Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

hi guys, struggling to get an interview never mind a job. does anyone know anyone who is looking for a general nurse surgical or medical to go on 457 visa. i have send CV with some but not even any reply. Any agencies or anyone out there please. interested in Brisbane and i know its quite at the moment, Perth and Melbourne. or anywhere. am desperate to go now. Ahpra in principal letter received 2 wks agao.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi guys, struggling to get an interview never mind a job. does anyone know anyone who is looking for a general nurse surgical or medical to go on 457 visa. i have send CV with some but not even any reply. Any agencies or anyone out there please. interested in Brisbane and i know its quite at the moment, Perth and Melbourne. or anywhere. am desperate to go now. Ahpra in principal letter received 2 wks agao.

Have you tried all the international recruitment sites? X

Ive done the same albeit only 2 of us, Ive budgeted for one month but factored buying a cheap car. Its nice to see the amount needed slowly going down!

Believe me it isn't as daunting as it has to be. We followed most suggestions and are loving it here! One word of warning. There is no such thing as a cheap car here! I would budget for at least between $3000-7000 for anything with semi low km on the clock. Bear in mind cost of driving licences as well

:frown: Sorry to hear that. I moved to Perth in hope of a job as a RN but looks like a struggle....:arghh:

Hi folks,

I've got a quick question regarding pay bands in Oz. I am currently a Band 5 on Agenda for Change and am at pay point 18 (£22,903pa), and will have 4 years post-reg experience when we move.

What pay points would I commence at in Aus (specifically in WA or QLD)? Would I start at the bottom of the RN bandings and work my way up, or would I commence a few points in?

​Thanks in advance :-)

Hi guys,

I am trying to apply for a NABS bank account however they want an Australian address for the registration process! I have selected that I am not an Australian resident however it still seems to only want an Australian address. Am i missing something obvious here?

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi guys,

I am trying to apply for a NABS bank account however they want an Australian address for the registration process! I have selected that I am not an Australian resident however it still seems to only want an Australian address. Am i missing something obvious here?

Have you used the link at the top of this page. I've never known anyone asked for an Australian address if no joy maybe ask Rebecca on the NAB forum

Hi guys,

I used this link to register in the UK:

http://migrant.nabgroup.com/en

It asked me which state I wanted to emigrate to, but not for an address.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi i am wondering if anyone knows how to apply for a job in aus. I am due to qualify in march 2014 and just want a bit of info about how newly qualfied nurses can work in aus?

Welcome to the forum, there is a banner at the top of this page, they may be able to help http://www.healthcareaustralia.com.au/uk

Guest genorm

dave@internationalhealthcareresourcing.com

Have you used the link at the top of this page. I've never known anyone asked for an Australian address if no joy maybe ask Rebecca on the NAB forum

Thanks! I was trying to apply directly from the australian website! Many thanks!

Hi, was wandering if anyone could advise me on what to do regarding Learning Disability Nursing as I am currently working in Urgent Care, as a registered Learning Disability Nurse - looking to move out to Oz! advice would be much appreciated - I just don't know where to start! Cheers!

Hi, Join the club, there does not seem to be any LD Nurse jobs advertised, I had been looking for sponsorship but this proved impossible. There are LD jobs within non for profit organisations and charities but not Nursing jobs, I have tried to look with agencies etc too. Good luck and if you have any joy please let me know, I have applied to AMNAC for assessment then will apply for registration, maybe I will have more luck then. Paul

I will qualify soon with a mental heath nursing degree. I was wondering of those of you out there, do you all drive? it's a big concern of mine as I've never been confident with the idea of driving. It's my dream to move to australia and I'm worried it wont happen now

thanks

Nick

Hi i am wondering if anyone knows how to apply for a job in aus. I am due to qualify in march 2014 and just want a bit of info about how newly qualfied nurses can work in aus?

