Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Guest itskaren

Hi Not sure what the salary is for community however, I work for an agency full time and get $39 per hour (this is suppose to be good!) So I would imagine you would get less than this. I was talking to a nurse at Box Hill hospital she is a high grade and she told me she gets approx $27 per hour.

This might not be helpful to you being in the community but I suppose it gives you some idea!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JoanneHattersley

I work in an elderly care village in a "semi secure dementia unit" and i get just under $30 per hour

Salary sacrafice - is arranged via a company - you pay them a nominal amount to arrange/manage this. Your allowed to package $9,500 (I think that's the amount), that amount is split over the 12 months and every pay day (2 weekly) that amount is taken out of your salary before you pay tax - it's then returned to your account a day later and over the year you pay less tax.

Ali

Guest ashmalog
hi .

did you have to tale the Ielts(english test) before you applied for your 175(silled visa)

hi there, as from july 08 everyone applying for a visa will have to sit the ELETS test - i have been told as the goalposts are changing yet again. if you did your nurse training in the uk or ireland then you so not have to sit the test but some people do to gain more points. it really is up to the discretion of the immigration people.

ouor life is in their hands!!!!

good luck with everything though, i'm hoping to go to melbourne after xmas, just awaiting skills assessment results then i can apply for visa.

I don't know if everyone can salary package or just certain trades but certainly nurses. Of course being English we thought there was a big catch but there doesn't seem to be. You can also package other things like lap tops and entertainment on top of that.

Ali

Guest Karen K

Hi everyone, i think i may be the first Community Staff Nurse on this thread which is nice as i am never the first in anything LoL. Anyway my name is Karen (yes another karen) i am 44 with three great kids and i lovely hubby, awaiting a case officer so we can go to Perth on a 176 visa. I hope to change my direction a little and become a practice nurse (my knees are getting tired). Great thread and the longest i have ever read, i think i am the 108th unless someone has beat me to it. XX Karen K

Guest michelledenham
Hello all, I am a critical care nurse (37),husband an ODP (41) we have two children 7 & 3 and hoping to move to a critical care post in Perth at sir charles gairdner hospital. We have just put our house on the market and the first viewer has offered the full asking price and so we are in shock! It's all going to happen very quickly now and I feel sick with excitment. We have been on holiday to Perth before on holiday which was a massive culture shock! So all being well we will be down under in a few weeks.

I also love everything here in the UK and I am not unhappy. However I do get fed up with long, cold dark winters and not being able to spend time outdoors. I am looking forward to some sunshine and in patricular we are looking forward to our sons health improving. Our son has very bad allergic rhinitis, allergic asthma and eczema. This dramatically inproved in Perth despite the fact it was there worst time of the year for hay fever.

Anyway Good Luck to all applying and to those already nursing over there let us all know what it's like.

Sarah x

Hi Sarah,

My name is Michelle. I am married with two small daughters (kiera 4yrs & erin 2yrs). I am a cancer/chemotherapy nurse hoping to move to 'perth' too. I have had a job offer from sir charles gardiner, royal perth, sir john of god & femantle hospital. I am visiting perth in may foe 3 weeks, so hope to actually visit these hospitals, then make up my mind. What do you think? I am also hoping to go on a sponsorship visa, as it is quicker and cheaper. As this ties me to the hospital for 2yrs, I want to make sure I make the right decision.

All going well, we hope to be in Oz early next year.

Fingers crossed

Michelle & the Denham gang

Guest michelledenham
Hi people. Nice thread.

My wife just got a job offer as a nurse from WA health department on a 457 for 4 years. How long does the visa process take? Have been advised that the health department has to wait 10 days for other applicants to contest the offer decision and if nothing like that happens its all systems go.

Is it recommended to book the medicals and do the police things in advance before you have been advised to do so. Have seen others on thread talking about frontloading the above. Is frontloading the same as doing these things in advance and just waiting to send them off.

For those in OZ already, how much does childcare cost? We have a 3 month old baby and I intend to also work fulltime, child care costs permiting. I work in the telcoms and technology sector.

Thanks people.

Charles

Hi Charles,

How did your wife get government sponsorship? I'm a nurse and am looking at sponsorship. If you get sponsored by a hospital the it ties you to that hospital for 2yrs, full-time. What if I hate the job/hospital? And a present I work part-time!

Goodluck with everything.

