Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest scots-in-oz!
hi mag

my name is danny, i,m not a nurse but my wife is (rgn) hope u or someone else can help, my wifes anmc assessment runs out in june, what is the quickest state to register to??

ta for the help

danny/kate

Hi Danny & Kate!

Welcome to Pio! I registered with Queensland and I think it took about 2 months for my registration to come through, although I did have to chase them up as I hadn't heard anything from them...the next day I recieved an e-mail saying I was now registered & my stuff was on its way! Now, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure it doesn't matter if your ANMC skills assessment has expired with you apply for your state registration. The ANMC skills assessment is only required for visa purposes, and is not required for state reg. Yes, you have to have used your ANMC skills assessment within 12 months(i think) before it expires for visea purposes.

Anyhow, I'm sure the ANMC keep all your documentation (NMC verification, course transcritps etc) for a certain period (how long for I'm not sure sorry), and they can forward it on to the specific state with you want to be registered in. I would contact ANMC to see if they still have all your documents & if they do request that they forward them for you. If they don't, I'm afraid it's a case of getting all the required stuff together again, and you'll need an up-to-date reference.

So do you have your visa yet, and where you heading?

Hope this helps a bit! Best of luck!

Mags:wubclub:

x

Guest danboy
Hi Danny & Kate!

Welcome to Pio! I registered with Queensland and I think it took about 2 months for my registration to come through, although I did have to chase them up as I hadn't heard anything from them...the next day I recieved an e-mail saying I was now registered & my stuff was on its way! Now, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure it doesn't matter if your ANMC skills assessment has expired with you apply for your state registration. The ANMC skills assessment is only required for visa purposes, and is not required for state reg. Yes, you have to have used your ANMC skills assessment within 12 months(i think) before it expires for visea purposes.

Anyhow, I'm sure the ANMC keep all your documentation (NMC verification, course transcritps etc) for a certain period (how long for I'm not sure sorry), and they can forward it on to the specific state with you want to be registered in. I would contact ANMC to see if they still have all your documents & if they do request that they forward them for you. If they don't, I'm afraid it's a case of getting all the required stuff together again, and you'll need an up-to-date reference.

x

hi mags

we are still waiting for full ak, waiting almost 7 months (life on hold) as we are one of the thousands that applied in august, 31st to be precise.

my wife kate, and 4 kids, jack 13, ryan 12, ceri 10 and a little late one lana 18 months.

i have family in the central coast so we are hoping to move maybe a little further up the coast possibly coffs harbour?

regards

danny

Guest ashmalog
Hi Danny & Kate!

x

hi mags, just reading ur timeline and wondered why you had to sit the IELTS test, did the ANMC request you take it or did you need it for extra points? i thought nurses that followed UK based training didn't have to sit it or it was up to the discretion of the ANMC.

Guest o'reillys

Just thought id say hi, im 36, csn and dh is an odp. hoping to go to brisbane but still very disorganised due to lively 8 month old! :goofy:

Guest scots-in-oz!
hi mags, just reading ur timeline and wondered why you had to sit the IELTS test, did the ANMC request you take it or did you need it for extra points? i thought nurses that followed UK based training didn't have to sit it or it was up to the discretion of the ANMC.

Yes, you're right, for those nurses who trained in the UK the IELTS isn't required, I sat the test for the extra points! I only had 115, so needed the extra to apply for the 175 visa.

x

Guest scots-in-oz!
hi mags

we are still waiting for full ak, waiting almost 7 months (life on hold) as we are one of the thousands that applied in august, 31st to be precise.

my wife kate, and 4 kids, jack 13, ryan 12, ceri 10 and a little late one lana 18 months.

i have family in the central coast so we are hoping to move maybe a little further up the coast possibly coffs harbour?

regards

danny

Hi Danny,

Well hopefully you'll get your acknowledgment very soon! Must be so frustrating for your, but will be so worth it in the end! Have never visited the Central Coast myself, have you? Best of luck to you and your family, and I hope you hear something soon!

x

I am a practice nurse hoping to move to the Gold Coast later this year. I am moving out on my own but have visited Australia several times so I am looking forward to the new start. I'm not too sure what the job availability is like for practice nurses, does anyone have any ideas? My application was acknowledged in Nov 2007 but I have heard nothing yet, the waiting is unbearable!

Guest ashmalog
I am a practice nurse hoping to move to the Gold Coast later this year. I am moving out on my own but have visited Australia several times so I am looking forward to the new start. I'm not too sure what the job availability is like for practice nurses, does anyone have any ideas? My application was acknowledged in Nov 2007 but I have heard nothing yet, the waiting is unbearable!

Hi there, i am a practice nurse too but going to melbourne. i found the internet a major source in [finding out about practice nursing in oz. they have an australian practice nurse association which has jobs on the site and i found career one.com very useful for jobs too. personally i used google earth and put in medical centres and sent my cv to ones in the areas i wanted. i have had a few emails back asking what hours i am looking for. you must remember that oz gp's are private and the role is not as advanced as the UK.

