Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Out of interest, what did you have in UK money as 2 Months living expenses? (We are planning on going to the Sydney area)

hi Matthew

We are looking at QLD cheaper areas such as GC. We have $400 per week spends to include food and bus fares. $1600 for rental deposit (we are aiming for a $1600 per month property to enable us to save for a mortgage deposit). $1600 x 2 months rent. $500 for utilities or house costs. We then have $1000 for basics such as cutlery, mattresses etc on arrival.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi Matthew

We are looking at QLD cheaper areas such as GC. We have $400 per week spends to include food and bus fares. $1600 for rental deposit (we are aiming for a $1600 per month property to enable us to save for a mortgage deposit). $1600 x 2 months rent. $500 for utilities or house costs. We then have $1000 for basics such as cutlery, mattresses etc on arrival.

Thanks!

I am not exactly sure where we'll be, but we are aiming to go to the Sydney area, so it might be a bit more expensive. I'd better get researching!

Hi everyone, I posted a while back regarding being a new qualified degree nurse without experience hoping to work in Oz. Anyone had any experience of this yet? Called AHPRA to find out options available i.e alternatives to the bridging course but the girl I spoke to had no clue if gaining a little experience here would help or not. I had read somewhere that 3 months full time helps but she knew nothing of this. Oh and i qualify in November and my partners travel visa for his PR runs out in December so I dont really want to stay here with the kids for 3 months alone... but if it means registration in Oz/saving £10,000 then obviously I will need to. Any thoughts or experiences anyone? Thanks x

Hi everyone...

i have been offered a nursing job in perth, I read somewhere that if you get your prospective employer to send a letter to ahpra with confirmation and a start date they prioritise your application so it's done within 4-6 weeks. Does anyone know if that is true?

Thanks

Hi,

I did a degree in MH nursing,I did about the same so shouldn't worry…..THE AHPRA is only valid for one year and actually when you arrive you show all the paperwork again and then a few days later they send you an emails saying all done….My AHPRA took 9 months !! so apply asap….Make sure you get confirmation of hours also so you can prove how many years you've worked,as they pay del on years so if you've been qual 10 years but only worked part time they'll only pay you at level 5,so be warned…..Good luck its so worth it….

Hi retty1968

when did you apply to AHPRA? I am hoping to get my forms sent next Wednesday. I really hope mine doesn't take 9 months as I doubt my job would wait that long. Do you have to have ANMAC for a 457 visa??

Hi Mrskelly2014,

The following is copied from ANMAC's website regarding the skills assessment:

[h=3]Do I need a skills assessment?[/h][h=4]I am coming to Australia on a working holiday or temporary visa. Do I need a migration skills assessment by ANMAC?[/h]No. You only need to have your qualifications and skills assessed by ANMAC if you are migrating to Australia under General Skilled Migration. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection will advise if you need a skills assessment for your particular visa.

As you are applying under 457, which is a temporary visa, I'd assume you don't need to be assessed - probably best to email the DIBP for clarification though.

Cheers

Hi Rebekah,

I've got the same level of post grad experience as you and I had no trouble registering with AHPRA.

The academic transcript took a while to process and obtain from Napier Uni (where I trained) so give yourself plenty of time to get it.

Cheers

Thats great to hear.I trained at Napier too! Are u degree qualified? I'd love to get the process started.

Rebekah

Thats great to hear.I trained at Napier too! Are u degree qualified? I'd love to get the process started.

Rebekah

Yes, I've got a degree in Adult Nursing - September 2009 cohort.

The transcript costs £55 inc VAT and it takes them about 12 weeks to process it. I can PM you contact details for the girl who helped me prepare my academic transcript if you like?

Cheers

Yes, I've got a degree in Adult Nursing - September 2009 cohort.

The transcript costs £55 inc VAT and it takes them about 12 weeks to process it. I can PM you contact details for the girl who helped me prepare my academic transcript if you like?

Cheers

Yesh that would be great :) have u been offered work?

rebekah

Hi, I qualified as an adult nurse in April this year and would like to go oz next year on a working holiday visa. I want to work as a nurse through agencies. Just wondering if APHRA still accept diploma nurses as I have read on other sites they have changed there application process etc if anyone could help,thanks.

Hey guys I'm up to sending off for ahpra, I've sent my anmac assessment in august and still awaiting a reply ..

I am currently gathering supporting documents to send to aphra, ( I have already sent some documents to ANMAC)

1. identity documents - Passport and birth certificate

2.Academic qualifications - Transcript and graduation certificate and emailed a letter template to my university that they need to fill out and forward to ahpra

3.registration history - verification paid for £34 and also initial registration certificate and current active pin document

4. Work history - CV made using ahpra online template - and certificates of clinical skills i.e AIMS IV therapy and Preceptorship programme (bridge programme)

5.English language skills - ielts certificate (scoring 7 or above).

6. a letter template sent to NMC that they need to fill out and forward to ahpra to prove I have studied an accredited course ( via aphra instructions on website)

7. fill out application form

8. pay $520 dollars via application form ..

I have photocopied everything and im planning to get it all certified by a justice of the peace / magistrate by the end of the month.

Now I already had these documents as I have sent them all to ANMAC in july, however I sent over a letter from my employer to ANMAC (with letter headed paper and official stamp and all that jazz) and I am adamant I have seen on the ahpra website that they wanted me to send it also .. but now I cant find the darn page where it said it.. and ive been looking for over 2 hours ..

HAS ANYONE RECENTLY SENT A LETTER OF EMPLOYMENT TO AHPRA OR BEEN REQUESTED TO DO SO?

don't want to send it all and then send this piece of paper too ?

thanks in advance guys ... close to tearing my hair out lol ..

Was this recently in some other posts people are saying 6-9months xx

Applied mid July. Asked for more docs mid August. LOD came through start of sept.

Maybe we got lucky!

My wife has a BA and BsC and does some nurse prescribing. That might have helped. But who knows. We expected months and a lot of agro, but it never happened.

Archived