Hi Danielle, I have been qualified 18months and due to move to melbourne in next few weeks as ive got a job as a childrens nurse in one of their hospitals. In regard to your question about newly qualified nurses getting work in oz, it is very difficult. Most of the hospitals offer something called a graduate program, which is a bit like our preceptorship over here, with the grad program you will work in a hospital for 1 year and then hopefully you will get a permenant job. There is nothing to stop you from applying but priority is offered to australian and new zeland students. The grad programs are based on the state and then you just select what hospital you want to work in. When i first qualified i applied for every grad program, i had an excellent cv and personal statement and got a 1st in my degree, but no1 was interested coz i hadnt trained in oz. The only offer i got was for a small childrens ward, in a little tiny town with a few hundred people, i really wanted to live in the big cities so did not take this offer. But if you were willing to work in rural australia then you would stand a better chance. You would also need your nmc pin before you can apply for aphra (which is aus version of nmc) and you would have to get a visa sorted as well, this all takes alot of time but i think their grad programs start in june/july or jan/feb so that should give you time. another option is does your uni offer a placement abroad? my uni offered this for the final placement but the only catch is you have to organise everything and pay for everything yourself. If you don't get offered a position in the grad program, try and get some experience even bank or agency work counts as experience. i qualified sept 2011 and got offered my job in dec 2012, so been qualified just over 1year. Before that i had applied for jobs ever since i qualified and was never considered. Having that bit of experience does help, so far this year 2 other girls who qualified with me have got jobs in oz. If you have your heart set on going out to oz as soon as you qualify you could apply for aphra and get a working holiday visa (this entitles you to work in oz for 1year) possibly do a bit of travelling, look for a nursing job while you are over there and you would be able to do agency work as a nurse so could look for a job at the same time. This would obviously only be possible if you didnt have kids. I dont know much about this visa, as i am going on a sponsorship visa, which is where i have been offered a job and my employer sponsors me to come out for 4yrs, you can find info out on visas on the aus immigration website. Usually most employers say you need 2yrs experience, but as i have proved this is not always the case. In terms of applying for jobs you can apply direct through the hospitals websites or you can use an agency. good luck for when you do qualify and i hope you get a job in oz. Jess xxx

Hi Danielle, I have been qualified 18months and due to move to melbourne in next few weeks as ive got a job as a childrens nurse in one of their hospitals. In regard to your question about newly qualified nurses getting work in oz, it is very difficult. Most of the hospitals offer something called a graduate program, which is a bit like our preceptorship over here, with the grad program you will work in a hospital for 1 year and then hopefully you will get a permenant job. There is nothing to stop you from applying but priority is offered to australian and new zeland students. The grad programs are based on the state and then you just select what hospital you want to work in. When i first qualified i applied for every grad program, i had an excellent cv and personal statement and got a 1st in my degree,

Hi jess, congrats on the job offer! Where in Melbourne will u be heading to?

Did you get this job yourself or with help from an agency? I'm searching for a job (feels like all I do ) I'm in the process of starting my 189 perm visa but keen to get sponsorship to get my foot in the door :-). I've emailed so so many and joined a recruitment agency, recently re vamped my CV too.

Did you do your CV yourself or did a CV company do it?

Thanks

L

Hi practice nurse, im going to rch melbourne as im a childrens nurse. I just applied online through the hospitals website. I dont really know much about agencies but maybe just apply to as many as you can and go on lots of hospital websites. I did my CV myself. Just make sure your cv and personal statement is good. On my cv i put all the places i had worked, and a bit of info about what i did in each job. Ive been qualified just over 18months, but if you have been qualified a while maybe just put a bit of info bout ur recent job. Then also put my skills- eg meds/ivs/work in a team/communication etc. also put down my hobbies, qualifications and referees. Good luck getting a job. Hope this has helped you. Jess x

Hi, Join the club, there does not seem to be any LD Nurse jobs advertised, I had been looking for sponsorship but this proved impossible. There are LD jobs within non for profit organisations and charities but not Nursing jobs, I have tried to look with agencies etc too. Good luck and if you have any joy please let me know, I have applied to AMNAC for assessment then will apply for registration, maybe I will have more luck then. Paul

