Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Hello Im going to send my ahpra application, but I have one doubt. I want to move to Melbourne, but I heard Adelaide´s branch is faster. The question is If I send my application to Adelaide I need to present personally in Adelaide or is it possible to go to Melbourne to complete my registration? and an extra question the time they give to present yourself in person in Ahpra to complete the registration is 12 months, isnt it?

Thanks

yes to both. You can present at any AHPRA office and yes you have 12 months to do so. I used Darwin but presented at Brisbane

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i remember when I started I thought I would never figure the process out but a girl off here gave me a similar list of to do things which helped immensely, I like to think I'm repaying that info back!

I will certainly do the same , when I can x

Im not sure how exactly things work, although I have recently been through the whole process & I am currently working in Brisbane, but I didn't have to anyone. When I received my acceptance from ahpra I was automatically on the register & did not present. Not sure how or why?

Have you had your visa when you applied for AHPRA? I think if you don't have visa when you apply in that case you need to present with valid visa to complete your registration.

Hi peeps, newbie to the forum!

I have been reading this wonderful thread, thanks to everyone that has contributed! I had no idea where to start with the emigration process but this forum has been invaluable

I am a paediatric nurse - band 6 - working within an accident and emergency department I am also a emergency nurse practitioner. I have been qualified for 9 years hopefully making the move to brisbane with hubby (bricklayer) and kids 12 and 7. Looking to go for PR and hoping to do the whole process myself!! :skeptical:

Ielts booked for the 1st feb, practicing lots, and then will complete the skills assessment with anmac?! Trying to gather as much documentation while I have the time. And then hopefully commence visa proceedings?!

Was a little bit concerned on the job front? Keeping my eyes peeled :rolleyes:

Australian Nursing Uniforms - share a desctiption of yours please?

As I was getting changed for my shift this morning and putting on my uniform I was wondering what types of uniforms nurses wear in Australia?

Getting my first royal blue staff nurse dress was a huge moment for me, but the moment I was able to wear the famous navy blue...well it will live with me forever! I am proud of my uniform I dont believe it automatically determines that you are a great nurse, our actions determine this of course...

So on a lighter note I was hoping for some insight into the uniforms that you wear nursing in Australia.....

hi everyone another quick question as dont fancy paying out and making mistakes, regarding the ielts, is it the academic and general training i apply for or just the academic? how long does it last for once passed say if i did it in april 2014 and plan to move over in sept 2015? xxxxxxxx

Nice!!!.Navy scrubs sound comfy...and cool!

Id like some of those :)

Anybody else?

Choice of navy pleated skirt or shorts married to navy polo shirt or blue chequered blouse for the wife, or, of you prefer, navy pleated dress...............easy wash, no/little iron if removed from washer immediately................you can guess who does the laundry in my house ;-)

Hi Carly!

its all very exciting isn't it, just want to go now I've made the decision

I stumbled across the following website when practising

http://www.ielts-exam.net/

I was chatting to a dr who said the reading section of the exam was the most difficult and have to say so far I agree the reading material is quite dull ?

you also get free access to road to ilets once your confirmed for the exam

hope this helps ?

Hi all,

I am new to this site, and not sure if I am posting in the right forum, but here goes!

I am only in my 1st year of adult nursing in the UK and myself and my partner are planning on coming to oz when I have qualified. Does anyone know how easy it is to get employment over there, especially if I don't have much post registration experience. Do Australian hospitals etc favour the newly qualified?

Thanks

Andrea

Andrea at present there seems to be employment opportunities for newly qualified (or with a few months experience I believe) however nursing has really taken a downturn in a few states at the moment. As I have found during my course the situation when I was in my first year compared to my 3rd year is miles apart. Nursing is a career where the demand will come and go and I am sure if you focus on your degree you would find employment shortly after you qualify. There is nothing worse (I do it all the time) than seeing an ideal job in your ideal area and not being able to apply for it.

There are plenty of us student nurses on here working hard with the same plans. I am going on a permanent resident visa and by the time all the paperwork will have completed it will be at least 6 months post qualification. I also believe this is the minimum amount of time needed to work in the UK in case you return to the UK in the future, where you wouldn't have to re study.

Hi sorry to gate crash your thread, but I couldn't work out how to start a new one! I'm going bonkers and desperately need some advice!......

1)i have recently had my AHPRA application cancelled due to my documents not been certified correctly! Apparently! I paid the courts for a justice of the peace to certify, a district judge has signed them but AHPRA state this is incorrect even though he has sent a link proving he is a JUstice of the Peace, however he does not have a JP number. Has anyone else experienced this?

2)since my application they are now reviewing overseas applications and have removed info off the site! I hear they are reviewing if nurses should be degree trained and not diploma. If this is true, I am working on my degree at the moment but I won't have paperwork until September stating I have it (if I pass).

My problem is, if I re submit my application and number 2 is true, I will lose YET AGAIN my application fee. I fly on the 30 th April (Visa is in place) and I'm in a catch 20 situation! I can't apply for jobs without registration etc.

Hi sorry to gate crash your thread, but I couldn't work out how to start a new one! I'm going bonkers and desperately need some advice!......

1)i have recently had my AHPRA application cancelled due to my documents not been certified correctly! Apparently! I paid the courts for a justice of the peace to certify, a district judge has signed them but AHPRA state this is incorrect even though he has sent a link proving he is a JUstice of the Peace, however he does not have a JP number. Has anyone else experienced this?

2)since my application they are now reviewing overseas applications and have removed info off the site! I hear they are reviewing if nurses should be degree trained and not diploma. If this is true, I am working on my degree at the moment but I won't have paperwork until September stating I have it (if I pass).

My problem is, if I re submit my application and number 2 is true, I will lose YET AGAIN my application fee. I fly on the 30 th April (Visa is in place) and I'm in a catch 20 situation! I can't apply for jobs without registration etc.

Is this correct about AHPRA wanting Degree trained people as opposed to Diploma trained. cheers Ned

There are plenty of us student nurses on here working hard with the same plans. I am going on a permanent resident visa and by the time all the paperwork will have completed it will be at least 6 months post qualification. I also believe this is the minimum amount of time needed to work in the UK in case you return to the UK in the future, where you wouldn't have to re study.

Hi just to give you a bit of an realistic idea on timelines, I qualified back in April last year and am just applying for ANMAC skills assessment now (wanted to work for a bit first to save some cash/get some experience).

The professional reference that ANMAC require (demonstrating that you are a practicing Registered Nurse) has to be from a post that you have held for at least 3 months post-qualifying. Bearing in mind it takes about a month to get your pin from qualifying, it will be at the very minimum 4 months post-qualifying that you will be able to get a professional reference and submit your ANMAC paperwork, and at the moment the ANMAC skills assessments are taking up to 3-4 months to be processed.

You need the skills assessment before you can register your Expression of Interest for the PR visa, and from EOI to being granted your visa can take around 2 months, so is more likely to be nearer 10-12 months for the whole process, which should help when you do emigrate as then you will have a year of post-grad experience by then anyway

Archived