Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

My head is pickled reading and re-reading all the websites and posts on here. I am due to qualify with degree in adult nursing in August. I want to apply for Skilled Independent 189.

Can anyone clarify:

My plan was to complete IELTS during the summer (points needed for visa) - the results of the IELTS lasts for two years?

Then (need IELTS results to apply for) AHPRA - does this registration need to be completed before I can apply for ANMAC? (ask APHRA to post status to ANMAC?)

Then (once I have 3 months experience) ANMAC . It would be the modified assessment as I will (after the three months, hopefully) have AHPRA registration.

Then (I receive LOD and can begin) visa process - do I need both ANMAC and APHRA before submitting EOI..?

When does the NMBA come into it?

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info. Just with processing times being quite long at the moment (usually), I thought getting a head start by completing AHPRA while I complete my first few months experience would be beneficial.

Once Ahpra is approved..you have a year to show face in Oz. Presuming my anmac and visa application wouldnt take that long? But yeah. ..how long is a piece of string?!

Thanks for the info. Just with processing times being quite long at the moment (usually), I thought getting a head start by completing AHPRA while I complete my first few months experience would be beneficial.

Once Ahpra is approved..you have a year to show face in Oz. Presuming my anmac and visa application wouldnt take that long? But yeah. ..how long is a piece of string?!

We started applying early March (after doing ielta twice in jan & march)

You might be right. It took my wife @robley 3 or 4 months to get the Anmac LOD, and only about 6 weeks for the Aphra LOD. I think she sent off for ahpra maybe 10 or 12 weeks after Anmac. Which came in late July, and ahpra came in late August.

There doesn't seem to be a standard time. So just get cracking and it will soon be sorted I reckon.

Hi

quick question, we've had some conflicting information on being registered with aphra. My wife has a nursing degree but have been informed that although she has a degree she still needs to do a bridging course for aphra to register her, any truth in this or is degree enough? We have already sent aphra application away so hoping this is going to be enough!

Thanks

Hi wulber78

I wouldn't have thought so if it's a nursing degree. If you have a look at the AHPRA website there is information on their nursing qualification study requirements (this includes all the pharmacology learning objectives) which should have been covered and demonstrated on your wife's transcript information.

Is it AHPRA who are asking for bridging course?

Hi robley

thanks for replying it's not aphra that asking thankfully, it's someone that works in the hospital beside my wife who is also applying but they only have a diploma and were claiming that the bridging course was a requirement for all overseas nurses, degree qualified or not. I was pretty sure she was wrong but got me worried so thought would ask on here. Thanks again!

Wulber78

I am one of those UK nurses who only has a diploma, I started my degree pathway and gained 45 credits. I actually came here on my husbands visa and we have permanent residency. We only found out about AHPRAs new regulations just before we came after booking tickets and boxing our stuff up and popping it on a boat. We got thought surely they'll sort it out soon and we will be able to get me registered some how when I get here but the more I read the less sure I feel. Does anyone have any new info about the whole debacle, has anyone with only a diploma been given registration since the new rules? I've heard the bridging course is worthless although I couldn't afford $10k+. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated, if I need to go back to complete my degree I'd rather get the sadness and miserable wet out the way before setting any roots or getting my little one into preschool.

Hi Nurses

if we wee to move to North Shore or Northern beaches Sydney - where are the jobs based?

I saw The Royal North Shore hospital and the north shore private hospital. Are there many others in this area?

One of the p;aces we are looking at is around Killarney Heights, Forestville, maybe on the other side of the water towards Chatswood. If anyone knows much about this area and viability for Nursing jobs, it would be much appreciated. My wife is a community nurse.

What kind of area would the jobs be?

I am one of those UK nurses who only has a diploma, I started my degree pathway and gained 45 credits. I actually came here on my husbands visa and we have permanent residency. We only found out about AHPRAs new regulations just before we came after booking tickets and boxing our stuff up and popping it on a boat. We got thought surely they'll sort it out soon and we will be able to get me registered some how when I get here but the more I read the less sure I feel. Does anyone have any new info about the whole debacle, has anyone with only a diploma been given registration since the new rules? I've heard the bridging course is worthless although I couldn't afford $10k+. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated, if I need to go back to complete my degree I'd rather get the sadness and miserable wet out the way before setting any roots or getting my little one into preschool.

Have you thought of doing some online modules to top up, I know Chester university have been accommodating for many nurses that have already made the move.

I've recently done a research project on cultural competency and awareness in nurses. A friend done something on student nurses reporting cause for concern and said there was definitely scope for further research (lots on registered nurses but little on students).

What sort of topics do you enjoy?? What area do you want to go into?

Oncology at the moment. I've seen a few ideas regarding oncology patient/nurse relationship or clinical trials... just not sure and don't want to pick something with little research and really struggle other areas I enjoy learning about are Eating disorders (maybe too much mental health nursing) Armed Forces (maybe not enough research) it's so hard!! Didn't realise how difficult it would be lol xx

Oncology at the moment. I've seen a few ideas regarding oncology patient/nurse relationship or clinical trials... just not sure and don't want to pick something with little research and really struggle other areas I enjoy learning about are Eating disorders (maybe too much mental health nursing) Armed Forces (maybe not enough research) it's so hard!! Didn't realise how difficult it would be lol xx

Hi I am in same stage as you and really struggling. I'm 3rd year paed nurse but love neonates so was thinking maybe something like parents perception of effectiveness of pain management on the NICU? It's so difficult I keep going round in circles as I want it to be something which I could use to influence my practice? I find qualitative much easier so want to stick with these types of reasearch.

