457 Visa School costs - is it the same cost to go private?

wideseat

Hi, I will be arriving in Sydney in September with my 2 young daughters aged 4 and 6 and looking at the potential costs of schooling. I am on a 457 visa which means I have to pay $4700 AUD rising to $5000 AUD per annum for public schooling. My understanding is that some private/catholic schools fees are similar to these obligatory fees.

So my question is am I better to send my kids private as I have to pay the $5000 per annum anyhow?

Thoughts or expereinces would all be welcome

Catholic schools (if you can find one to take you) may work out a bit cheaper as the fees are around the $3k pa plus IIRC a family loading for the temporary visa. Worth a look. If you arent Catholic though, you could struggle. Other private schools are going to start around the $10k mark

Catholic schools didn't used to charge extra for temp visa holders, but I believe that this has recently changed. Our girls don't go to catholic school, but from talking to friends whose children do, it can be quite difficult to get in if you aren't catholic.

Also, just check with respect to your younger daughter as to whether she will be able to start school. You may need to find long day care for her if she is too young for school and you will be at work, which can be difficult.

Thanks for this.I believe my youngest will not be eligible for school until 2014. However my wife is not planning to work for the first six months while we settle so childcare will not be a challenge at the outset. Am i correct in assuming I cannot really do anything with the schools until we have an address in Sydney?