Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey...I am going to aus in Januarywill be traveling from Melbourne to cairns over a year spending 3 months in each big city and wanted to know if any agency's do all them? And any views on agency work? Thanks :-)

The public hospital in Cairns (Cairns Hospital, previously Cairns Base Hospital) doesn't use agency as far as I know. I don't know about Cairns Private Hospital. So it really depends on what you want to do. Some of the local agencies service remote area holiday relief. They generally want extensive remote or ED experience +/- postgraduate qualifications, plus midwifery in some locations. I would advise communicating directly with them by email to see if they can provide work when you plan to be here. Alternatively, if you want to work at the public hospital you could apply for their casual bank. Your first point of contact in nursing recruitment is likely to be obstructive - she usually is! In no way do I justify it, just forewarning you. She is not a decision maker.

Hey :) it has probably been asked a 1000 times before but its not coming up in the search....

Can you work as a nurse on a WHV?

Also, I have just qualified as a nurse(march 2014) i am awaiting to start new job in an acute area.. hoping to do this for 6 months then move to Oz... around Sept time

I am new to all this about visa's etc so any information is much appreciated!!!

It has been my dream to work and live in Australia since i was 10! (now 24) just split up with boyfriend so i have nothing to hold me back anymore!!

:)

Go on ahpra website for all info..mine took 8 weeks. .ive seen other people on here wait months for registration. .there is a fee

.. and you need to provide proof of english language..cv..references..id..academic transcript..letter from nmc..etc

Go on ahpra website for all info..mine took 8 weeks. .ive seen other people on here wait months for registration. .there is a fee

.. and you need to provide proof of english language..cv..references..id..academic transcript..letter from nmc..etc

so if I was to go in sept/oct 2014 what month before would you start doing all that? Also I applied for WHV yesterday and someone rang me back this morning to say it was approved and was ready to take payment over the phone of £359 - and that was from the Australia immigration site just checking this is correct ?

I want to try make a list of stuff I need to do/read up on could you help ?

Thanks for replies, really appreciate it!!

Hi, in in Newcastle and the local magistrate here charges £25 per copy! I have about 18 things to sign, slightly over the top!! I'm going to a notary this afternoon who is doing them all for £95! Expensive business!!

Bouncy - the Magistrates changed during my time I used their service and was supposed to be £25 for up to 10 documents, I frequently had to remind them at Sunderland as they didn't have a clue and had to keep ringing the centre where I paid the money!

Just came back from the notary and it took him 10 minutes! £95 for 10 minutes work! I'm in the wrong job!! Nic1171, maybe I should have tried Sunderland! I only tried Newcastle!

now it's done I can send it all off!! Thank god it's done! Xx

Thanks guys it sounds like its a postcode lottery. I took you advice and have an appointment at the local Magistrates Court. £60 for unlimited amount if docs. Steep but a lot better than £350 at the Notary. Lets hope I don't forget any docs!

Hi fellow nurses, I have been living in Perth for almost 5 years now on a permanent visa. My husband and I have decided to go back to the UK. I'm just wondering if anyone on here has gone back and worked in the NHS again? I will have to register with the NMC again and wondered how hard this is going to be from OZ? Also I really want to have a job in place before I leave does anyone know if this can happen or have themselves? I have 10 years nursing experience in acute medical, critical care, haematology/oncology. We are moving back to the north east of Scotland. We are looking at moving back in about 18 months so we are just at the start of the process, saving as much as we can.

Morning all,

Well not been on here for a little while as we have been super busy finishing our house extension and getting the house ready for sale. Pleased to say he house sold within two days, so we are all systems go:laugh:

This morning I have just attended court to have my documents certified, gee whizz I was not prepped for it being so formal, stood In the witness box with a court full of people!! Then guess who got to the stand and realised she had forgotten all her original documents! doh!!:wacko:

Anyways all done now after lots of apologies and a beetroot face!

I have everything, I hope, ready to send to anmac however the documents that have been certified have not been stamped as they do not have one? will this be a problem?

Thanks all

Hi all, thanks for the great advice so far you have saved me loads as the magistrate only charged me £25 to certify all my documents!

Just another couple of questions. I havent taken an English language test but I got my old school to write and verify I had studied in English for 5 years and sat all my pre-nursing exams in English. Would this be enough to satisfy the English language requirement? ​ (I am a British Citizen from birth)

Also, which way is the most secure to post your documents off to AHPRA? Thanks guys!

Not sure about the language thing as I did Ielts aswell as studying English all my life but I can tell you I posted my docs via international signed for to the street address and it was delivered today. Also got a confirmation email from ahpra saying they had recieved my application today.:)

Archived