Wildlife thread

Guest51810

It was raining and one downpipe was blocked, so I knelt down and put my hand in the bottom of the downpipe to clean it of dead leaves from the schotia tree...As I was cleaning the pipe, I saw a carpet python curled up about a handspan from my face... Extricated the snake which was about 1.4 metres long and took it down the back to the old woodpile and set it free. The snake started moving and suddenly a kookaburra flew in to grab the snake, which was quite slow due to the cold rain. Twice the kooka tried to get the snake but the snake sought sanctuary in the woodpile.

Now, it is back to the downpipe for me to clean up the dead leaves, then to put on a dry shirt...

Cheers, Bobj,

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen
4 hours ago, annaray said:

I like having birds and bees around the garden. 

We don't see many bees but have plenty of birds. I love the kookaburra.

• 5 months later...

Out on the surf ski last weekend, a bit in front of my friend and decided to turn around and paddle back to him. As I turned I noticed the water moving about behind my ski and thought it looked a bit strange. I also thought I'd heard splashing.

Paddling back I could see my mate laughing and he asked if I'd seen thecseal following me it had been jumping out the water behind me for a while. I was glad it was only a seal. Next thing it put on a display for us and a few people on the beach, jumping and sticking it's head out next to the skis. It just wanted a playmate.

Followed us for quite a way. Where's a gopro when you need one? 

Guest The Pom Queen
14 hours ago, Bobj said:

Wildlife,NT style...

1. Mangrove jack...YUM!

2. About 13/14 ft long saltie.

3. Barramundi.

4. Dingo 'visiting' our camp on the Keep River, far NW of the NT.

Cheers, Bobj.

P1060532.JPG

@Bobj when I first arrived in Australia, wow many moons ago now. I worked as a wildlife ranger at a zoo in Victoria. We had 8 dingos. I was told they were pure 100% dingo, unfortunately back then I had never worked with Australia Wildlife. As you know there aren't many pure blood dingoes these days due to interbreeding with the wild dogs but I think yours is.

Here is a map showing where the dingo inhabits and the likelihood of them being pure. Also I've included a photo which is very similar to the ones we had on exhibit 

IMG_3495.PNG

IMG_3494.JPG

Guest The Pom Queen

I really wish I had a zoom camera or Johndoe with me when we came across this oasis on the drive home. My photo doesn't do it justice. It was an old rusty ute on an island and pelicans and other birds in the water and cattle drinking on the edge. I'm so disappointed that I couldn't get the perfect shot19970e3eaf20ee04fa6bf1455c4bb3ff.jpg

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

• 6 months later...
Guest The Pom Queen
On 28/09/2017 at 21:03, The Pom Queen said:

I really wish I had a zoom camera or Johndoe with me when we came across this oasis on the drive home. My photo doesn't do it justice. It was an old rusty ute on an island and pelicans and other birds in the water and cattle drinking on the edge. I'm so disappointed that I couldn't get the perfect shot19970e3eaf20ee04fa6bf1455c4bb3ff.jpg

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

We passed this again on our way back home a few days ago.

• 5 months later...

Nat spotted this little snake on our land last night.

It's a White Crowned snake - never seen this particular species before.

Only tiny, around 15cm, not particularly venomous. Website I was reading up on about it says

"Relying more on bluff display than bite. . They will generally rear up & 'mock strike' with mouth closed, more of a 'head butt'.

43006794_241268596547210_111830932524105728_n.jpg

• Like 4

On 22/04/2018 at 22:48, The Pom Queen said:

Honeyeaters or Banana Birds

E7C2B110-FBA6-4F49-9A4B-C0438F007C2E.jpeg

FEC8C030-03BB-4495-BF53-00BCDED5C260.jpeg

C08A0677-DF1D-4334-AB5E-D5D6307A1D15.jpeg

@The Pom Queen  Blue Faced Honeyeaters Kate. The yellow faced ones are juveniles. Bathtime at my place 😉

29914440627_acc20d64db_o.jpgBlue Faced Honeyeater (2) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

30978311598_0cf724703b_o.jpgBlue Faced Honeyeater (4) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

44850529441_60df721e2a_o.jpgBlue Faced Honeyeater (3) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

Telling me to bugger off 🙂

44850589501_3c36234b71_o.jpgBlue Faced Honeyeater (1) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

Edited by Johndoe
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I see this little fella nearly every morning running around the grassy areas near the beach.  He is quite tame and I worry a dog will get him.  😐 They usually keep well into the bushes.  He is a wee marsupial the size of a rabbit and is called an Eastern Barred Bandicoot.

bandicoot.jpg

• Like 2