Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Guest genorm

Nurses in South Australia have just received a 9% pay rise (that's 3% pa for the next 3 years). They also negotiated a "no staff cuts" clause, and those applying for Nurse/Midwife roles in South Australia can now do so with confidence.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nurses in South Australia have just received a 9% pay rise (that's 3% pa for the next 3 years). They also negotiated a "no staff cuts" clause, and those applying for Nurse/Midwife roles in South Australia can now do so with confidence.

Just thought I would add the news article....

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/south-australian-nurses-win-nine-per-cent-pay-rise-over-three-years/story-fni6uo1m-1226690390621

• 4 weeks later...
Hi wondering if anyone can help re nurse job and sponsorship situation in Australia right now. I have my ahpra, house is now on market and beginning to panic as dont have sponsorship or job yet. Any advice would be appreciated

cheers

Why not apply for 189 or 190 rather than sponsorship?

[h=2]Advice on nursing culture please, shift patterns, staff to patient ratios, good nights out!! [/h]

Hi All

I'm aiming to head to South Brisbane area next June and am wondering about nursing culture and practice over in QLD please? :wubclub:

I'm mainly wondering about shift patterns, do any of you do long days such as 7am - 9pm over three days as full time? On average how many nurses are their to patients and do you all enjoy the odd nursey nnite out?? :laugh:

Any thoughts, comments, info greatly recieved please.

Sam xx

Sam, was it you I was speaking to via pm a while back? I went offline for a while and then deleted all my pm's by mistake :wacko: I was speaking to a couple of people prior to that but forget who they were :embarrassed:..............it must be me age? :cry:

Hi Kev yep it was me, im glad to hear your ok...We got our visa through last Monday, V excited now and slighty nervous of course cos I need a job lol!

Hows Brigid and your family doing? Any more tips from your lady would be great, how's the employment situation going any better?

Thanks Sam, sorry about the loss of contact. Family is fine and my grand-daughter is here for good now, working at Australia Zoo.

The job situation is no better I'm afraid and Qld health is still tendering for voluntary redundancies, It appears that it's a deliberate ploy by the Liberal Gov't (according to the unions) to drive nurses to the private sector. The change in federal Gov't could bring about further change, for the better or worse is anyone's guess? It could all be changed by the time you arrive here so fingers crossed.

Johmdoe - I know your response was to Sam but thankyou for updating us periodically. QLD has always been my dream location but with 3 children to support I have to go where the work is. Its nice to be kept in the loop from a local so I really appreciate your feedback every now and again.

Hi All,

I am a critical care nurse with 17yrs experience and have a partner and 2 kids- age 1 and 2. We are currently applying for a skilled independent visa (189) and have our medicals this week!!! We are planning on going to Melbourne as partner has relatives there. Does anyone know which Hospitals should be avoided?? I know there are loads, but thinking probably the bigger ones in city? Also I am under the impression that the pay will be more, but I know the cost of living is also higher? Do you think it is good pay for nurses?

Thanks Sam, sorry about the loss of contact. Family is fine and my grand-daughter is here for good now, working at Australia Zoo.

The job situation is no better I'm afraid and Qld health is still tendering for voluntary redundancies, It appears that it's a deliberate ploy by the Liberal Gov't (according to the unions) to drive nurses to the private sector. The change in federal Gov't could bring about further change, for the better or worse is anyone's guess? It could all be changed by the time you arrive here so fingers crossed.

Thanks Kev, thats lovely to hear everyone's ok and I'm pleased your granddaughter got a job at Australia Zoo that's fab! I bet she's really pleased...

Thanks for the heads up, yep I'm hoping that things improve before we arrive, my master plan is it try to get onto a casual pool initially as Bridgit suggested, and then keep my eyes open for jobs on wards that I can apply for a permanent position?

What are the benefits or disadvantages to public hospitals compared to private? Ive heard that a couple of private hospitals have expanded and even

a new build planned for next year at springfields?

Say Hi to your lady wife x

Thanks Kev, thats lovely to hear everyone's ok and I'm pleased your granddaughter got a job at Australia Zoo that's fab! I bet she's really pleased...

Thanks for the heads up, yep I'm hoping that things improve before we arrive, my master plan is it try to get onto a casual pool initially as Bridgit suggested, and then keep my eyes open for jobs on wards that I can apply for a permanent position?

