Wildlife thread

Guest51810

Haven't had a wombat on here yet. One of my colleagues and his girlfriend run a wildlife rehab centre. They were brought 'Wandy' last year as a baby. They didn't intend to keep her here as wombats don't generally hang out this way, they're normally found further east. The centre that was going to take her in couldn't at the last minute so she's stayed at Coolgardie. She goes out in the car, sleeps in the bed, gets grumpy and has a tendency to bite!

20130730_135854.jpg

And this is Eric, an emu who has been terrorising our new mill construction area. He's been a bit of a nuisance so he was captured (which as you can see wasn't too much of a struggle!). He was then taken to Coolgardie to the wildlife sanctuary but promptly jumped the fence and 48 hours later was back at the construction site, a distance of over 30km. He has since been re-captured and put in a pen to help him settle down. There's another fairly tame emu called Archie there so we hope they'll become friends (although we don't know what sex either of them are). All started when we had drill rigs on site before the construction commenced, and Eric hung around the drill rig. The drillers fed him ferrero rochers and Shapes. Despite us telling contractors not to feed him they still did, no wonder he hung around!

P8190204.jpg

20130730_135854.jpg

P8190204.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A scrub turkey at his mound/nest. These nests can be 1.6 m high and the male alone scrapes dead leaves and twigs from as far as 100 metres to build the nest...all scraped along backwards, over and under fallen trees, around rocks and bushes, etc. Only he incubates the nest by probing and feeling the temperature with his beak, adding, or taking off the leaves to keep the temperature at a constant 31 C, I think it is.

He is the same size as a rooster.

4112013004_zps84c880e7.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen
Haven't had a wombat on here yet. One of my colleagues and his girlfriend run a wildlife rehab centre. They were brought 'Wandy' last year as a baby. They didn't intend to keep her here as wombats don't generally hang out this way, they're normally found further east. The centre that was going to take her in couldn't at the last minute so she's stayed at Coolgardie. She goes out in the car, sleeps in the bed, gets grumpy and has a tendency to bite!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20876[/ATTACH]

Lol wait another year until the hormones kick in and they won't get near her. Gorgeous as babies but as teenagers they are nasty beggars. I remember at the wildlife park I use to have to throw myself over walls to get away from a charging wombat. Have to say though they are still my favourite. Shame we don't see them up here.

Guest The Pom Queen
Saw this little cutie in the Perth Hills, not sure what it is, OH thought a Bilby?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20875[/ATTACH]

Yes and no. He is a bandicoot but not a Bilby. We have bandicoots in our garden they are lovely.

Bilbys... I have only ev seen one in captivity, would love to see one in the wild. Take a look here about the Bilby http://members.optusnet.com.au/bilbies/Bilby_Society_Fact_Sheet.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
'Just photographed this Kookaburra swimming in our pool. Must have spent around 10 minutes diving in and flying back out again.'

Fantastic. I've never heard of them doing that and wouldn't have imagined it. Great pictures.

They are kingfishers.

Cheers, Bobj.