Hi I am disability trained nurse from the UK but presently working in mental health in Melbourne as jobs for registered nurses in this line of work in this state is very limited. Since I have been here there are greater opportunites outwith Victoria for RNLD's. I have attached some links where you will find jobs advetised for this branch of nursing. If you are looking at Victoria there just seems to be jobs for Disability Support workers which is not exceptionally well paid. Good luck :biggrin:

NSW:

http://www.adhc.nsw.gov.au/

http://www.globalcarestaff.com/page/affiliations.html

Queensland:

http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/di...itive-futures/

Victoria:

http://www.villamaria.com.au/

Hi practice nurse, im going to rch melbourne as im a childrens nurse. I just applied online through the hospitals website. I dont really know much about agencies but maybe just apply to as many as you can and go on lots of hospital websites. I did my CV myself. Just make sure your cv and personal statement is good. On my cv i put all the places i had worked, and a bit of info about what i did in each job. Ive been qualified just over 18months, but if you have been qualified a while maybe just put a bit of info bout ur recent job. Then also put my skills- eg meds/ivs/work in a team/communication etc. also put down my hobbies, qualifications and referees. Good luck getting a job. Hope this has helped you. Jess x

Thanks.. I will keep trying. I've only had one job since I qualified so it keeps my CV simple ;-)).

Well done on getting your job!!

How long will u be in Melbourne before u start your new job? Are u going alone?

Hi Practice nurse, good luck on job hunt. thanks. i am emigrating alone yes, and i dont know anyone over there, hoping to make plenty of friends, but a bit nervous. my parents are flying over with me and staying in melbourne for about 2wks before travelling round oz. i am due to start of 17th july, depending on if my visa is sorted by then. if i can book my medical soon, i am hoping to fly out at the end of june, so i can be there at least 2wks before i start. i wish i couldve gone earlier but there has just been so much messing around with my visa, it has been going on since march, so i thought i would be already out there by now. there is so much to sort out when i get over there, need police checks, need to sort out medicare, sort out tax numbers, find an apartment, etc and that doesnt count finding my way round a strange city in a strange country lol. sounds like i will be in need of a holiday before i start work. xx

Hi Practice nurse, good luck on job hunt. thanks. i am emigrating alone yes, and i dont know anyone over there, hoping to make plenty of friends, but a bit nervous. my parents are flying over with me and staying in melbourne for about 2wks before travelling round oz. i am due to start of 17th july, depending on if my visa is sorted by then. if i can book my medical soon, i am hoping to fly out at the end of june, so i can be there at least 2wks before i start. i wish i couldve gone earlier but there has just been so much messing around with my visa, it has been going on since march, so i thought i would be already out there by now. there is so much to sort out when i get over there, need police checks, need to sort out medicare, sort out tax numbers, find an apartment, etc and that doesnt count finding my way round a strange city in a strange country lol. sounds like i will be in need of a holiday before i start work. xx

Fantastic!! I think it's great your going out and brave enough to do it alone!!

Life's too short and u gotta get out there and live your life!! I'm doing it with my husband and 2kids but we've never been to aus and don't know anyone there either. But I'm so excited!!!

:-) where are u from in UK?

Hi I am disability trained nurse from the UK but presently working in mental health in Melbourne as jobs for registered nurses in this line of work in this state is very limited. Since I have been here there are greater opportunites outwith Victoria for RNLD's. I have attached some links where you will find jobs advetised for this branch of nursing. If you are looking at Victoria there just seems to be jobs for Disability Support workers which is not exceptionally well paid. Good luck :biggrin:

NSW:

http://www.adhc.nsw.gov.au/

http://www.globalcarestaff.com/page/affiliations.html

Queensland:

http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/di...itive-futures/

Victoria:

http://www.villamaria.com.au/

Hi,

thanks for the info, I will look into the sites that you have given. I will concentrate on NSW and Melbourne which is where I would move with family over there. Any info and advice would be gratefully received. LD Nurses are hard to find over there.

cheers

​Paul

Archived