What are the benefits or disadvantages to public hospitals compared to private? Ive heard that a couple of private hospitals have expanded and even

a new build planned for next year at springfields?

Say Hi to your lady wife x

She says "Hi" back at yer :-)

It's a piece of string question Sam. I've heard some horror stories from the private sector and over the years, bridget has actually helped some nurses bale out of their 457's tied to private hospitals and found them employment in the public sector. That has all changed now though, with the public sector in the SE corner rarely taking on sponsorships.

OTOH, I know of some who love it in the private sector and who actually have their morning and arvo tea breaks sponsored by the hospital, with salmon sarnies and the like laid on. I think the private sector will expand more rapidly as many nurses who have taken redundancy from Qld health seek employment there....................indeed, I think the round of voluntary redundancies was a deliberate ploy by the Liberal Gov't to "feed" the private sector with more experienced nurses whilst at the same time opening up the doors of the public sector for new grads who will cost less. How those new grads will be mentored remains to be seen, if the public sector keeps hemorrhaging the experienced preceptors

Hi All,

...Does anyone know which Hospitals should be avoided??...

That depends very much on the type and subspecialty of ICU work you want to do. Are you looking for tertiary, or low level private CCU/ICU, or anything in between? Do you want cardiac, trauma, neuro, gen med or something else? Do you want all adult or all paeds, or a bit of both?

The bigger ICU's are: The Alfred, St Vincent's Public, Royal Melbourne & Royal Children's Hospital. Further out you have The Austin & Monash Medical Centre. I would suggest you gather your information, and do as I did back in 1986 - arrange a phone conversation to discuss working for them. I arranged it by phone. I would suggest these days arranging a phone conversation about the ICU and employment by email.

Hi All,

Also I am under the impression that the pay will be more, but I know the cost of living is also higher? Do you think it is good pay for nurses?

I'm out of touch with ICU pay in Vic public hospitals these days. But yes the cost of living is higher in Australia, than the UK from my experience in the UK in 2009.

She says "Hi" back at yer :-)

It's a piece of string question Sam. I've heard some horror stories from the private sector and over the years, bridget has actually helped some nurses bale out of their 457's tied to private hospitals and found them employment in the public sector. That has all changed now though, with the public sector in the SE corner rarely taking on sponsorships.

OTOH, I know of some who love it in the private sector and who actually have their morning and arvo tea breaks sponsored by the hospital, with salmon sarnies and the like laid on. I think the private sector will expand more rapidly as many nurses who have taken redundancy from Qld health seek employment there....................indeed, I think the round of voluntary redundancies was a deliberate ploy by the Liberal Gov't to "feed" the private sector with more experienced nurses whilst at the same time opening up the doors of the public sector for new grads who will cost less. How those new grads will be mentored remains to be seen, if the public sector keeps hemorrhaging the experienced preceptors

yeah makes sense and of course too much of a no no to admit publicly that that would be their intentions from the beginning...politics I wish it wasnt always so directly linked to healthcare...hey ho, no different than back here so at least something that I already understand :laugh:

I'll just have to hope that they are still recruiting into the pool? Is this still the case at the mo?

I'm still waiting on my AHPRHA as the docs were signed by a solicitor initially so I had to resend them signed again by a magistrate...consequently its pointless even contacting QLD health HR recruitments...but I will when its through and hopefully getting a little bit of a head start although my other thought was....will they even look at my emails/applications etc until I'm actually on QLD soil??

Thanks again for yours and your OH help :)

Hi,

I'm Vicky 35yrs and a staff nurse with acute medical experience, qualified for 7 yrs this November, my hubby is 39 and currently working for a well known supermarket chain. We are presently making tentative enquiries about moving out to oz, I've been looking at visas and think my best option is to go for a skilled independent subclass 189, we are looking at moving to either perth or Melbourne. When we've decided which one we are going to come over for a holiday as hubby has never been to oz whereas I spent 10 months travelling round when I was in my early twenties. Looking forward to getting to know you are all and benefiting from your experience.

Hi,

I'm Vicky 35yrs and a staff nurse with acute medical experience, qualified for 7 yrs this November, my hubby is 39 and currently working for a well known supermarket chain. We are presently making tentative enquiries about moving out to oz, I've been looking at visas and think my best option is to go for a skilled independent subclass 189, we are looking at moving to either perth or Melbourne. When we've decided which one we are going to come over for a holiday as hubby has never been to oz whereas I spent 10 months travelling round when I was in my early twenties. Looking forward to getting to know you are all and benefiting from your experience.

