Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Hi Sam I've joined an agency initially and have been told I can have as many shifts as I want, having said that I'm just finalising things so not started officially yet. I get loads of emails from seek with jobs but again haven't applied, though there is a respiratory nurse role I'm going to apply for so may have more info soon to pass on! Make sure you bring your latest certs onc CPR as I've shipped mine and had to do an online one and then follow it up with a practical this week before I can start work, cost $55! Everyone I speak to reckons I shouldn't have a problem getting job so we shall see! I'm quite enjoying being off and just floating around playing with my new house! When you hoping to get over?

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Sam I've joined an agency initially and have been told I can have as many shifts as I want, having said that I'm just finalising things so not started officially yet. I get loads of emails from seek with jobs but again haven't applied, though there is a respiratory nurse role I'm going to apply for so may have more info soon to pass on! Make sure you bring your latest certs onc CPR as I've shipped mine and had to do an online one and then follow it up with a practical this week before I can start work, cost $55! Everyone I speak to reckons I shouldn't have a problem getting job so we shall see! I'm quite enjoying being off and just floating around playing with my new house! When you hoping to get over?

Hi Nic,

Sounds lovely...I'm looking forward to spending timje settling in too, we are aiming for end of June when our eldest has finished her GCSE's, she's put so much effort in she needs the chance to tick that box off..TBH I need the time to get ready for coming over, Thanks for the heads up re CPR cert...will my in house hospital certs be enough?

Where about on the gold coast did you land in the end hon, my pal moved over to Perth and is working for a nursing agency and loves it...three patients per nurse on each shift! She says it brilliant! Sure beats one RGN to 24 patients on a late eh! We stayed in Burleigh Heads for a long weekend in Feb, when we were over, its stunning! and it will be my nearest beach, we'll be about an hour away in Ipswich we should all meet up?

Thanks practicenurse, so if I sit the academic ielts and get 7 in each, I meet the criteria for ANMAC, but I could then sit the general to get 8 for extra points is that right?

Yeah you can do that, or if your able to get at least 8s in the academic then hopefully you just need to do it the once! Unlike me. I was always 1/2 a point short on the reading test. Absolute nightmare!

Good luck! :-)

Hi everyone,

If Im on my partners visa do I still need to do ILETS to work as a nurse or is a high school statement and details of my degree enough ??

Thanks

Gayle

Hi Gayle,

You need 7's in all four areas of IELTS for AHPRA ...to register as a nurse....I think? Check out the AHPRA website for international registants

Good Luck

Hi everyone,

If Im on my partners visa do I still need to do ILETS to work as a nurse or is a high school statement and details of my degree enough ??

Thanks

Gayle

A letter from your secondary school confirming you attended full time for 5years is enough for AHPRA.

If you can't get a letter then IELTS is the way to go.

Hi , query about ANMAC professional reference. My NHS trust has a generalised 2 sides of A4 band 5 nurses job description .... obviously too much to get my manager to copy and paste all if it onto job ref letter . Is this what other nurses did ? do i need this much info ? or can it be cut right back to fit on 1 side a4? or can it just be attached / stapled to my reference letter e.g ' please see attached job description' thanks

Hi, just thought I d post here. I m a theatre nurse, and came to oz on holiday in 2006 and basically walked into theatre for a chat with the nurse unit manager and got offered a job. Kept in touch with her throughout visa process and never actually made it here till aug 2012. It's a very different story now. That same manager could only offer casual, as Queensland health is on its arse like NHL budget wise. I got casual at public and private hospital nearby ( redcliffe) , but there are very few or nearly no permanent posts. I ve got a temp contract now till Xmas that I hope will be renewed. It's just a bad time here now too. Good luck to everyone else, but my experience so far, if you get permanent well done

Hi!!!!

I wonder if anyone can help me please!!! I'm pretty much sorted with my ahpra application, I'm just confused whether I need to supply GCSE transcripts as well as certificates? (I have uni transcripts) I know some people have sent without and some with, of which both have been successful! So I just wanted some recent feedback?

I'm posting to the Melbourne office if anyone has posted there recently.

Also, I've been reading that some people had to provide proof of clinical/theory hours in uni? My transcript just details each module etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I didnt include any gcse info..its not relevant or asked for...you transcript from uni needs to b a full one with all hours detailed or wont be accepted..you need to explain to your uni that its the full one you need or they just send a basic one...good luck..its all explained on ahpra website

Hi!!!!

I wonder if anyone can help me please!!! I'm pretty much sorted with my ahpra application, I'm just confused whether I need to supply GCSE transcripts as well as certificates? (I have uni transcripts) I know some people have sent without and some with, of which both have been successful! So I just wanted some recent feedback?

Also, I've been reading that some people had to provide proof of clinical/theory hours in uni? My transcript just details each module etc.

Quite a few permanent mental health nurse jobs going in queensland though..I got one last week :)

QUOTE=sarahb23;1936349061]Hi, just thought I d post here. I m a theatre nurse, and came to oz on holiday in 2006 and basically walked into theatre for a chat with the nurse unit manager and got offered a job. Kept in touch with her throughout visa process and never actually made it here till aug 2012. It's a very different story now. That same manager could only offer casual, as Queensland health is on its arse like NHL budget wise. I got casual at public and private hospital nearby ( redcliffe) , but there are very few or nearly no permanent posts. I ve got a temp contract now till Xmas that I hope will be renewed. It's just a bad time here now too. Good luck to everyone else, but my experience so far, if you get permanent well done

Hi!!!!

I sent anything and everything I had, to air on the safe side. Worst that can happen? It's not needed and they shred it. Good luck :-)

Whe are the mental health jobs at? I have been looking for some time and there is non especially in Queensland.

Quite a few permanent mental health nurse jobs going in queensland though..I got one last week :)

QUOTE=sarahb23;1936349061]Hi, just thought I d post here. I m a theatre nurse, and came to oz on holiday in 2006 and basically walked into theatre for a chat with the nurse unit manager and got offered a job. Kept in touch with her throughout visa process and never actually made it here till aug 2012. It's a very different story now. That same manager could only offer casual, as Queensland health is on its arse like NHL budget wise. I got casual at public and private hospital nearby ( redcliffe) , but there are very few or nearly no permanent posts. I ve got a temp contract now till Xmas that I hope will be renewed. It's just a bad time here now too. Good luck to everyone else, but my experience so far, if you get permanent well done

Whe are the mental health jobs at? I have been looking for some time and there is non especially in Queensland.

The job situation in the Brisbane area is dire. The only recruitment seems to be by a few private hospitals and agencies.

Bear in mind that the public system is using agency as little as possible so there is nowhere near the amount of agency work around as there used to be

I got offered 3 interviews...all in rockhampton area..I only went for one though and got offered the job..its in gladstone, a grade 6 clinical nurse post

Yes....there may well be jobs in less popular areas but the reality is that most people want to live and work in the greater Brisbane area.....and there is a huge amount of competition there for the few jobs that become available

Hi everyone,

I have finally sent my APHRA stuff off to the Perth office and have been in touch with Western Australian Health Government to enquire about sponsored jobs. They have requested to have a phone interview with me this week. Does anyone have any advice as to what they might ask me or how to prepare?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Archived