Witn eating disorders the first thing that comes to mind is how well do patients perceive their eating disorder is managed/supported on a general ward? I know on paed wards they are there for months before moving to a unit without any help , nurses feel out of depth really and apart from following a rating plan not much in way of helping them happens ?

Guest Guest100417
Hello fellow nurses! I a newbie here in tH forum and would want to learn things regarding application for nurse in OZ if coming from outside the country. I hope you could guide me on the process. Thanks a bunch guys!

Hi Dindin, I'm a nurse from the UK and have a diploma which unfortunately isn't recognised by AHPRA so had to embark on the degree top up which is 6 modules for a BSc without honours. This will be accepted as this equates to Australian Qualification Framework level 7 but luckily enough I did a module in CBT 3 years ago and also the Psychopharmacology and Non Medical Prescribing (finish March 2015) I now only have to do 2 more mandatory modules (both via e learning) and should be able to apply to AHPRA for registration.

I have applied for aha 189 and had to complete the IELTS academic which wasn't too bad (http://www.ieltsbuddy.com) and watching IELTS Ryan videos on YouTube. We didn't use an agent due to the costs but the process isn't that difficult, just a lot of work to get all uni transcripts and course brief from the uni sent to ANMAC directly. The actual application after the expression of interest (EOI) is a big piece of work but tells you everything that needs to be uploaded after being verified by a solicitor or Justice of the Peace (JP) Next was the medicals which was booked and completed at Spire Manchester and took only 40mins in all, police checks take a week or 2 to get back to you too.

If I was you (and I did this) go to the conferences and use the free advice services and try to drag this out with an agent even if you don't sign up to the service. If you plan on using one, John Adams from immigration2oz was really good and one of the more recommended ones.

I know this is a little long winded and not sure if this is what you wanted (or needed) but this is everything you need to know. I may have missed some bits out so someone may correct me or add anything else.

The wait for me and the wife continues but should hopefully get a grant in the next 1-2 weeks.

Best of luck to you with everything.

Tom

Hi Dindin, I'm a nurse from the UK and have a diploma which unfortunately isn't recognised by AHPRA so had to embark on the degree top up which is 6 modules for a BSc without honours. This will be accepted as this equates to Australian Qualification Framework level 7 but luckily enough I did a module in CBT 3 years ago and also the Psychopharmacology and Non Medical Prescribing (finish March 2015) I now only have to do 2 more mandatory modules (both via e learning) and should be able to apply to AHPRA for registration.

I have applied for aha 189 and had to complete the IELTS academic which wasn't too bad (http://www.ieltsbuddy.com) and watching IELTS Ryan videos on YouTube. We didn't use an agent due to the costs but the process isn't that difficult, just a lot of work to get all uni transcripts and course brief from the uni sent to ANMAC directly. The actual application after the expression of interest (EOI) is a big piece of work but tells you everything that needs to be uploaded after being verified by a solicitor or Justice of the Peace (JP) Next was the medicals which was booked and completed at Spire Manchester and took only 40mins in all, police checks take a week or 2 to get back to you too.

If I was you (and I did this) go to the conferences and use the free advice services and try to drag this out with an agent even if you don't sign up to the service. If you plan on using one, John Adams from immigration2oz was really good and one of the more recommended ones.

I know this is a little long winded and not sure if this is what you wanted (or needed) but this is everything you need to know. I may have missed some bits out so someone may correct me or add anything else.

The wait for me and the wife continues but should hopefully get a grant in the next 1-2 weeks.

Best of luck to you with everything.

Tom

Thanks for the guide @tomtoner2000.. looks like the process really require a lot of effort.. Regarding the thing you told about applying directly and processing everything by yourself rather than getting an agent for guide, should I just go online for AHPRA registration and.complete the designated requirements? Here in our country agents with high demand for pay are the ones who assist in the process. Im a bit unfamiliar with the modules you mentioned and not sure if those are available here. Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, im applying for community nurse jobs left, right and centre in brisbane, gold coast and sunshine coast as im arriving in brisbane in 8 weeks but im hearing nothing in reply? Is it very difficult to get nursing jobs in these areas as i've never had problems before in the uk? I have an interview as a community nurse in Mackay which is alot further north than we planned to be so my resume cant be terrible? Im just wondering if im bein impatient as its getting closer or is it genuinely harder to get jobs around Brisbane. Any input would be appreciated x

Hi, im applying for community nurse jobs left, right and centre in brisbane, gold coast and sunshine coast as im arriving in brisbane in 8 weeks but im hearing nothing in reply? Is it very difficult to get nursing jobs in these areas as i've never had problems before in the uk? I have an interview as a community nurse in Mackay which is alot further north than we planned to be so my resume cant be terrible? Im just wondering if im bein impatient as its getting closer or is it genuinely harder to get jobs around Brisbane. Any input would be appreciated x

Are community nurse jobs the same over there as they are into the UK?

My wife also works in that area - still trying to suss out the best way to get the right kind of work (and wages)

Archived