Guest michelledenham
Hi,What a great idea to have a nurses thread.My wife Sue 39, is a Sister on a Renal ward in Canterbury,Kent and we are just beginning the long visa trail! We are hoping to emigrate to Perth once the visas are in place and Sue would like to stay in renal nursing if possible as she has 6 years experience.I'm Nick 43,a lorry driver and heavy plant operator and we have twin boys Matthew and Joseph 7. We want to emigrate to try and give them a better start in life and to enjoy a bit more sunshine! We worry so much about all the violence,crime,drugs etc that we just want to get away from the uk,sad though it will be to leave. The N.H.S seems to have become a huge dinosaur with far too many managers and too few staff to do the dirty work! Anyway enough moaning,lets just look forward to the far off day when we finally get on the plane!! Good luck to you, all Sue and Nick

Hi Sue & Nick,

We are the Denham family. I'm Michelle (31yrs) and a sister on a nurse-led chemo unit in Essex. We have two small girls aged 4&2yrs. We are hoping to go to 'Perth' too. Probably early next year. I am looking at the sponsorship route, as it is cheaper & faster.

Jon, my husband is a air-conditioning engineer. So we are hoping he'll get a job ok too!

Just wanted to say 'Hi', to a fellow nurse going to 'Perth', and goodluck!

Guest carlitos

Hi Michelle & the Denham gang

With regards to sponsorship, the missus saw the advert in the Nursing Times Magazine for the Emigrate Western Australia Expo. We sent her CV and a covering letter to HealthWA@health.wa.gov.au highlighting our interest. They replied back and offered to interview her at the expo, which we attended on 4th of March 2008. She was interviewed and offered a job immediately after the interview. The sponsorship is for 4 years and you can work for any hospital within the WA health department. She had also lined up interviews with Sir Charles and RPH and she got jobs from both hospitals on the 11th. We got the TRN Number on the 14th to start the visa processing. Both hospitals have offered to sponsor for PR after 3 months of service, but I think you have to negotiate for that with the employers. She also has a job with St John of God, but they a private organization and do not fall under the sponsorship for the Department of Health. Please see the website http://www.osrecruitment.health.wa.gov.au/ for further information. Hope the above helps.

Charles, Michelle and Jadyn (3months)

Guest michelledenham

Thanks Charles,

All sounds great. I have been offered sponsorship by the hospitals but just trying to keep my options open. Do you know how much the visa's are going to cost? And are they speedy visa's? Also, does your wife have to work full-time? I currently work around 24hrs aweek. I have two small children, so i'm worried about childcare!

Although, the employers sponsorship is great, it does tie you to that hospital for 2yrs. So if you don't like it, 'your stuffed'. Also it does tie you to working full-time, which I would rather avoid if I could. My youngest is nearly 2yrs, so I rather be a great 'part-time mum'. My husband is also planning on working full-time, so childcare will be a must.

Thanks for your help.

Take care

Michelle (31), Jon (32), Kiera (4yrs) & Erin (nearly 2)

Guest karlsarah

:wubclub:Hi everyone I am Sarah! I am a RNLD which i believe is called developmental disabilitity nursing in Oz. I have only been working for the the beloved NHS for 9 years since i qualified and i have already had enough!

I would really appreciate it if anyone was able to give me advice on the job situation for my branch of nursing in the Perth area; as it is our dream to emigrate but need to know what job prospects are like?

Also, if/ when we get to Oz is it easier to find a job via an agency for a while?

What do i do about my NHS pension?

So many Q's, i think my head will burst!:wacko:

Guest JoanneHattersley
Thanks Charles,

Also, does your wife have to work full-time? I currently work around 24hrs aweek. I have two small children, so i'm worried about childcare!

Although, the employers sponsorship is great, it does tie you to that hospital for 2yrs. So if you don't like it, 'your stuffed'.

I am an RN in Brissie and I came over on a 457. Yes you DO have to work full time for the 2 years or until PR. Full time is 38hours per week!

Also you arent stuffed if you dont like it but you only have 1 month to locate a new sponsor

Guest diesellisle

Hi Michelle/Charles/nurses,

My OH, Jeff, is a nurse and also received a job offer from WA Health on 3rd March and doesn't yet know which hospital he will be working at - he will be working in theatres/recovery. The visa will be through the Employer Nomination Scheme, all being well. We have three small boys and a house to sell so decided to go down this route rather than the 457 route. We are hoping to make it to Perth by March 2009, fingers and toes crossed. Everything seems to be gathering momentum at the moment and it is both exciting and scary at the same time:biglaugh:

Hope everything goes well for everyone along their chosen paths and hope we will all be down under living the good life soon.

Lisa X

:smile:

I came on a 136 (now 175), have a look at the forms to see if you can fill them in yourselves. The hardest bit is getting everything together for you skills assessment - once you've passed that it's just a matter of filing in the visa form. We didn't use an agent. The ANMC will pass on your file to whichever state you want to register with and this saves duplicating everything, you just fill in the form for the nbwa and I put on 'file being sent by anmc'. You can apply to the nursing board first, and I think it's then a different form for the anmc (as you're already registered in a state), I got offerred a job whilst I was waiting for my visa to be granted. Don't be tempted by going on a sponsorship instead of PR.