Guest planky

Hi, i have 115 points and was going to sit ielts for the extra points.

If you take a sponsorship am I right in thinking the ielts isnt needed, i have also been told skills assessment also isnt needed for sponsorship...is this correct?

Guest ashmalog
Hi, i have 115 points and was going to sit ielts for the extra points.

If you take a sponsorship am I right in thinking the ielts isnt needed, i have also been told skills assessment also isnt needed for sponsorship...is this correct?

hi there, depending on what you do job wise you could look at a different visa a state sponsored visa is only 100 pts i think. check out the DIAC website. skills assessment is needed regardless of sponsorship as it is proof you are trained to the standards required.

Hi Mags,

I am a qualified nurse working in Lincolnshire at the moment. Have, what sounds to be a fantastic job offered to me in Sydney to go to, when our visa finally comes through!

Applied online Nov' 07 for 175 visa, Meds and all police checks back and recieved in Oz December '07 but still waiting case officer. Sydney Hospital have sponsored me but waiting for Perm Residency so husband can work out there (he needs PR in his Job).

Feel like I am in limbo at mo, house not sold yet, visa not here. We all just want to be there now, VERY fed up with waiting!!! People say it will all fall into place and I am normally so positive and optimistic but really getting down at mo! sorry to be so negative. Loving the site for nurses though X

Guest CathCol

Hi his is such a great forum and I am back again for more 'nursey' advice !!

I am confident I understand the requirements for registration with NBV but wonder if anyone can clarify one point re work statement.

I know this has to be from the most recent or current employer in the past 5 yrs. I worked on the agency until2004 and have had 2 children since then. I am still registered and due to take up a post in a local nursing home in April.

Can I get a work statement from my new employer for the basis of registering or do I have to have worked for them for a period of time first?

I am confident I can get a work statement from the agency.

What do you think? As always grateful for all the replies!!! Cath:wubclub:

Guest ashmalog

hi cath, i would ask the agency for a statement as they are your present employers. i was told that you had to get your regisration with the NBV before they will finalise your visa but unsure if that on the sponsored route or PR route. they renew their reg every dec 31st and it only takes a few months so i would wait until you have worked in the new job for a while (if you have time to wait) at least the references will all be present and upto date. hope it helps but i could be wrong.

hi cath,

think i've read several posts back that it is a requirement for ANMC skills assessment to have worked as a nurse within the past 5 years so you maybe ok to enclose a reference from the agency you worked for until 2004, however to be on the safe side I personally would wait 3 months while working for your current agency and request a reference from them as well, use this time to complete and gather all other documents etc.

I also have noticed you have enquired about the ielts test on another post. I'm booked to sit it next month as I'm just short of 3years work experience to collect extra points for the 175 visa. It is not a requirement for ANMC skills assessment if you completed your training in the uk but I don't know if you require the english competency result for nursing board registration?

complicated or what? i'm sure i'll be able to write a book on immigration pretty soon:biglaugh:

best of luck x

Guest CathCol

Hi thanx for replies I am going to apply to NVB first on advice from ANMC as they said it is cheaper. Also read from other posts that the NBV will send on the required docs so no need to do twice!

I do have time so I think I will wait 3/4 months until with new employer and then start all my applications with the most up to date info.

We are fairly sure we are going to go now- out for a visit this Sept for first time - orginally for a look - but think now it will be an attempt to get a job so want to have all my bits and pieces done for then - sounds like a plan!!

This site is great for helping get your head around all this!!:chatterbox:

Guest liz n crabbie

Hi all. What a fab forum especially for those just starting the process of visa application. I currently work as a health visitor in west yorkshire and have previously worked as a community nurse and practice nurse. Hoping to go to WA with my partner and 16 yr old daughter. Have recently appointed an agent as we need to get a move on due to age (cough cough!!). Great to read the postings from all you professionals out there.

Good luck to all and fingers crossed things will start moving here too.

Liz, Andy n Meg

Guest kernow001

Hi ps, just joined the site and read your post, im a community nurse of 20yrs and my hubby is also a plumber/corgi gas fitter, could you tell us if he needs to convert his qualifications to work in oz. Any help we can get ie info would be a real help.

Thanks

Jan

Guest paulhayleyswales

Hello to all you nurses out there.

I'm currently working as a Community Psychiatric Nurse and are awaiting our visa before moving over to Mackay to take up a post with QHA. My question is, can anybody tell me how long I will have to wait before my relocation expenses will be repaid by QHA?

Cheers, Paul.

Hi my name is Claire, My husband and i were in Australia last year and fel in love with the place. Hoping to move to brisbane as soon as possible!! Awaiting transcript from university (RGU) then skils assessment ready to go. i have my visa application completed as well, it's so frustrating having to wait for skills assessment 1st

Archived