Hi vixg, welcome aboard!

Its a roller-coaster for sure, but once you get that grant well worth it, I've just been grated my 189 last week, still very excited and apprehensive but hey ho lifes an adventure!

I think the nursing career front isn't as easy as it perhaps once was in terms of getting a job, but I feel confident that one way or another I'll get a job I enjoy, I'm currently a Practice Development nurse, but with 20 years medical/care of the elderly experience I'm looking forward to trying for a staff nurse type post to learn the ozzy ropes so to speak...

Good Luck with the process are you looking to use an immigration agent?

Hi Samdom,

No at the moment i'm looking at trying to do everything myself, did you use an immigration agent?, if so which one did you use and were they expensive?. Also did you go to any expos or did you do all your research on the net?, and finally which ielts test did you go for academic or general?. Sorry for all the questions :huh:

Hi Samdom,

No at the moment i'm looking at trying to do everything myself, did you use an immigration agent?, if so which one did you use and were they expensive?. Also did you go to any expos or did you do all your research on the net?, and finally which ielts test did you go for academic or general?. Sorry for all the questions :huh:

Hi no worries re questions thats what this place is all about :yes:

I did use an immigration agent - John Adams at Immigration2oz and I can honestly say the team there is amazing! Its only a small family run business I think there's only John and three others, however He is always contactable and they made a complex process soo easy for me...I turned 40 in Jan which meant I automatically lost 10 points towards my 189 visa so was on 55 points even with my BSc in Nursing, however John was great and helped me with gaining the extra points via my IELTS test. We have to do the academic test for our AHPHRA nursing registration and that worried me, but with a little study ( I used Simone Bravermans internet e book and test marking service to practice with) and I gained the extra points needed...

John wasn't cheap but you pay in instalments at each stage of the process so I just factored it into the overall cost, and as I mentioned hon it certainly made the process feel easier for me. The cost of a visa has just shot up it cost me and my family about an extra £2500! Check out DIAC web pages for info on current charges..

Just going back to the IELTS test, the marking service I mentioned it invaluable as you do academic tests and email your essays to the markers who are all IELTS qualified and receive your marks back with advice on how to pick up more points as you go along! by the time I attended for my actual exam nothing was a surprise at all, and I felt confident because of all of the practice :)

The expo I went to was called Down Under Live (find them on the web) they are only £10 each and I found it really helpful... and that's where I met John as he provided a free visa assessment service at these events so great to meet somebody face to face and have a quick chat...

Let me know if Ican help with anything else? Good Luck :wink:

Sam

Thanks Samdom, I've been mostly online today trying to get my head around things, the visa cost is now $3250 for me and an additional $1760 for my hubby so eeekkk. We are also going to look at bringing our cat as she is our baby, we haven't got kids and not planning on any at the moment anyway. I think going to an expo would definitely be a good idea. So much to think about as well, we've told my parents what we're thinking about doing but haven't broached it with hubs parents yet. He's an only child and before he met me he hadn't flown for 35years before we went on honeymoon to the Maldives this june, then we came back and all hell broke loose with his job and that's when he suggested emigrating. Let me know how things go with you, really interesting reading.

Thanks Samdom, I've been mostly online today trying to get my head around things, the visa cost is now $3250 for me and an additional $1760 for my hubby so eeekkk. We are also going to look at bringing our cat as she is our baby, we haven't got kids and not planning on any at the moment anyway. I think going to an expo would definitely be a good idea. So much to think about as well, we've told my parents what we're thinking about doing but haven't broached it with hubs parents yet. He's an only child and before he met me he hadn't flown for 35years before we went on honeymoon to the Maldives this june, then we came back and all hell broke loose with his job and that's when he suggested emigrating. Let me know how things go with you, really interesting reading.

Will do and good luck with each step...especially when having difficult conversations with family

Mmmm can't say we're looking forward to that, at the moment we're looking at all our options is what visa could I get as the main applicant?, will I definitely get a job?, will hubby get a job. I think if we keep our options open re where we want to go/settle it might be a bit easier. I've just sent one of those eligibility assessments off to john adams so will be interested to see what he suggests. I think i'm going to look at booking an ielts test late this year beginning of next year.

I bet you're so excited about your move, where are you going?, have you already got a house and job sorted or will you do that when you get there?.

Archived