Ali

Good look

Hi Ali,

How are you going? I trust you are fine. Will you be kind enough to explain to me what 136 and 175 are. I am a Forensic CPN hoping to go on 457. i am being sponsored by Queenslandhealth

Thank you and kind regards

Tim

Guest carlitos

Hi Michelle & the Denham gang

The visa fee is about £90 for the whole family when lodged in at the same time. There are other expenses that you will incur things like Registration fees with NMBWA £60 see Nurses Board - Fee Structure. The biggest expense is the medicals bit which depending on which panel doctor you go with ranges quite a lot. The children will need full medicals ranging between £90 - £160 per child. The main applicant (nurse) will need a full medical (£180 – £220) and a chest X-ray £47. your OH will just need a chest x-ray if he is not going to be working with children or in a hospital setting. You also need a police clearance certificate for the last five years which is £10 from your local police station and takes upwards of 40days to come out or £35 with the ACPO Association of Chief Police Officers Vacancies and takes under 10 days. If you are thinking about getting a PR in Oz I suggest you do a police check for your OH as well. I know you are supposed to hold a fulltime contract for the 457 visa. Am not too sure about the 2 year bit because I was of the opinion that once your PR comes out no one can hold you at ransom. I think its just good gesture to stay with same employer as they would have assisted you in acquiring your PR. They might ask you to pay back whatever they would have spent in paying for the PR which might work out to be either the same as doing it yourself. You can actual reduce your working hours to fit in your family demands and I don’t think that there is a rule that says you need to work full time after you have gained your PR for the same employer for a specified period of time. PR is not employer specific. We are going on a 457 but we also will be applying for the PR as soon as we land without any assistance from the employer. We could have done that and waited for the PR to come out and then leave but we are just thought we will play the waiting game whilst enjoying the Ausie life. Hope the above helps.

Charles (31) Michelle (28) and Jadyn (+3months)

Guest ashmalog
Hi, I've been looking at sponsorships but apparently you have to work full time for your sponsor, and be full time at the time of interview too. Well, I work part-time and want to stay that way if possible, approx 30 hours. Why won't sponsors take you part-time? This would be a great quick route for myself and family but I don't want to go back full time so it looks like i'll just have to wait for 175!!!!!!

snap i found the same info, have to work full time on sponsorship, not sure my hubby would cope with 3 kids and work part time as i do now. went to the expo yesterday and got offered sponsorship but they want me to work full time, seems an easy way to get over there but need to weigh up family and lifestyle. will have to do 175 too. also i found that they mainly want hospital workers and i'm in community so would hate to go back to nights and shift work. must work 2 years in acute medicine to beable to work on acute wards in oz.

My plan was to work on the ward for 6 months (to find my feet), then apply for a community post which all worked out really well (and very much to plan). Started on the ward Feb 07 and by august I'd started my community post.

Ali

Guest Bogle

Hey everyone.

My name's Barry and i'm a Practitioner Nurse, 24, and my partner Sarah's a Paediatric Nurse, 25, and we are aiming to move over to Brisbane from dreich Scotland in January. The whole thing seems pretty confusing so we are looking for some advice on everything basically!! Ha ha! We've been talking to an agency but not sure if that's the best way to go. Also looking at apartments to rent but not sure how much nurse's are paid in Brisbane!!

Oh it's all madness!!

:wacko:

Cheers

Guest karlsarah

Hi Ali,

Do you know if my branch of nursing (learning disabilities RNLD) is recognised in Oz? I keep getting conflicting stories. I know on the 175 doc it mentions developmental disabilities nurse is that the same as my branch/

From sarah attrill

Guest danboy
I've noticed that there seems to be lots of us nurses on PiO , with more joining the site all the time! (everyone trying to escape the nhs?! lol!) Thought I'd start a thread for us nurses to keep in touch, and offer support to one another! We could keep up to date about where we're at in the LONG process of visa applications, and help one another out with any info. Or even if your a nurse in Oz already, please feel free to say hi. I'm sure you'll hold a wealth of info for us still in the uk.

So I'll start! I'm a children's nurse, married, with two daughters, aged 13 & 10. At this point in time I've applied for my 175 skilled independent visa, and we have our meds this week! House yet to go up for sale, but will hopefully be on the market in the next 2 weeks. We're hoping to head to the Gold Coast, July/Aug, but this depends on visa & house sale. I have no job there yet, but have submitted my cv th Queensland health, plus a couple of individual hospitals in the GC. Waiting for them to get back to me!

Right, your turn!

Mags:wubclub:

x

hi mag

my name is danny, i,m not a nurse but my wife is (rgn) hope u or someone else can help, my wifes anmc assessment runs out in june, what is the quickest state to register to??

ta for the help

danny/kate

Archived