were never the type that lived with our families in our hometowns, we had lived away in Manchester for many years. We thought we missed the UK for what is is - the green, the culture, humour, etc etc.

We also wanted our own home and Melbourne was out of the question for us 457 visa holders, as well as financially.

Also, the route to PR was long and meant a commitment to an employer that my bf didn't like. So we decided not to stay and fight and just come back.

We have set up our own online PR business, and have some aussie clients as well as overseas ones too, so decisions were not based on jobs. We have now the opportunity to set up our business properly and commit 100% to it as we are not working 9-5 anymore.

The only thing is, we travelled once we left melbourne across Australia for a few months and we had ups and downs but mostly it was fun, exciting!

Now we feel flat.

Also, despite being in the south of England it is very grey, blanket cloud. I was over the sun in melbourne but didn't think about how the lack of blue sky would effect me.

I feel quite sad and not sure why exactly... we felt like something was missing in Melbourne too. Now we feel we miss the 'buzz' of Melbourne and many parts of Australia, it feels like there is more going on, but is my view skewed because we are in a small town and not a buzzing city. But then not sure we could handle London as it is very expensive which is not ideal for us as we need to watch our money due to us starting our business, and we have lived in Manchester already and don't want to do that again.

We feel pretty lost!

How can you say it is cloudy? Are you watching the tennis...the last few weeks have been really sunny and warm...it really gets me when people bang on about it raining and cloudy when they know it is not.....look at Wimbledon today and when it started...there's the truth folks....warm and very sunny.

How can you say it is cloudy? Are you watching the tennis...the last few weeks have been really sunny and warm...it really gets me when people bang on about it raining and cloudy when they know it is not.....look at Wimbledon today and when it started...there's the truth folks....warm and very sunny.

Does she live in Wimbledon??