Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Without bursting the bubble and sounding cynical, the 'diverse skills' I also had can be parked at the airport, you won't need them. Mental health is a strange old game over here and different in many weird and wonderful ways from what UK'ers will be used to.....an open mind is needed :-)

From my external view of acute inpatient mental health services in several states, the terms you might be seeking to avoid are archaic and custodial.

Hi thus forum has been a great source of info but I've only just started posting . I felt we were making very little progress until now.

I'm an RMN with almost 18 months post reg in low secure service and 10 years unqualified MH experience including 5 years high secure.

I've just flown back to the uk from Melbourne after completing my AHPRA registration before my letter of eligibility expired.

Feeling exhausted after 24000 miles in. 5 days but happy to have finished.

My wife has been waiting for AHPRA to process her RMN&RGN qualification since October. A month ago it was almost finished and we have just emailed fir an update again.

We expect to have another couple of months for Anmac before we can apply for pr visa.

It all seems to be taking an eternity, but we are slowly getting there.

What are the job prospects like for an RMN in Melbourne, also my wife prefers to work as RGN will she have difficulty finding work? (10 years diverse experience, including surgical, general, elderly and prison healthcare)

Hi All,

I have woken up this morning to an email confirming I have been granted a 489 family sponsored visa!! I have also received an email from a new hospital in Perth with an interview date for a neonatal nurse role!:biggrin:

My question is could anyone provide me with an idea of what they might ask me in an interview, I know they may ask usual questions such as conflict resolution and strengths and weakness but anything else specific to Australian nursing?

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Hay

Hi All,

I have woken up this morning to an email confirming I have been granted a 489 family sponsored visa!! I have also received an email from a new hospital in Perth with an interview date for a neonatal nurse role!:biggrin:

My question is could anyone provide me with an idea of what they might ask me in an interview, I know they may ask usual questions such as conflict resolution and strengths and weakness but anything else specific to Australian nursing?

Thanks

Hay

cant help with interview but wanted to wish you luck :)

Hi All,

Thanks

Hay

Sorry I can't help either with the interview questions. Congrats on your visa & good luck with your interview. Keep us posted as to how you get on if you don't mind.

Hi All,

Thanks

Hay

Skills/knowledge/experience questions; also here in Nsw interview questions are usually behavioural, jot sure about WA though, Eg tell us about a time when you.......what did you learn? What might you do differently?

We ask about clinical knowledge too, and look at how you might work as part of a team, work with families.

Good luck.

Hi re the interviews you mentioned Ive just had four interviews across Brisbane area for nursing positions that were all very similar...I was given two or three scenarios of what would you do if...and then asked general questions re person centred care...they were very similar to what you might expect in England TBH...Prepare as you would here and itll work out well...

Matthewroberts - check out the AHPRA website its explains exactly whats required and you need to be exact...I printed off the oversees application form and then followed the list of requirements to the LETTER!

Good luck!

Hi AHPRA took me from september 2013 to Feb 2014....i needed to resend certified docs though cos id originally had them signed by a solicitor which was incorrect and i had to take them to be signed by magistrates at my local courts amd resend them...hence why i said follow AHPRA instructions to the letter! Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Just found this website.... a great source of info! Working my way through it! :)

I have been thinking about moving to Oz for a couple of years in then next year or two. I am 24, no dependants. I have a nursing degree and by the time I was thinking of going, I will have approx three years qualified nursing experience behind me.

Havn't got any questions as yet.... still doinf some research on my own at the moment! Just thought I would pop into say hi! So... 'Hi!'

Tori :)

Hey I am going to aus in January on a working holiday, I am in the process of completing my ahpra registration at the minute and I was wonder could someone clarify that I djnt need to do a ilets as I have a letter from secondary school to say I was taugh in English? Also can anyone recommend a good agency as I will be traveling from Melbourne to cairns over a year spending 3 months in each big city and wanted to know if any agency's do all them? And any views on agency work? Thanks :-)

Hello everyone! I finally have all th necessary paperwork to send off to ANMAC! Feels like it took forever! I'm getting it signed by a notary public this week so I can use for both ANMAC and AHPRA. Just wondering how to send it all to oz? Do people just use royal mail recorded delivery or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Bouncy, I just sent mine by airmail with Royal Mail. Didn't send it recorded delivery or anything just got a proof of postage that's all. I sent it on Saturday 22nd March and received an email from ANMAC to say they got it on 28th March. :0)

Archived